• The KillerFrogs

2020 TCU Offensive Coordinator Nominee: Jeff Lebby UCF

Wexahu

How about instead of worrying about schemes, we just get a WR coach that can fix the drops. That would cure 50% of the passing game problems.

The WR coach might be a problem, but it's not near the top of the list IMO. And a WR coach isn't going to fix drops very easily.

Moose Stuff

How about instead of worrying about schemes, we just get a WR coach that can fix the drops. That would cure 50% of the passing game problems.

Maybe the drops aren’t the WR coaches fault? Maybe the WR just can’t catch. Not a whole lot different than a baseball player that is a poor defender. I can hit a guy a million ground balls and if his eyes/hands/feet don’t work he’s never gonna be a solid defender. I can make him better than he was but there’s a limit to that.

Last edited:

robbroyy

Maybe the drops aren’t the WR coaches fault? Maybe the WR just can’t catch. Not a whole lot different than a baseball player that is a poor defender. I can’t hit a guy a million ground balls and if his eyes/hands/feet don’t work he’s never gonna be a solid defender. I can make him better than he was but there’s a limit to that.
But the whole group being that way makes it seem like it’s something not being taught in practice. There’s been problems with every receiver all year catching on the run by themselves or standing in traffic or just stopped by themselves.

cheese83

But the whole group being that way makes it seem like it’s something not being taught in practice. There’s been problems with every receiver all year catching on the run by themselves or standing in traffic or just stopped by themselves.
That was like that the last few years minus Reagor. Malcolm Kelly just arrived and I think he deserves a little time.

Putt4Purple

True but that is more techi. practice

It is more of a confidence, repetition problem. The receivers are not confident in their route responsibilities and or QB whomever it is, thus the drops.

robbroyy

I do think it would help our receivers if our QB wasn't trying to beat Nolan Ryan's strike out record.
Passes like the one to Hunt on Saturday were perfect. Not the QBs fault at all. Some have been too fast yes, but this is the Big 12, you have to make plays when you get your hands on the ball.

M

mkel43

Not sure if this has been discussed or if it's even a good idea but if Fuente get's canned at VT should GP go out and bring him back as his new OC? We had pretty good success the last time it was set up like that.

Pharm Frog

Maybe the drops aren’t the WR coaches fault? Maybe the WR just can’t catch. Not a whole lot different than a baseball player that is a poor defender. I can hit a guy a million ground balls and if his eyes/hands/feet don’t work he’s never gonna be a solid defender. I can make him better than he was but there’s a limit to that.

So it’s possible that our WR’s aren’t very talented?

flyfishingfrog

isn't Anderson our current WR coach or I am getting that confused with one of his previous stops?

Salfrog

Tier 1
isn't Anderson our current WR coach or I am getting that confused with one of his previous stops?

You are correct. He is coaching receivers again, so there is one reason the receivers are bad. He wasn't very good the last time he was coaching receivers, but GP just keeps moving him around until he can find a position that he can coach. Still hasn't happened yet.

flyfishingfrog

You are correct. He is coaching receivers again, so there is one reason the receivers are bad. He wasn't very good the last time he was coaching receivers, but GP just keeps moving him around until he can find a position that he can coach. Still hasn't happened yet.
that would explain why they don't know how to run routes, can't get separation, can't block and take plays off if they are not the first or second option...

I keep hoping he retires to go coach his youngest as the QB to the 7x7 touch football championship...

that would explain why they don't know how to run routes, can't get separation, can't block and take plays off if they are not the first or second option...

I keep hoping he retires to go coach his youngest as the QB to the 7x7 touch football championship...
Specifically, he coaches inside receivers. Malcolm Kelly coaches the outside receivers.

Eight

Passes like the one to Hunt on Saturday were perfect. Not the QBs fault at all. Some have been too fast yes, but this is the Big 12, you have to make plays when you get your hands on the ball.

hunt missed some shorter routes and max missed hunt when he was wide open on a deep route on the frogs third offensive play of the game.

truth be told, both team's quarterbacks missed multiple receivers deep last saturday

robbroyy

curious if with kelly being young and new to coaching if he takes his lead from anderson or sets his own way
Well one of the best catches of the day was from Barber as an inside receiver on a corner route to the sidelines.

I can’t imagine there’s a lot of difference if any how inside and outside are taught but must be some if there’s the need for 2 receiver coaches

PO Frog

Well one of the best catches of the day was from Barber as an inside receiver on a corner route to the sidelines.

I can’t imagine there’s a lot of difference if any how inside and outside are taught but must be some if there’s the need for 2 receiver coaches
Probably the same reason we need two defensive line coaches but can't find room for anyone to focus on special teams.