• The KillerFrogs

2019-20 Tcu Men’s Basketball Coaching Thread

LVH

Top Realistic Candidates(my list)

1. Craig Smith, Utah State - Has won quickly everywhere he has gone, but Utah State is a good job with great fan support and they should be good again next year, although he did walk away from a loaded South Dakota team this past offseason to go to USU.

2. Mark Schmidt, St. Bonaventure - Great Xs and Os guy but you have to wonder how he would recruit in Texas, as his strategy is to recruit Canada, which is easy to do near the Canadian Border in upstate NY.

3. Scott Cross, Troy - Local prescence but is he ready? Resume is a bit thin.

4. Casey Alexander, Lipscomb - Will his system work in a P5 league?

5. Russ Turner, UC Irvine - Has spent entire coaching career in California so one would have to wonder if he could make the geographical move.

6. Brian Wardle, Bradley - Great team basketball mind and hard nosed on the defensive end, but would fans be OK with his slow paced, defense first style?

Top Retread Candidates

1. Thad Matta - Does he want to come back?

2. Avery Johnson - Is he interested in another college job? Can recruit but can he coach?

3. Steve Alford - Was good at New Mexico before UCLA.

4. Rick Pitino (blech) - I'd rather not but he is out there

5. Mike Anderson - Probably too old

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
I wonder if it will be an established veteran coach or a more recently hired head coach.
My money is on us trying to find "the next Beard", an up and coming coach who recruits well and could maybe bring transfer(s). But again, count me in the camp of this doesn't happen.

SnoSki

A friend mentioned this guy and I’m interested if you could surround him with recruiters:

Ben McCollum.

D2 national champion head coach, won it all twice in the last 3 years while at NW Missouri State. Racked up a 100-5 record in that time. Only 37.

Guessing he knows a thing or two about basketball.

Portland Frog

My money is on us trying to find "the next Beard", an up and coming coach who recruits well and could maybe bring transfer(s). But again, count me in the camp of this doesn't happen.

I'd be ok with this. Of course no one yet knows, but I hope the frogs can keep the 3 players already with LOIs for 2019/20. Captain Obvious yah, but hopefully the new coach can sway them to stay.

Atomic Frawg

Top Realistic Candidates(my list)

1. Craig Smith, Utah State - Has won quickly everywhere he has gone, but Utah State is a good job with great fan support and they should be good again next year, although he did walk away from a loaded South Dakota team this past offseason to go to USU.

2. Mark Schmidt, St. Bonaventure - Great Xs and Os guy but you have to wonder how he would recruit in Texas, as his strategy is to recruit Canada, which is easy to do near the Canadian Border in upstate NY.

3. Scott Cross, Troy - Local prescence but is he ready? Resume is a bit thin.

4. Casey Alexander, Lipscomb - Will his system work in a P5 league?

5. Russ Turner, UC Irvine - Has spent entire coaching career in California so one would have to wonder if he could make the geographical move.

6. Brian Wardle, Bradley - Great team basketball mind and hard nosed on the defensive end, but would fans be OK with his slow paced, defense first style?

Top Retread Candidates

1. Thad Matta - Does he want to come back?

2. Avery Johnson - Is he interested in another college job? Can recruit but can he coach?

3. Steve Alford - Was good at New Mexico before UCLA.

4. Rick Pitino (blech) - I'd rather not but he is out there

5. Mike Anderson - Probably too old
I'd add Kelvin Sampson to that list.

LVH

A friend mentioned this guy and I’m interested if you could surround him with recruiters:

Ben McCollum.

D2 national champion head coach, won it all twice in the last 3 years while at NW Missouri State. Racked up a 100-5 record in that time. Only 37.

Guessing he knows a thing or two about basketball.

Missouri tried the hire a successful D2 coach strategy and he did not work out at all.

LeagueCityFrog

Kelvin Sampson is my vote. I live in greater H-Town and love their style of angry play. Coogs have been playing exciting basketball. Sampson probably wouldn't mind coaching in the Big XII again and against his former employer Oklahoma.

Let's get him.

PO Frog

I wanted Billy Clyde before we got TJ or whenever that was. Would probably still take him. Maybe he’d be grateful for the opportunity.

purple passion

Time to think outside the box. There is a coach who has (1) won a national championship as a player, an assistant coach; and a head coach; (2) won multiple conference championships and tournament championships; and (3) whose hire would simultaneously raise TCU's basketball profile not just nationally but globally and at the same time send the fans of one our closest rivals into apoplexy.

KIM MULKEY!

SnoSki

Missouri tried the hire a successful D2 coach strategy and he did not work out at all.

I’m not super attached to the idea but there are no guarantees. One coach failing when they jump up a level doesn’t mean all will.

Not CBB but I’m interested to see what happens with the new KSU football coach.

Hornedfrog431

We need a coach that is good enough to keep these kids and recruits. Internal or external. We do not need a complete rebuild. We’ve recruited better each year and our talent has went up each year. A rebuild would be a disaster. Not very many names from this list would garner that. I have a feeling there are more names out there.

TCUdirtbag

Beard’s pre-Tech resume included:
- coaching under Knight at Tech having recruited the region
- being a really good D2 coach in the same recruiting region
- taking UALR to the Tournament in his one year there

As I think you were getting at, that’s likely gonna be impossible to replicate