• The KillerFrogs

Texas Tech Radio crew suspended

Mean Purple

A. How in the hell does the conference have the authority to force a Tech owned radio program?
B. scheiss Bowlsby. He is a CYA, [ Finebaum ] grin wearin', [ the old ricardo ] sucker.

bp4tcu

No pity for Tech. They have the whiniest, most excuse-making fan base in the country. Their complaints ring hollow because they ALWAYS [ hundin] about the refs. Not to mention their ever-trashy students had to be removed from 2 sections for throwing bottles at the Iowa state bench.

This game had some bad calls. Commenting on those wasn’t what got their radio guys suspended. Reading the officials’ names off like a hit list and the “concussion” comment took all the moaning and bitching to an unprofessional / unacceptable level. This strongly worded letter and one-game suspension amounts to a slap on the wrist and a non-news story.
They were throwing bottles at the refs after another BS call. Wish we had fans as passionate as theirs. Ours leave the second it gets above 75 dregrees in the Sun.

TechAdvisor

They were throwing bottles at the refs after another BS call.
It was actually one water bottle that was thrown, on the field, 30 yards away from any ISU player or staff. Out of 15,000+ students, one water bottle was thrown. That seems fairly tame considering there were 8 reviews in the game and every single one of them went in favor of the road team.

Wish we had fans as passionate as theirs. Ours leave the second it gets above 75 dregrees in the Sun.
Throwing a whiskey bottle at ISU coaches seems fairly passionate.

HornFrogger

Probably the only reason for the discipline is the call out of Bob Bowlsby by name. He is easily the worst commissioner out there. I hope that with the exit of his darlings UT and OU we can send him packing as well
That would be great. Unfortunately, he’s going to claim he handled the new additions as leadership and reason to stay, instead of recognizing his failures over the years led to the emergency in the first place.

I honestly have no idea why he has kept his job. Can anyone here make the case?

gofor2

The calls in that game were bad, even by B12 standards.

What I have seen over the years make me feel that the B12 is telling the refs who to favor. I think they make these calls based on quite a few variables and scenarios but almost all point toward the same goals- get the Big 12 to the invitationals, propel teams to the most lucrative bowls, produce the best TV ratings / matchups.

Froginbedford

What I have seen over the years make me feel that the B12 is telling the refs who to favor. I think they make these calls based on quite a few variables and scenarios but almost all point toward the same goals- get the Big 12 to the invitationals, propel teams to the most lucrative bowls, produce the best TV ratings / matchups.
I think they make these calls based on quite a few variables and scenarios but almost all point toward the same goals- get the Big 12 to the invitationals

+ 4.....

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?

They absolutely put their thumbs on the scales. It's not always so blatant, and they do try to cover themselves, but it is interesting how a flag seems to come, or not, out at the most opportune times...

Pharm Frog

I don’t disagree with any of this but your radio broadcasters cannot be held to the same low standard of the fans and their inclinations and suspicions. If they wanted to do an interview after the game and share their beliefs then so be it but what these guys did was an embarrassment and unworthy of their professional craft and that’s a very low bar anyway for Tech.

Bad call — yes
Atrocious call — yes
Questionable call that went against us — yes

“If they overturn this call it’s proof that the Big 12 wants Texas Tech to lose.” — no.

Why? Because it’s not. That’s your feeling. That’s your emotion. And that’s not the role of a broadcaster. That’s not descriptive of the situation for listeners. That stuff crosses a line and a very clear line IMO.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
“If they overturn this call it’s proof that the Big 12 wants Texas Tech to lose.” — no.

Why? Because it’s not. That’s your feeling. That’s your emotion. And that’s not the role of a broadcaster. That’s not descriptive of the situation for listeners. That stuff crosses a line and a very clear line IMO.
The irony is, they won in the end.

There have been several games with questionable officiating this season in the BIGXII. Iowa State got some good loving earlier, and our game v. UT had some doozies. I don't like games where the officials are the key variable, and I don't imagine many others do either. But, where there are zillions of dollars at stake, integrity tends to take a back seat.

You are, of course, correct about crossing a line. To expound on what a ghastly and blatantly wrong call it was is certainly allowable. The play in question was fairly obvious, and the ruling thus inexplicable, but that has happened a lot with replay of late. Again, ironic, considering that the whole intent of replay was to "get it right." Dumb [ "illegitimate Baylor boys" ] can't even do that...

Prince of Purpoole II

Reigning Smartarse
I don’t disagree with any of this but your radio broadcasters cannot be held to the same low standard of the fans and their inclinations and suspicions. If they wanted to do an interview after the game and share their beliefs then so be it but what these guys did was an embarrassment and unworthy of their professional craft and that’s a very low bar anyway for Tech.

Bad call — yes
Atrocious call — yes
Questionable call that went against us — yes

Yep

Pharm Frog

The irony is, they won in the end.

There have been several games with questionable officiating this season in the BIGXII. Iowa State got some good loving earlier, and our game v. UT had some doozies. I don't like games where the officials are the key variable, and I don't imagine many others do either. But, where there are zillions of dollars at stake, integrity tends to take a back seat.

You are, of course, correct about crossing a line. To expound on what a ghastly and blatantly wrong call it was is certainly allowable. The play in question was fairly obvious, and the ruling thus inexplicable, but that has happened a lot with replay of late. Again, ironic, considering that the whole intent of replay was to "get it right." Dumb [ "illegitimate Baylor boys" ] can't even do that...
Oh they even said at one point that “Tech better win this game or the officials would not be able to sleep.” Now that could be interpreted as lack of sleep due to guilty conscience or there’s another more malevolent interpretation.

gofor2

That’s your feeling. That’s your emotion. And that’s not the role of a broadcaster.

I agree with this. Their role isn't to be biased and to call games based on that or their emotion. its to deliver in a descriptive way, the events of the game for the viewers / listeners. I agree with their sentiment, but it was unprofessional for them to do what they did and they definitely crossed the line.

Frozen Frog

The broadcast crew of a game are school officials. They are representatives paid to do a specific job. They accused the officials of cheating which is usually cause for ejection from a game. Ejections can come with suspensions. If a sideline reporter accuses an official cheating they are likely to get boot along with a possible penalty for their team. That probably leads to a suspension. While the officials don't hear the radio broadcast those guys in their roles must be subjected to the same penalties.

Relic

Q: If the refs are in fact tipping the scales - cheating - how would you know, and what could you do...IF they are being directed by the higher-ups, who would be the very ones to review their performance if a complaint was filed?

Rabidfrog

Does anyone remember the first time we played OU at ACS in the Big 12, maybe 2012, and they didn't give us a high field goal? I saw the refs shading their eyes with one arm and knew the sun was in their faces, but the tv guys thought we got robbed. Also, on one play an OU player was on top of one of our guys hitting the TCU player with his fist and all they got was a 15 yd. penalty. Dangest thing I ever saw.

Outback Frog

Does anyone remember the first time we played OU at ACS in the Big 12, maybe 2012, and they didn't give us a high field goal? I saw the refs shading their eyes with one arm and knew the sun was in their faces, but the tv guys thought we got robbed. Also, on one play an OU player was on top of one of our guys hitting the TCU player with his fist and all they got was a 15 yd. penalty. Dangest thing I ever saw.
Also won't forget a flag on a holding call after we scored late in the fourth qtr. that would have tied the game, which was very questionable. I remember my brother lost his mind on that one because the flag came out late. OU held on to win 24-17.