• The KillerFrogs

2023-2024 European Football Thread

Chongo94

Very, very unexpected performance from Arsenal, given how their poor recent form. I was prepared for 1-3, but that was a solid performance. I’ll take it. You are dead-on about this victory papering over cracks. The recent departure of the director of recruitment and Emery’s admission that we can only sign loan players during the window are bad signs long-term. Most of our key players are the wrong side of 29. Kroenke’s going to have to spend to get the squad back to top four calibre (as FSG did with Liverpool), and I doubt he will. I think our only realistic shot at CL next season is Emery working his Europa League magic, especially with post-Jose United (and Pogba especially) revitalized.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...y-emery-finance-stan-kroenke-champions-league

That’s what I saw as well, and I think allowing Ramsey to leave is a huge mistake. He fits Emery’s tactics and workrate far better than Ozïl, imho.

I think, and one could argue this is knee-jerk, but given what we’ve seen and your points about our key players and ages, I think we’re witnessing the end of Arsenal be competitive for a long time. They’ll compete from 4-6 for maybe 2-3 more years and then it will be a steady fight between 6-12.....unless, and it’s a HUGE UNLESS, Kroenke opens up his own checkbook or sells.

Neither of those will happen so I think Arsenal will essentially become Liverpool from 1990-2017.

dawg

I think, and one could argue this is knee-jerk, but given what we’ve seen and your points about our key players and ages, I think we’re witnessing the end of Arsenal be competitive for a long time. They’ll compete from 4-6 for maybe 2-3 more years and then it will be a steady fight between 6-12.....unless, and it’s a HUGE UNLESS, Kroenke opens up his own checkbook or sells.

Neither of those will happen so I think Arsenal will essentially become Liverpool from 1990-2017.

Liverpool 1990-2017 (Champions League title, two CL Finals, regular CL football, UEFA Cup, Europa League Final, and a few FA and League Cups) would be optimistic. We may be looking at 1990-2014 Spurs (one League Cup, a decade of mid-table finishes, and semi-regular Europa League football).., [shudders]

Read that Arsenal’s average outlay per season under Kroenke is around £35 million; so that’s half of Van Dijk, and not even a Kyle Walker. Sadly, you’re right: it’s going to take a decade of mid-table finishes to pry open Kroenke’s wallet.

dawg

giphy.gif.cf.gif

Huge loss for a backline already struggling with injuries. Dude was playing well recently, too.

Purp

Was beyond epic in the WC loss to Belgium. As good as I’ve ever seen.
He had a few performances like that. Seems like Spain in the Confed Cup in South Africa was another monster performance. Or maybe it was Brazil in that tournament. Perhaps both. I just remember coming away from that tournament thinking we may have the best GK in the world after what I'd just seen. There were others too. Was he the GK against Italy in the 2006 WC? That was an unreal performance too. That may have been Keller, though.

Moose Stuff

He had a few performances like that. Seems like Spain in the Confed Cup in South Africa was another monster performance. Or maybe it was Brazil in that tournament. Perhaps both. I just remember coming away from that tournament thinking we may have the best GK in the world after what I'd just seen. There were others too. Was he the GK against Italy in the 2006 WC? That was an unreal performance too. That may have been Keller, though.

Don’t think he was the GK in 2006.

Chongo94

Howard and Keller in ‘06. Feel like it was more Keller as that was just before or right around Howard’s Everton move but it’s been so long I can’t remember.

dawg

Howard and Keller in ‘06. Feel like it was more Keller as that was just before or right around Howard’s Everton move but it’s been so long I can’t remember.

You’re right on both counts: Keller was the GK for all three 2006 World Cup matches. Howard was still at ManU for the 2005-6 season, but Van Der Sar was 1st choice. He was loaned out to Everton for the 2006-7 season, and the Everton made the move permanent that spring.

Was beyond epic in the WC loss to Belgium. As good as I’ve ever seen.

A legendary performance. He singlehandedly kept us in that match. Had Wando just converted that sitter...ugh.

BrleIZyIMAAI28m.jpg

Purp

Don’t think he was the GK in 2006.
I think you're right. I was in K-town when the U.S. played Italy in Germany and we went to Ramstein AFB the morning of the game. The team was staying there and we bumped into Brian McBride, Casey Keller, Bobby Convey, Bruce Arena, and some other assistants walking to our car from the BX. I remember telling my sister who they were and which one was our goalie. She got Convey to autograph her jersey and I got a photo with Brian McBride with me holding my nephew. That photo was my profile pic on FB for probably 8 years. That was the night his face got blown up.

Chongo94

I think you're right. I was in K-town when the U.S. played Italy in Germany and we went to Ramstein AFB the morning of the game. The team was staying there and we bumped into Brian McBride, Casey Keller, Bobby Convey, Bruce Arena, and some other assistants walking to our car from the BX. I remember telling my sister who they were and which one was our goalie. She got Convey to autograph her jersey and I got a photo with Brian McBride with me holding my nephew. That photo was my profile pic on FB for probably 8 years. That was the night his face got blown up.

That’s so cool. That was a horrible World Cup but that team had a bunch of players I liked. It was some players I had basically grown up with on their last legs and some new hopefuls (that really didn’t pan out sadly.)

Chongo94

You’re right on both counts: Keller was the GK for all three 2006 World Cup matches. Howard was still at ManU for the 2005-6 season, but Van Der Sar was 1st choice. He was loaned out to Everton for the 2006-7 season, and the Everton made the move permanent that spring.

A legendary performance. He singlehandedly kept us in that match. Had Wando just converted that sitter...ugh.

BrleIZyIMAAI28m.jpg

Awesome pictures.

Purp

That’s so cool. That was a horrible World Cup but that team had a bunch of players I liked. It was some players I had basically grown up with on their last legs and some new hopefuls (that really didn’t pan out sadly.)
Yeah. I had high hopes for Convey. He was a major part of Reading getting promoted to Premiership along with Hanneman. Also had high hopes for Corey Gibbs at left back, but injury before that WC basically ended his career. EJ was another one I expected more from. Had some solid dudes on that roster, though, with Dolo, Boca, Beas, and obviously Landon and Deuce.

Purp

Here's that pic I took with McBride. 2006 cell phone cameras not so good for photo quality.

FB_IMG_1548304801287.jpg