• The KillerFrogs

2020 Recruiting Thread

Froggish

Wonder if we have any interest. Looks like a DE in GPs world

Edit...He’s thick but to short for a DE. Knock on him has been his speed and thus I doubt he fits in GPs system

Froggish

post on another site about a transfer on campus
there was a photo and it looked like a WR or back, not a lineman

At some point folks have to grasp that GP actually wants DEs that are light and can run. It’s his system. LJ was an absolute exception to rule. I highly doubt we ever have another DE that weighs north of 250-260 again.

Wexahu

At some point folks have to grasp that GP actually wants DEs that are light and can run. It’s his system. LJ was an absolute exception to rule. I highly doubt we ever have another DE that weighs north of 250-260 again.

Not a fan of this philosophy at all. You’re not going to beat the big boys running a 4-2-5 with 235 lb DEs paired with 210-215 lb linebackers, no matter how fast they run. You go into games having to overcompensate scheme-wise just to keep from getting run over.

asleep003

Wonder if we have any interest. Looks like a DE in GPs world

Edit...He’s thick but to short for a DE. Knock on him has been his speed and thus I doubt he fits in GPs system

Maybe if we look at a 2* 6'2" 215lb Jerry Hughes, that was developed into a 2 time consensus All American DE ... possibly this kid is a quality candidate for a DE.

flyfishingfrog

39-34 Big 12 record. 18-19 record in last 4 years.

I just personally don’t think the speed, speed and more speed approach is all that effective in major college football. Our linebackers and safeties were always bigger back when GP was winning all those games that resulted in a statue. Am I wrong?
Well he makes $5+ mil a year, has the most wins our history, the second longest tenured coach in CFP and has a statue

you are some guy that has too much time on his hands so you post 1000 opinions a month and get paid for none of them

I think I will stick with GP being right over you on this one

froginmn

I just personally don’t think the speed, speed and more speed approach is all that effective in major college football. Our linebackers and safeties were always bigger back when GP was winning all those games that resulted in a statue. Am I wrong?
Yes. Tank Carder was 6 2 and 215 when recruited. Tanner Brock was 6 4 210. Kenny Cain was 6 1 210.

Last edited:

Peacefrog

Degenerate

Which is still one of the better Big 12 records over that time period. The defense hasn’t finished worse than 4th since joining and is usually 1st. Defense hasn’t been the problem.

There aren’t that many 260 pound DE with talent out there and those that are end up at Alabama, etc. We would all like to have bigger guys I .org talent and athleticism. You take what you can get and works within your system best.

Eight

peacefrog nailed it when he said it isn't a matter of tcu choosing to go lighter at defensive end, but there is a finite number of prospects available each year who either have that size from the start or the frame to carry the weight eventually and skill set to play outside.

since the frogs have joined the big 12 the two "bigger" defensive ends have been lathan and collier and both were very, very effective in gary's scheme.

the frogs have tried to recruit de's who had the potential to grow into bigger defensive ends in prospects such as toll and umanmielen this year, mowry and warren in 2019, and ta'quon graham in 2017.

i think colt will be close to if not over 250 next fall and i think the formula has always been if you have to choose between quickness versus size opt for the quickness.

y2kFrog

That record is way more to do with a bad offense then anything to do with the defense.

Latest posts