• The KillerFrogs

2020 “Other” Bowl Games

CountryFrog

Miami finished 3rd, but UNC beat them...
UNC didn't just beat them. It was one of the most epic beat downs in recent history.

Purely going by W-L though I guess Miami is 3rd place. Just hard to think that they're 3rd "best" with the way that game played out. Either way, neither one of them are great teams so point taken.

froginmn

UNC didn't just beat them. It was one of the most epic beat downs in recent history.

Purely going by W-L though I guess you can say Miami is 3rd best. Just hard to think that with the way that game played out. Either way, neither one of them are great teams so point taken.
Yeah we finished 5th in Big 12 but beat the 3rd and 4th place finishers.

Zubaz

That was a fun game to watch. Let the Aggies enjoy their squeak out victory, everyone saw they didn't really belong in the CFP after that performance but it was still fun as heck to watch.

Frog-in-law1995

They definitely shouldn't. Whether they will or not who knows.

I actually think Oklahoma should move up to 5 ahead of A&M but doubt that will happen.

Not sure why they “definitely” shouldn’t. Tough to stay in the top 4 with back-to-back losses while #5 beats #13. I agree OU would beat them. Notre Dame, too, probably, but Aggies only lost once. That’s gonna matter in the polls.

CountryFrog

Not sure why they “definitely” shouldn’t. Tough to stay in the top 4 with back-to-back losses while #5 beats #13. I agree OU would beat them. Notre Dame, too, probably, but Aggies only lost once. That’s gonna matter in the polls.
Let me re-phrase - In my opinion they definitely shouldn't go ahead of Notre Dame. I'm not talking about what will or will not happen with the polls because I have no idea. There's probably a 50/50 chance they move up to 4 maybe even slightly better than 50/50.

CountryFrog

I agree. If A&M isn’t top 4 it’ll be because they got jumped by OU. ND’s gonna fall a few.
You could be right but then what about Clemson? They would also have 2 losses with the most recent being a pretty uncompetitive loss.

I haven't paid much attention in the last few years to how much the poll voters punish playoff teams who lose their 1st game but I suppose you could make a case for A&M even going up to 3. I don't think it would be a very good case imo but I'm sure at least some voters will probably do it.

flyfishingfrog

You don’t think they’ll move ahead of Notre Dame?
I was referring to the fact that the only poll that matters anymore is the CFP- and they don’t rank again after the bowls

That is unless your team got left out and then you want the post season AP to count I guess

by the way, Norte Dame beat UNC by 14 also during the season, with all of the UNC starters and didn’t need a cheap touchdown at the end to get that margin - so not sure Aggy has a true argument except that they only have 2 losses since they didn’t play in a CCG

Frog-in-law1995

I was referring to the fact that the only poll that matters anymore is the CFP- and they don’t rank again after the bowls

That is unless your team got left out and then you want the post season AP to count I guess

by the way, Norte Dame beat UNC by 14 also during the season, with all of the UNC starters and didn’t need a cheap touchdown at the end to get that margin - so not sure Aggy has a true argument except that they only have 2 losses since they didn’t play in a CCG

I like to think TCU finished 2014 ranked higher than Baylor, but I guess there’s an argument that we didn’t.

And since you brought it up, Notre Dame scored a TD with 1:20 left in the 4th quarter against UNC to win by 14. The Aggies scored their last TD with 1:34.

Also, the Aggies have only lost once.

froginmn

I like to think TCU finished 2014 ranked higher than Baylor, but I guess there’s an argument that we didn’t.

And since you brought it up, Notre Dame scored a TD with 1:20 left in the 4th quarter against UNC to win by 14. The Aggies scored their last TD with 1:34.

Also, the Aggies have only lost once.
Completely understand your point, but I think it's silly that because you play Alabama in the CFP you will drop in the final poll.

As stated by fly fishing, you have two common data points - ND loss by a narrower margin to Bama and equal wins over UNC, with UNC being very depleted in the bowl. No idea what NC looked like when ND played them, though.

I think you know there is a big distinction in the Baylor TCU comparison. We played teams of similar capabilities with very different results.

Frog-in-law1995

Completely understand your point, but I think it's silly that because you play Alabama in the CFP you will drop in the final poll.

As stated by fly fishing, you have two common data points - ND loss by the a narrower margin to Bama and equal wins over UNC, with UNC being very depleted in the bowl.

Oh, I’m confident ND is the better team, and maybe they stay at 4. But somebody has dropped from the top 4 every year of the playoffs except that year #3 and #4 won the semis.

edit: and there is no distinction needed for the TCU/Baylor comparison. My point is that the final selection committee rankings are not the season ending rankings. The polls after bowl season still count, as they always have.

Last edited:

PurpleBlood87

Personally I was disappointed to see that the Film Room for the National Championship Game will be on ESPN3.
With my luck my WIFI will go out that night.

Latest posts