• The KillerFrogs

2018 Bowl Game TV Guide w/ Spreads

Dogfrog

Is it really too much to ask G5 programs, if they want to play on the same field as the P5 teams, to schedule only P5 programs for their OOC games? Or at the very least mostly P5 teams?

Pretty disingenuous to pretend that all a decent G5 school has to do is pick up the phone to schedule P5 opponents.

Wexahu

Pretty disingenuous to pretend that all a decent G5 school has to do is pick up the phone to schedule P5 opponents.

Not really. It's not nearly as hard as people make it seem. The only thing is there's a very good chance they don't get a return home game. BFD. All P5 teams go on the road and play heavyweights every year. I know this, they can schedule a hell of a lot better than they do.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Not really. It's not nearly as hard as people make it seem. The only thing is there's a very good chance they don't get a return home game. BFD. All P5 teams go on the road and play heavyweights every year. I know this, they can schedule a hell of a lot better than they do.

You’ve done a lot of them, have you?

Eight

huh......so ucf or memphis playing every non-conference game away at a p5 schools with no chance at a return home game isn't really a hard thing even though their ad's will now have to explain to their fan base and their head coaches why this is better for there programs with no guarantee from the cfp committee that will be enough for a spot.

you really do bend the parameters of things to fit your argument on this don't you

3HeH.gif

Wexahu

huh......so ucf or memphis playing every non-conference game away at a p5 schools with no chance at a return home game isn't really a hard thing even though their ad's will now have to explain to their fan base and their head coaches why this is better for there programs with no guarantee from the cfp committee that will be enough for a spot.

you really do bend the parameters of things to fit your argument on this don't you

3HeH.gif

I know my examples are probably extreme and not all that tenable but I don't see much effort by those programs in really sticking their necks out and risking wins, mostly it's a bunch of dodging competition and then complaining that they aren't getting the respect they "deserve". And I'm not in favor of excluding them but I'm also not in favor of any sort of automatic bid where they are given a spot just so everyone is "included" in the process.

froginmn

I know my examples are probably extreme and not all that tenable but I don't see much effort by those programs in really sticking their necks out and risking wins, mostly it's a bunch of dodging competition and then complaining that they aren't getting the respect they "deserve".
So how would we "see" or not see effort like that?

What specifically have you seen or not?

Wexahu

So how would we "see" or not see effort like that?

What specifically have you seen or not?

Just look at who they play in OOC. If they don't play any good teams and they include FCS programs, they aren't giving much effort in narrowing the gap between their schedules and the schedules of the teams they want to be compared against.

Zubaz

Just look at who they play in OOC. If they don't play any good teams and they include FCS programs, they aren't giving much effort in narrowing the gap between their schedules and the schedules of the teams they want to be compared against.
So, just to review and make sure that
-G5 can't get in right now, because their schedule is so weak.
-Part of their weak schedule includes a weak OOC, so they should get quality P5 teams on their OOC.
-No quality P5 teams will agree to play them OOC, at least not the way those games are traditionally scheduled.
-To remedy this, they would need to take three (at least) rough road games on a one-and-done basis. This would result in their athletic departments taking a significant financial hit when they are left with four home games in a year.
-Do all this, and it's about 50/50 that you might get in to the CFP if you go undefeated (but still probably not).

Is that about right?

Wexahu

So, just to review and make sure that
-G5 can't get in right now, because their schedule is so weak.
-Part of their weak schedule includes a weak OOC, so they should get quality P5 teams on their OOC.
-No quality P5 teams will agree to play them OOC, at least not the way those games are traditionally scheduled.
-To remedy this, they would need to take three (at least) rough road games on a one-and-done basis. This would result in their athletic departments taking a significant financial hit when they are left with four home games in a year.
-Do all this, and it's about 50/50 that you might get in to the CFP if you go undefeated (but still probably not).

Is that about right?

That's an extreme way to describe it. Let's just say they can do a lot better than they currently do. UCF can do better than South Carolina State, North Carolina, Florida Atlantic and Pitt if they wanted to. This year they played 1 P5 team and just 5 teams that made Bowl games (very lowly Bowls I might add) and people want to complain about them not having a chance in a playoff. It's ridiculous.

Zubaz

That's an extreme way to describe it. Let's just say they can do a lot better than they currently do. UCF can do better than South Carolina State, North Carolina, Florida Atlantic and Pitt if they wanted to. This year they played 1 P5 team and just 5 teams that made Bowl games (very lowly Bowls I might add) and people want to complain about them not having a chance in a playoff. It's ridiculous.
They can certainly do better, I'm not arguing that. But to get to the level that you are talking about, "doing better" comes at a significant cost to their athletic department it appears since they'd have to sacrifice an entire OOC slate of home games, and even then there's no guarantee (I'd argue it remains below 50%) that they'd get in.

CountryFrog

They can certainly do better, I'm not arguing that. But to get to the level that you are talking about, "doing better" comes at a significant cost to their athletic department it appears since they'd have to sacrifice an entire OOC slate of home games, and even then there's no guarantee (I'd argue it remains below 50%) that they'd get in.
Good thing for them is that they've all got plenty of money from those massive TV deals that all the G5 teams have, so lost revenue from fewer home games shouldn't hurt them at all.

netty2424

That's kind of an extreme example, don't you think? There's no perfect scenario, I'm just trying to think of what might be the best system knowing that there would be some give and take. In any event, not everyone will be satisfied. For example, I'd pretty much guarantee if they let a G5 team in every year and they are losing 24-0 at halftime to the #1 team and being totally dominated (which would happen quite often IMO) there'd be a whole bunch of negative reaction to that. I think every team having a mulligan of sorts is good but when you start including 3-4 loss teams the regular season starts getting watered down quite a bit.
Is it extreme? Your point was specifically that they had their shot during regular season. By that metric, only undefeated teams should be allowed in. The others had their shot, right?

I personally don’t think having to run the table during regular season for 99% of the programs is the best approach in determining the best team. Players get hurt, road games vs home games, weather, etc etc etc. it’s a long season and ship happens. TCU’s schedule basically gets flipped on its head every other year based on our road vs home schedule, just another example.

It just defies logic to me that we aren’t letting teams play this thing out. Look at the baseball playoff system. Especially when they get into Omaha. You can lose, yet still win. But you’re going to have to play your way back into it. Point is, they’re letting the play on the field in the playoffs determine the winner. Same with basketball.

8 is the sweet spot imo.

Last edited:

Pharm Frog

Of course these G5 programs could have done better scheduling OOC. All they needed to do was to wait for TCU v whoever to go from being a home-and-home to a one-and-done in Arlington and they could have picked up the Frogs or their opponent the next year. Easy peezy.

Chongo94

I used to be that way, but finally got to the point where I realized that there is no argument cogent enough for some people to change their minds. Wex is one of them. #@Deep_Purple is another one who may be even worse. When Wex digs in you at least get the impression he believes it enough to make his counter-argument without reference materials. #@Deep_Purple will go radio silent for 14 hours in the midst of a heated debate and then respond with 17,000 words at 2:30am after what was certainly many hours of Googling. Hell, I wouldn't put it past that guy to be studying microfiche in the public library for his responses here.

The point is, I stopped caring what they said once I realized it wasn't about having a sensible debate for them and it was all about beating our heads with the same boat over and over again until we collectively gave up. I'll still enjoy arguing with most here, but that Bill Murray quote pretty well encapsulates my thoughts on debating with those two and a handful of others. For me, they're just not worth the time it takes to realize that fart wasn't dry. Finding myself in a debate with them comes with the same level of shame too.

latest