• The KillerFrogs

FWST: The reason(s) behind college football’s biggest collapse of 2023: TCU’s one-year fall

Palliative Care

While the article could have been much more harsh, what happen here is not all that unusual in that year to year many teams step up and many teams decline. Was the fall too sever and thus making it more notable. Yes, probably so. However, this also can be viewed from the standpoint that 2022 was a remarkable year for us to peak at just the right time with the new staff and experienced talent coming together at just the right point. This blend covered up a few deeper flaws like under class lack of depth and experience, a coordinator who was unable to take his scheme to a higher level and lack of leadership to bring the team together as mentioned in the article.

So we have a new defensive coordinator (he is more experienced but how long will it take to produce a much better showing?).

And do we have the talent, experience and leadership required to produce a significantly higher numbers of wins this next season? I don't know yet and I do not know if anyone else really does either. Spring ball this year will be interesting for sure.

Toad Jones

When time allows, I listen to College Football Today. All of the host are past college all-stars, NFL, and ex-coaches. The day I listened, one said, listen that TCU team was loaded, really loaded. Just look at the NFL rosters and you'll see TCU, TCU, everywhere. That pretty much sums it up.

Of course, I wonder if we ever see another team like them. Finding another Max is a tall order, but I like the QB potential as it stands now. Seals intrigues me, I watched his tape and the guy can throw accurately and commands the field. I like the fact that he came from Vanderbilt as well, a school similar to TCU. If we can find a hammer with speed and can catch the ball out of the backfield makes me anxious. And of course, someone has the talent to catch and the ball and get open time after time. The offensive line should be improved with experience. So the elephant in the room is the defense and it is a big one! I like our new DC, he brings a load of experience and that's a great start to build on! Overall, early, I am excited. Spring ball will open the door. For sure, Sonny wants to prove he can put together a winning combination that last year after year. If he does that, he'll be here several years!

HG73

Please remember Max was a very average QB his first three years. Then ONE YEAR under a competent HC/OC and he takes the team to the national championship game and finished second in the Heisman. Anyone think this happens if GP is still coach?

HG73

@HG73 - Maybe Riley as OC, along with SD, was also a big upgrade that helped Max click. But also Max's own growth. QB's just has to mature and develop. He was thrown into the fire as a freshman.
Don't get me wrong, Max deserves to be right there with Sam, Davey, Bob, LT and Andy. But he was extremely mediocre his first three years. I don't think it's coincidence that he broke out with the new staff.

NewFrogFan

Don't get me wrong, Max deserves to be right there with Sam, Davey, Bob, LT and Andy. But he was extremely mediocre his first three years. I don't think it's coincidence that he broke out with the new staff.
No one saw his 2022 season coming, not coaches, analysts, fans, other players, no one.

Dogfrog

I’ve always believed under Patterson quarterbacks were burdened with what not to do. The defensive mindset leads to throw interceptions and you won’t play. It always appeared to me he was consciously guiding the ball to spots that could not be intercepted. When the new staff came in they brought a positive, trust your athleticism and instincts, go for it attitude.

Frog-in-law1995

I’ve always believed under Patterson quarterbacks were burdened with what not to do. The defensive mindset leads to throw interceptions and you won’t play. It always appeared to me he was consciously guiding the ball to spots that could not be intercepted. When the new staff came in they brought a positive, trust your athleticism and instincts, go for it attitude.
His completion percentage actually declined in ‘22 though.

Dogfrog

His completion percentage actually declined in ‘22 though.
Down .2% from 2021. His % at TCU was 53.4% in 2019 - 2007 yds; 60.8% 2020 for 1795 yds: 63.9% in 2021 for 2048 yds; and 63.7 in 2022 for 3698 yds.

IMO it was his downfield passing along with good downfield scheme where his confidence improved. It is possible to rack up good % with swing passes to the flat. The downfield success opened up the offense.