• The KillerFrogs

ACC officially votes to add Cal, Stanford, SMU

The looming question remains how long will the ACC be content to

exist with this 'stopgap' configuration, before disposing of these recent

makeshift additions?

Last edited:

Sangria Wine

On a lesser scale, the Big 12 adding BYU, Cincy, Houston, and UCF was the same, a move by a desperate league. Just a couple years prior, the Big 12 wasn't interested in adding any of those teams. What changed? A couple teams bailed, and they got desperate, that's what changed.
Exactly right. We wouldn’t have taken all of those schools if we had been able to predict the opportunity to pick up PAC12 teams instead. BYU would have probably been the only definite pick up. Maybe Cindy just to give a more regional team to mate with West Virginia…maybe. I’d rather have Stanford than any of those 4, but I’m more interested in baseball than anything else.

Limey Frog

Exactly right. We wouldn’t have taken all of those schools if we had been able to predict the opportunity to pick up PAC12 teams instead. BYU would have probably been the only definite pick up. Maybe Cindy just to give a more regional team to mate with West Virginia…maybe. I’d rather have Stanford than any of those 4, but I’m more interested in baseball than anything else.
There would have been no opportunity to add Pac schools had we not added the other four first. The Pac collapsed because Yormark took the last big TV deal out of the market. An eight member Big 12 wouldn't have got that deal; two or four of its members would have been picked off by the Pac. Maybe Kansas, probably not TCU. We should all be thanking BYU and Cincinnati for saving our program from a return to conference oblivion.

froginaustin

The looming question remains how long will the ACC be content to

exist with this 'stopgap' configuration, before disposing of these recent

makeshift additions?

Disposing?

With the lone exception (that I can think of) of the old, dying, football Big East kicking out Temple, has any conference ever abandoned a member?

Maybe the breakup of the SWC? -- answering my own question? But that was "desirable" programs leaving; not "desirable" kicking out undesirable programs with the "desirable" motoring on in the old conference.

I suspect as long as there is a conference named Atlantic Coast Conference, Calford and SMUg will be in it. Where the Carolina schools, all 5 of them, and the Florida schools end up, I hesitate to guess.
We better be planning to bring the rivalry back

Why?

The bloom will be off the ACC-West quicker than a rose in a Texas heatwave. If there's ever a bloom at all.

Disposing?

With the lone exception (that I can think of) of the old, dying, football Big East kicking out Temple, has any conference ever abandoned a member?

Maybe the breakup of the SWC? -- answering my own question? But that was "desirable" programs leaving; not "desirable" kicking out undesirable programs with the "desirable" motoring on in the old conference.

I suspect as long as there is a conference named Atlantic Coast Conference, Calford and SMUg will be in it. Where the Carolina schools, all 5 of them, and the Florida schools end up, I hesitate to guess.

Why?

The bloom will be off the ACC-West quicker than a rose in a Texas heatwave. If there's ever a bloom at all.
The original members of the MWC abandoned half of the 16 team WAC and formed a new conference. I would not be surprised if some members of the ACC did that just to keep Florida State and Clemson with the top 6 left. SMU will not be invited to be a part of a breakaway group.

Limey Frog

The original members of the MWC abandoned half of the 16 team WAC and formed a new conference. I would not be surprised if some members of the ACC did that just to keep Florida State and Clemson with the top 6 left. SMU will not be invited to be a part of a breakaway group.
The ACC's big problem is that the thing that made conferences originally make sense--geographic proximity and coherence--is no longer what makes them profitable. It's all about TV now, which calls for name brand matchups between good teams, and/or geographic spread across multiple time zones. A splinter conference of eight ACC members wouldn't fix that, it would only make the pie slices a little bigger for each member by cutting out the dead weight. They could join with half of the Big 12 members, perhaps, but at that point you'd be cutting the pie 16 ways again and switching BC and Syracuse for Colorado and TCU isn't going to get you into the realm of Big Ten money. If you're going to the trouble of killing the conference it's only worth it if you join the SEC or Big Ten.

I think most likely the biggest brands will just jump and go to law to stall on the financial penalties, gambling that in the wreckage the remaining members will fight each other for the last four-ish life raft spots in the Big 12 and dissolve the conference.

But these questions are less important than what the overarching governance structure of college football is going to be, anyway. SMU is probably screwed no matter what, but the Big 12 might be too at this rate.