• The KillerFrogs

MSN: Big 12 Reportedly Considering Merger With Another Conference

WIN

Oh, but the SEC is a-courtin other Big Programs: https://www.outkick.com/clemson-ohio-state-michigan-and-florida-state-sec/

That pretty much skims the cream off the top of the Name Brands, now doesn't it. That leaves the Name Brand outfits on the West Coast, which evidently are not desirable to the SEC.

The PAC really hasn't got many options, other than expansion/merger. I don't like the 20-team Conference thing, as it is too bulky. The TV people would love it because it gives them Moar Playoffs! (NE v SW, SE v NW, Championship Game) Really, all this signifies is the final destruction of what used to be quaintly considered Tradition, and Regional Rivalries. It's all devolved to money. Only money...

With all the blue bloods teaming up someone has to lose on the field which means some of these programs will not be too happy.

HG73

We need to face facts. Kansas isn't going to the B1G, WV isn't going to the ACC, nobody is going anywhere. None of the P4 needs any one of us. This has helped the PAC most because they're now in the P4 without lifting a finger.
We need to add one more team to get to 9 for an eight game schedule. Form a network. These 9 schools will be a stable conference without any prima donnas and will get along great. Unless we invite BYU and that won't happen.
Or we can work a deal with the PAC. I just ran the numbers on attendance for the PAC and we 8 for 2018. Guess what? PAC averaged 47k per game and we 8 averaged 47k. And that's with Kansas drawing 19k. (Seriously Kansas needs to go, basketball or not). So any new TV deal will not be as bad as everyone thinks. PAC needs us as much as we need them. They need in the CTZ more than we need them.

Long Time Fan

Long Time Fan
There is a guy on Twitter, Greg Flugaur, that seems pretty connected to a source that has been pretty accurate on BIG 10 matters so far. I'm not vouching for him, but his predictions have been pretty accurate up to this point.

Flugaur has tweeted the BIG is exploring a significant add focused on the top PAC 12 blue bloods (USC and UCLA) and probably a couple of others. If this happens, I think a merger of the remaining PAC 12 and Big 12 schools is much more likely. I have no insider information, I just know this guy's source has been accurate so far even saying OU was looking and would not renew GOR with Big 12. He said this two years ago.Flugaur.png

Peacefrog

Degenerate
It could become even more like European soccer. There would be smaller leagues. More transfers and things like that. The school and what it has to offer becomes more valuable than the coach or sponsorships. Everything more localized. Find a couple streaming partners. I like your idea of shorter games. Provide better commentary and actually relevant sideline information.

It is what it is. The sport is being ruined in front of us.
Adapt or die.

LVH

That's what I am rooting for but I think it's inevitable. I'm just planning on not giving two [ #2020 ]s about college football in the very near future and finding something else to occupy my time.

I am rooting for total chaos and backfiring out of spite. I hope NIL fails miserably and these super conferences fail. Greed and egos have gotten too big in college football. Texas A&M fans brag more about the money they make than on field success. Teams being invited into these super leagues not based on merit or accomplishments but how many people graduate from their school.

The end game is a 24 to 32 team NFL minor league. The best way to handle that inevitable end game is to not participate and not play their game. Us joining the Pac 12 isn't going to matter because it's just a necessary stepping stone for contraction.

Accelerate the downfall. The quicker it all blows up in their faces the quicker we might get back to college football that makes sense.

LisaLT

USC and Oregon are already being courted to join the new mega conference so would not count on them being around for anything that looks like a PAC/B12 combo

only remaining question it seems in the overall equation is if the B10 grows to be the opposing conference for the SEC by picking up Clemson and a few other top tier players or if the SEC just absorbs those they want from ACC, B1G and PAC and create a elite conference above it all

if what I was told is correct and the contract for the top 24 teams would basically be the same as the one for 64 teams - why would those top teams want to divide the pie who with the rest of us?
I would think that this would or could be considered an antitrust violation in the world of college football. Good lawyers could make that case.

LisaLT

I think before this becomes a total cluster duck, lawyers and law makers will step in and put the kibosh on all of this aligning of only the top 24 programs or 32 - whatever the small number that get to join one super conference. Not. Gonna. Happen.

cheese83

At the end of the day most of these are state schools and the people have the power to shut this crap down. They did it recently with private football clubs in Europe and their attempt to consolidate all the wealth. Failed miserably with current and ex players plus govt officials crapping all over it.

Instead everyone is just sitting around saying oh well. ESPN has their fingers all over this.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
Also I would get with the City of Fort Worth and work to get that FCS championship game out of Frisco and into Amon Carter. Then I’d call Draft Kings or who ever and figure out what makes their customers tick that you could incorporate into the new brand of football. There is literally nothing to lose. All ideas need to be on the table.

LVH

There is a guy on Twitter, Greg Flugaur, that seems pretty connected to a source that has been pretty accurate on BIG 10 matters so far. I'm not vouching for him, but his predictions have been pretty accurate up to this point.

Flugaur has tweeted the BIG is exploring a significant add focused on the top PAC 12 blue bloods (USC and UCLA) and probably a couple of others. If this happens, I think a merger of the remaining PAC 12 and Big 12 schools is much more likely. I have no insider information, I just know this guy's source has been accurate so far even saying OU was looking and would not renew GOR with Big 12. He said this two years ago.View attachment 9260

It doesn't surprise me as this is what will happen, the writing is on the wall. But i see the top Big 10 schools breaking off from the league to join up with USC, UCLA, Washington, and Oregon. They don't want teams like Northwestern, Purdue, Rutgers, Illinois, Minnesota. The Big 10 won't have the stones to drop the deadweight so we will see the Ohio State and Michigan's break off.

The top teams from the Pac 12, Big 10, ACC and SEC will break off and start their own organization. Two conferences(Big 10 + Pac 12 and ACC + SEC) and their own playoff.

Southern Division: Alabama, Auburn, LSU, Tennessee, Kentucky, Ole Miss, Missouri, Kansas

Western Division: USC, UCLA, Oregon, Washington, Texas, Oklahoma, Texas A&M, Arkansas

Northern Division: Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, Wisconsin, Michigan State, Iowa, Nebraska, Indiana

Coastal Division: Georgia, Florida, Florida State, Clemson, UNC, Virginia, Miami, South Carolina

This is what will happen in some form

Froglaw

We need to face facts. Kansas isn't going to the B1G, WV isn't going to the ACC, nobody is going anywhere. None of the P4 needs any one of us. This has helped the PAC most because they're now in the P4 without lifting a finger.
We need to add one more team to get to 9 for an eight game schedule. Form a network. These 9 schools will be a stable conference without any prima donnas and will get along great. Unless we invite BYU and that won't happen.
Or we can work a deal with the PAC. I just ran the numbers on attendance for the PAC and we 8 for 2018. Guess what? PAC averaged 47k per game and we 8 averaged 47k. And that's with Kansas drawing 19k. (Seriously Kansas needs to go, basketball or not). So any new TV deal will not be as bad as everyone thinks. PAC needs us as much as we need them. They need in the CTZ more than we need them.

Kansas equals a breather game in football plus huge boost in basketball attendance once a year. Both nice positives.

Long Time Fan

Long Time Fan
It doesn't surprise me as this is what will happen, the writing is on the wall. But i see the top Big 10 schools breaking off from the league to join up with USC, UCLA, Washington, and Oregon. They don't want teams like Northwestern, Purdue, Rutgers, Illinois, Minnesota. The Big 10 won't have the stones to drop the deadweight so we will see the Ohio State and Michigan's break off.

The top teams from the Pac 12, Big 10, ACC and SEC will break off and start their own organization. Two conferences(Big 10 + Pac 12 and ACC + SEC) and their own playoff.

Southern Division: Alabama, Auburn, LSU, Tennessee, Kentucky, Ole Miss, Missouri, Kansas

Western Division: USC, UCLA, Oregon, Washington, Texas, Oklahoma, Texas A&M, Arkansas

Northern Division: Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, Wisconsin, Michigan State, Iowa, Nebraska, Indiana

Coastal Division: Georgia, Florida, Florida State, Clemson, UNC, Virginia, Miami, South Carolina

This is what will happen in some form

This is probably where this train is headed and if that is the case, I will refuse to watch this product. It will be the Minor Leagues for the NFL. In the beginning I'm sure it will be a huge success, but as time marches on, the qualities that make college football special will die. I think it is ridiculous that TV networks are directing conferences on who they can and cannot include based on ratings. It is killing the game.

In some regards the present system is a story of the haves and have nots and I'm not talking about schools. I'm talking about who can buy tickets, go to games, travel to see away games, etc. The costs to be a fan in today's world is getting higher and higher and if that "league" takes off, costs will only escalate and reduce who can be a fan. Just my opinion.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
They will find that all those "little schools" they regularly beat, and thus have disdain for, do indeed have value: They provide easy wins that keep the Big Programs viable. No one cares about a 5-6 tOSU, and they certainly won't care about 2-8 UT.

It's the tale of Hubris and Nemesis all over again. Unsurprising that this would be the case, as no teaches Western Civ anymore, but refreshing to see a familiar pattern repeating itself all the same...

crankuptheenolagay

The Big12 payout per team of 30+ million with OU/UT, gets cut by 2/3rds, minimum without them. There's no one out there the Big12 can add to make that up. I'm curious to see how the SEC handles the addition of OU/UT, will they try to force out underperforming schools to make the piece of pie larger for the Big Dogs?

Eight

They will find that all those "little schools" they regularly beat, and thus have disdain for, do indeed have value: They provide easy wins that keep the Big Programs viable. No one cares about a 5-6 tOSU, and they certainly won't care about 2-8 UT.

It's the tale of Hubris and Nemesis all over again. Unsurprising that this would be the case, as no teaches Western Civ anymore, but refreshing to see a familiar pattern repeating itself all the same...

you are talking about a fan base that still refuses to admit the lhn has been a failure, they got played by espn in the creation of the network, and it was their actions in creating the network that lead to nebraska, cu, mizzou, and atm leaving the big 12

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
The Big12 payout per team of 30+ million with OU/UT, gets cut by 2/3rds, minimum without them. There's no one out there the Big12 can add to make that up. I'm curious to see how the SEC handles the addition of OU/UT, will they try to force out underperforming schools to make the piece of pie larger for the Big Dogs?
The Contract runs for a few more years. UT and OU can buy their way out of it. Whatever happens, we are guaranteed a reasonable slice of cash for a few years. More than enough time to put together something else.