• The KillerFrogs

2023-2024 European Football Thread

dawg

Meanwhile, a live look at @tcujsauce:

f0695965d55b93bcc8a28341b786852f.jpg

Chongo94

Lol, a Canadian wins the champions league before an American. I realize it’s not the USSF’s fault but any chance I can get to needle them, I’ll take it.

Eight

Ha yeah, the guy who takes arguably the best (or perhaps best of the younger players) defensive mid/ball winning mid in the Bundesliga this season and plays him at right back.

Sigh...

worked at columbus.....well, actually the system worked okay at columbus, but the mls is close to the bundesliga right?

Portland Frog

Apparently, Chelsea signed Ben Chillwell today. They are apparently following the City model of FFP.

Well recall Chelsea was under a ban last year. I don't know exactly how FFP works, but I doubt they would be recklessly signing players without regards to it. Most teams sign players in transfer windows, or should to try and improve.

Chongo94

Well recall Chelsea was under a ban last year. I don't know exactly how FFP works, but I doubt they would be recklessly signing players without regards to it. Most teams sign players in transfer windows, or should to try and improve.

Theres no way Chelsea has this kind of money though, especially if they bring in Havertz and another keeper as they have stated they intend to do so as well. FFP basically means they cannot spend more than they bring in over a set period of time, as I understand it....or at least that was how it was intended to work before City and PSG just basically ignored it and Fifa did nothing.

So even with Chelsea’s ban last year, which wasn’t even a full year, there’s no way they are able to afford all these players and potential players and maintain FFP adherence. In fact, Chelsea recorded a $90 some odd million shortfall I believe this past season in 2019.

Now, it could be they look at some of these as investments and plan to sell them on within three years, which I think would then not necessarily count against them and could bring about a profit thus allowing them to clear FFP rules. That’s if I understand FFP correctly. And also, I am discounting the relaxing of FFP rules as FIFA basically threw in the towel.

If you count Pulisic, which I believe he would be included in this FFP period, they’ve spent over $230-240 million or so and they definitely didn’t bring anything in to equal that on transfers. And that is still before the $90 million Havertz transfer and however much a keeper will cost. Even with gate receipts and tv share money, when you factor in operating expenses, they aren’t close to FFP stuff.

Im not dogging Chelsea, Portland, just kinda pointing out that this whole FFP stuff is nonsense at this point. And I’m envious of teams like Chelsea and City (to a certain extent) that go out there and know what they want and money whip them into transferring.

Chongo94

In fact, when you really think about it, Chelsea is probably way ahead of the game than everybody else is at this point.

They recognized the slackening of FFP this year by FIFA and are taking full advantage. This is probably the perfect time to do so and they’re running with it. It’s actually pretty dang smart.