• The KillerFrogs

2023-2024 European Football Thread

Purp

Beginning to think Juventus’ destiny is to never win the champions league again ha.

Even SuperEgo may not be enough to help them.
I really don't expect a club from Italy or France to ever win Champions League. Every year I think it's going to be a German or Spanish club with an outside chance for an English club.

hiphopfroggy

I really don't expect a club from Italy or France to ever win Champions League. Every year I think it's going to be a German or Spanish club with an outside chance for an English club.

The Italians are tied for 2nd most titles by country, with England. Last year if VAR had been in place as it is this year, the final would have been Juventus v Roma.

Purp

The Italians are tied for 2nd most titles by country, with England. Last year if VAR had been in place as it is this year, the final would have been Juventus v Roma.
I know, but recent history has an extremely heavy lean toward La Liga and then Bundesliga after that (really Bayern). EPL has only 1 title in the last decade and only a handful of participants in the final in that period of time. Then there's an occasional appearance from another European league like Serie A or Eredivisie in the final. I don't really give credit to the EPL for Nottingham Forest securing Champion's League titles when I consider who might be favorites to win it this year. That's very much a "what have you done for me lately" type of evaluation.

It's also a perception/expectation based on depth of each league. That perception may also be be enhanced by the fact that I so seldom get to watch any matches from Serie A and Ligue 1. That said, so few of the top transfers every year are going into those leagues compared to the ones going out to Spain, England, and Germany. I also realize the depth in La Liga isn't exactly incredible, but Barca and Real are so great they have a great shot at the title every year. La Liga is very much like the SEC regarding the top tier of the league relative to the rest. Bundesliga is too, honestly. I probably should have said, "Every year I expect the winner to either be Bayern, Real, or Barca with an outside shot for an English Big 4/5."

Side note: I'd really love for Nottingham Forest to return to glory. I studied up on and started to follow them casually about 12 years ago when a British coworker told me that was his real team and why. His preferred Premiership side at the time was Everton, but he wasn't very passionate of a supporter. Had Forest returned to the top flight, however, he'd have looked like the most immature clown conceivable on match days.

hiphopfroggy

Calciopoli had Serie A down for a while, but its finally coming back up. Still curious about the details of the ESPN + contract, but having every game available in HD in the states has been great and must be increasing exposure in the US immensely. $$$$. With Elliot taking over Milan, serie a is 6 deep again and the Jan spending $'s are way up.

http://www.espn.com/soccer/italian-...9-percent-in-january-premier-league-down-fifa

"Spending by Italian clubs in the January transfer window soared 459 percent compared to the same period last year, but English clubs remain the most prolific when it comes to splashing the cash despite a drop-off in spending during the recent winter window.

According to a report published by FIFA on Thursday, Italian clubs spent $144.6 million on international transfer fees during January compared to only $25.9 million last year, with only $39.3 million being collected in receipts.

AC Milan led the way with striker Krzysztof Piatek arriving from Genoa in a deal reported by Italian media to be worth €35 million ($39.50 m) and Brazilian Lucas Paqueta signing from Flamengo for a similar fee.

English clubs spent $178.2 million on 155 incoming transfers -- a decrease of 65 percent on last January.

Germany's clubs were the third-highest spenders ($112.5 million) with 97 percent of that total being spent on players aged 21 or under. Spanish clubs spent $112 million with France, the last of the so-called "Big Five" totalling $95.4 million.

Last edited:

Chongo94

Frankfurt vs Hoffenheim this morning was great! Y’all are missing out if you’re not watching more of the Bundesliga. Far and away better than the premier league in my opinion.

Sadly, looks like Bayern are about to draw level with Dortmund and probably surpass them down the stretch. I don’t have any ill will towards Bayern, and honestly find them an amazing and worthy club but sure wish some teams would challenge them better (and that applies to many leagues these days, not just the Bundesliga.)

Last edited:

Chongo94

Ajax knock Real Madrid out of the champions league and I am totally here for it! What a game. Y’all missed a good one if you didn’t see it.

Love that Ajax may be getting back to sitting at the table of great teams.

dawg

Remember that one time Sergio Ramos picked up a deliberate yellow during a first leg R16 tie, specifically so he wouldn’t carry any cards into the quarters? But then Madrid got a hiding at the Bernabéu in the 2nd leg and didn’t advance?

I do.

Last edited:

dawg

The Arsenal 4-2 Spurs. What a match today. My “Hope Meter” is starting to peg. I initially didn’t like the Emery appointment, but the improvement has been dramatic. That’s a match in which we’d have folded and lost the past few years, especially after Spurs took the lead. Now 19-straight unbeaten, Auba’s scored with his last ten shots on goal in the league, and there seems to be some tactics in the dugout to go with an increasing spine on the pitch. Are we winning the league? No, but we’re impoving for the first time in years. Oh, and Ramsey? His reaction to Dier celebrating infront in front of the bench spoke volumes, as did his contributions in the 2nd half. I think we’d be fools to let him go.

This post certainly hasn't aged well. And maybe, just maybe, we need a defender or three. Not another scheissing midfielder. Being a Gooner these days...

tenor.gif

7OM5.gif

Oh, and #KroenkeOut. scheiss that [ mother farger ].

Last edited: