• The KillerFrogs

2017 Coaching Carousel

TX_Krötenechse

Why is Willie Taggart so sought after? Oregon then FSU?

What has he done?

Nothing against him but I looked at his coaching history and had a bit of success at South Florida. 1 double digit win record in his coaching career. 10-2 at South Florida.
Recruiting ties to Florida, success at a P5, shown that he can handle difficult coaching environments

There’s been some buzz about how he is leaving Oregon ... at least one recruit is tweeting that Taggert lied to his face about leaving just this week.

westoverhillbilly

If Sumlin is indeed headed to SMU, why would they have to pay him big bucks?
Like I said before I think Chad Morris is close to taking the Arkansas HC job. I hear Kevin Sumlin is SMU's #1 candidate to replace and they are willing to pay the big $.

Not to argue, buy why would SMU need to pay the big $ for Sumlin? He's out of work and lucky to be getting any interest in anything but an assistant's job.. I bet they could pick him up as a head coach for a P5 coordinator's salary or less..

The last time SMU shelled out big $ (for June Jones), they paid more than they could afford and had to wait until his contract ran out before removing him.. SMU doesn't have the huge number of big donors who buy coaches out of contracts..

WhiteHispanicFrog

Curmudgeon
Try your VP Mr. Joseph Biden 10years ago

tumblr_n06b3lvXPL1qdpflyo1_250.gif

If Sumlin is indeed headed to SMU, why would they have to pay him big bucks?

Not to argue, buy why would SMU need to pay the big $ for Sumlin? He's out of work and lucky to be getting any interest in anything but an assistant's job.. I bet they could pick him up as a head coach for a P5 coordinator's salary or less..

The last time SMU shelled out big $ (for June Jones), they paid more than they could afford and had to wait until his contract ran out before removing him.. SMU doesn't have the huge number of big donors who buy coaches out of contracts..

I think you’re undervaluing Sumlin. Right now, Sumlin can be picky at going after a job as A&M owes him 10 million by January. He is up for the Oregon head coach job as well. He probably could get any G5 job he wanted. And if any job opened up for a head coach position at Baylor or TTU or even TCU he most definitely would be on a short list for those head coach gigs. If he could do what he did for Houston at SMU don't you think that would be worth every penny? He might be the top recruiter in Texas, which by itself is huge value. If I'm SMU administration he is the #1 target.

But these are just rumors anyways, which mean zilch. But I heard the Arkansas job possibility way before anyone thought it would happen and hearing from the same sources they are going to try for Sumlin.

SMU will have good choices for the HC job and the level of success, experience, money to get them will be different for each candidate. One thing is for sure they will probably have to promise whomever the coach is that SMU will gain the funds and build an IPF.

ShreveFrog

I don't see Sumlin stepping down to SMU. Even if he did, he'd be gone in two years.

SMU needs to find their Coach P. Someone who'll stay and build and build.

Moose Stuff

I think your undervaluing Sumlin. Right now, Sumlin can be picky at going after a job as A&M owes him 10 million by January. He is up for the Oregon head coach job as well. He probably could get any G5 job he wanted. And if any job opened up for a head coach position at Baylor or TTU or even TCU he most definitely would be on a short list for those head coach gigs. If he could do what he did for Houston at SMU don't you think that would be worth every penny? He might be the top recruiter in Texas, which by itself is huge value. If I'm SMU administration he is the #1 target.

But these are just rumors anyways, which mean zilch. But I heard the Arkansas job possibility way before anyone thought it would happen and hearing from the same sources they are going to try for Sumlin.

SMU will have good choices for the HC job and the level of success, experience, money to get them will be different for each candidate. One thing is for sure they will probably have to promise whomever the coach is that SMU will gain the funds and build an IPF.

I don’t think Sumlin is the type of coach that’s gonna build you a national title type contender year in and year out, but he’s a really solid hire for just about anybody that isn’t Alabama, Clemson, OSU, etc.... He’s won everywhere he’s been. If you told me GP quit tomorrow and we hired Sumlin I’d be OK with that.

Moose Stuff

That's the gamble. Personally I hope it doesn't work and whomever Saban Replaces him with doesn't work out either. #darnthesec

The beauty of the SEC and all of the programs that believe they are some dominant force is that no matter how good they all are it’s impossible for more than a few them to win 10 games every year. The rest of them are constantly gonna be winning 5-8 games and firing their coach every 4 years.

TX_Krötenechse

I don’t think Sumlin is the type of coach that’s gonna build you a national title type contender year in and year out, but he’s a really solid hire for just about anybody that isn’t Alabama, Clemson, OSU, etc.... He’s won everywhere he’s been. If you told me GP quit tomorrow and we hired Sumlin I’d be OK with that.
I agree. Sumlin’s biggest fault as a coach at A&M was that he isn’t Saban.