• The KillerFrogs

FWST: TCU basketball is still better off than Pitt, but Jamie Dixon must find this piece

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
TCU basketball is still better off than Pitt, but Jamie Dixon must find this piece

By Big Steaming Pile

USATSI_22842399.jpg

Jamie Dixon’s tenure at TCU is shaping up like his time at Pittsburgh.

Twenty win seasons. Decent conference record. National relevance. Nice regular season wins. Produced some NBA players.

If Dixon left TCU today he can confidently say he left the program in much better shape than when he arrived. He took over the worst job in major college basketball and the team is now consistently competitive.

Read more at: https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/ncaa/article287025425.html#storylink=cpy

Also at https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ot...-jamie-dixon-must-find-this-piece/ar-BB1koeoK

Last edited:

HToady

How many times this year have we blown big leads or run out of gas in the second half? Our up tempo isn’t working with the athletes we have

Frawg

Decent conference record? 60-81 is decent? My word.

Can’t understand why this board keeps comparing him/us to Pitt. He’s been here 8 years. It’s his program, his fingerprints are all over it and we’re an average program at best. Everyone should want better.

Last night was embarrassing.
And looking at a complete roster turnover next year. Seemingly unable to recruit, Develop and maintain abundant HS talent has led to over reliance on transfers. Next year is scary looking. Watching Ledee and Lampkin excelling in the tournament is beyond frustrating.

froginmn

Can’t understand why this board keeps comparing him/us to Pitt. He’s been here 8 years. It’s his program, his fingerprints are all over it and we’re an average program at best. Everyone should want better.

It was fun to watch Tech lose by double digits to an 11 seed team that shouldn't have even been in the tournament.

What did you think of that one?

Chongo94

You mean want better like the 20-30 year wilderness the program was in before his arrival? Yeah, I’m sure everyone wants that…
Come On Please GIF by NBA

bp4tcu

It was fun to watch Tech lose by double digits to an 11 seed team that shouldn't have even been in the tournament.

What did you think of that one?
Other than hearing my wife [ hundin] about it, I didn’t really give a [ Finebaum ]. What does that have to do with us?

Chongo94

We won 8 Big 12 games in the four seasons before he arrived and have AVERAGED that many since he's been here.

Obviously we all want better but people seem to forget how far we've come.
Agreed. The other side of the coin for me, aside from people forgetting how far we’ve come, is just how realistic some are being with us as a basketball destination and/or who we could attract to the position if JD leaves or is forced to leave.

No doubt he’s raised the profile but I’m still not sure we could attract a large number of good coaches. Plus, I'm not really sure how many good coaches would be out there.

An-Cap Frog

And looking at a complete roster turnover next year. Seemingly unable to recruit, Develop and maintain abundant HS talent has led to over reliance on transfers. Next year is scary looking. Watching Ledee and Lampkin excelling in the tournament is beyond frustrating.
The new reality in college basketball is that unless you are a blue blood and can recruit 5-star players that are destined for the NBA you are left trying to mine the transfer portal to find players with 1 or 2 years of eligibility left to make a tournament run.

Dogfrog

How many times this year have we blown big leads or run out of gas in the second half? Our up tempo isn’t working with the athletes we have
Not sure where we would have been without our uptempo? Our half court offense is not good. We have led the nation in fast break points for most of the last two seasons. That starts with defense. And our half court defense has been extremely weak this season. Dunk after dunk after layup. It’s like we are selling out on the perimeter including our big men and leaving the opponents centers defended by our guards. There is something amiss in our switching, etc that has killed us the second half of the season.

That equates to about a 7.5-10 average record over that period which is actually is "decent" in the deep big 12. While we'd hope for more, it's certainly not "bad". We know what bad looks like, lol.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
I’ll ride or die with JD. Try being a fan 20 years and never sniffing the NCAA tournament. This season was fun and most will be a roller coaster in the big 12.
Try half a century with a tourney here, a tourney there, decade or three apart. A few NIT appearances. Then think about what we had between Tubbs and Dixon. Holy smokes. I like Dixon and how he raised the program from the depths, but it is time to raise it higher. We used to accept sucking, accept mediocrity as an improvement, in most sports. I don't want to be that again.

Compared to what we were, it’s amazing. We sucked. Now we don’t. But go ahead and keep complaining troll.

I’ll ride or die with JD. Try being a fan 20 years and never sniffing the NCAA tournament. This season was fun and most will be a roller coaster in the big 12.
Glad you're a fan 20 years as are probably most on this board. 20 years this program didn't have the $$ invested that they have now. We all probably appreciate what CJD has accomplished. But if your satisfied with a roller coaster?
Not me friend.
Go Frogs!

Latest posts