• The KillerFrogs

TCU Men's Tennis - 2020-2021

Longfrog

In the next round gets Alex Bolt (#149) who i've never heard of. He'd done nothing this year until two weeks ago when he won the Nottingham challenger. Then won his first round vs Krajinovic in straights.

jake102

In the next round gets Alex Bolt (#149) who i've never heard of. He'd done nothing this year until two weeks ago when he won the Nottingham challenger. Then won his first round vs Krajinovic in straights.

Bolt is a fine player, tough. But Norrie is certainly the favorite here.... the best site I know has him at a 80.1% favorite. He was a very slight underdog to Pouille.

Jared7

Norrie v. Bolt should be starting in less than an hour on Court 1 at Wimbledon. It's scheduled to be covered on ESPN. Elsewhere, Jirousek has advanced to the 2nd round of the main draw at Wroclaw (after winning 3 qualie rounds to get there), Lopez has advanced to the 2nd round at Weston, Chappell lost at Balko and Aguilar lost in his last qualie match at Weston. And, Sander Jong lost at the Hague in the first round and Ali Gray has yet to play his first round doubles match at Wimbledon. Cam is also in the doubles, teaming with Jaume Munar - they're scheduled to play the Tsitsipas brothers in the first round.

I also know nothing of Bolt. He's from Australia, he's a qualifier; he's ranked #149, with a CH of #125.

Last edited:

Jared7

Bad start. Cam down 0-2 (and a break) early. Federer will be playing Richard Gasquet, but Cam needs to play a lot better before he could possibly think of that.

The Camster breaks back! 2-3!

And another break! 4-3!

Woo hoo! Cam with his 3rd consecutive break and he takes the first set 6-3!! Six straight games after the sleepy start.

Last edited:

Jared7

Into the 2nd set and Cam remains on fire. 2-0; up a break and he's won 8 straight games.

4-0! 5 straight breaks! 10 straight games! Easy peasy lemon squeazy.

5-1. Bolt breaks the streak and and avoids the bagel.

Norrie takes the 2nd set 6-1. I'm off to work. Looking forward to getting home this afternoon and learning that Cam will be making his Centre Court debut against the Greatest of All Time on Saturday!

Last edited:

Jared7

Not sure what the line will be but I think Norrie has a decent chance of knocking off Federer.
Well, we're TCU fans and obviously a bit homerish, and to us, Norrie is just Cam, the same guy who was on campus from 2014-17, who we all sort of know. But he's won 31 matches this Spring and made 3 finals in the last 6 weeks and only Tsitsipas has won more this year and he's been playing Nadal (3 times), Tsitsipas, Berrittini, and a lot of other really top players. And Roger is coming off 2 knee surgeries and this is only his 6th tourney this season and he's coming off losses to Auger-Aliaseme at Halle in the 2nd round and a withdrawal from the french and a L to Pablo Andujar at Geneva in the 2nd round.

So, yeah, if there was ever a time to beat Federer, it's now. For Cam, this could be a historic changing of the guard kind of moment in his Centre Court debut before a home crowd in London. For Federer it's just another match. They've played only once before at Perth for the Hopman Cup 2 years ago and Federer won easily.

jake102

My site is only giving him a 13% shot.

So this is an interesting match. Norrie is the type of player Federer doesn’t like… lefty who hits a bunch of spin on serve and forehand. But this is Wimbledon on grass, Feds best surface and Norrie’s worst. Federer’s forehand is going to be an issue and he’s crafty enough to slice his backhand and take it early to redirect the ball to Norries backhand. If Norrie is going to win he must be able to redirect his backhand up the line and serve at a high percentage on first serve. The forehand will need to remain rock solid with the occasional power.

Ultimately Norrie will need to keep himself in the match and wear on Federer. I anticipate Federer slicing most serve returns and Norrie will need to play really solid points off the chips

Shouod be a good one unless Norrie lets the occasion get to him, which is a decent possibility

Jared7

My site is only giving him a 13% shot.

So this is an interesting match. Norrie is the type of player Federer doesn’t like… lefty who hits a bunch of spin on serve and forehand. But this is Wimbledon on grass, Feds best surface and Norrie’s worst. Federer’s forehand is going to be an issue and he’s crafty enough to slice his backhand and take it early to redirect the ball to Norries backhand. If Norrie is going to win he must be able to redirect his backhand up the line and serve at a high percentage on first serve. The forehand will need to remain rock solid with the occasional power.

Ultimately Norrie will need to keep himself in the match and wear on Federer. I anticipate Federer slicing most serve returns and Norrie will need to play really solid points off the chips

Shouod be a good one unless Norrie lets the occasion get to him, which is a decent possibility
The commentators on ESPN were talking about Federer and lefties in the Gasquet match and they pointed out that, despite the conventional wisdom, Roger is something like 35-1 against all lefties not named Nadal. That is, that he sometimes has difficulty but ultimately wins. And at his press conference, Federer seemed quite knowledgeable about Cam's game and how specifically Cam has improved this year with his flat two-handed backhand and his kick serve. So it would seem that Team Federer has been doing some scouting and that Cam isn't going to surprise him at all.

The U.K. press is already all over this match with articles from the Guardian, the Telegraph, the Times, the Evening Standard and more - calling it "much anticipated," noting Cam's consistency and steadiness this season. And speculating about who the crowd will root for - Wimbledon fans have loved Roger for years with his 8 titles (about as many Wimbledon matches has Cam has ever played). Murray's 5-set thriller the other night has really gotten the British tennis fans into this tourney and this is the next big event for them. The anticipation is really building for this one and your point about Cam letting the occasion overwhelm him is a real fear. Yesterday, I was feeling confident; today, I think Cam is going to get rolled. It's scheduled for early tomorrow morning.

Jared7

After winning 4 straight matches at Wroclaw, Jirousek finally lost in the 2nd round of the main draw. But it was a good tourney for Tomas. Norrie and Munar will play the Tsitsipas's in doubles in less than an hour at Wimbledon. Alastair Gray and Aidan McHugh are playing their first rounder right now and the Brits lead Jebavy/Vesely 7-6, 5-2. Lopez is into the Round of 16 at Weston and he will play Dane Sweeny in about 3 hours.

Gray and McHugh win their first round doubles match at Wimbledon 7-6 (7-1), 6-3!!

MTfrog5

IVE NEVER BEEN MORE EXCITED FOR A TENNIS MATCH. My wife is going to hate me if Cam ends up playing in finals of some of these grand slam events because she knows tennis will then be added to the list of events I’ll be watching.

Jared7

As Norrie and Munar are set to begin their opening round doubles match on Court 18 against the Tsitsipas Bros., guess who's trending on twitter?? It's Cameron Norrie. Somehow I doubt that it's due to this doubles match...

The reason, I think (one can never be sure), is because of an article in the Herald (Scotland) asking if Cam Norrie is really Scottish. Wikipedia lists his nationality as New Zealand, but according to his birthplace (Johannesburg), it'd be South African. And he also has claims to be a Texan. But officially, he's a citizen of the U.K. - because he formalized that a few years ago. But evidently, this is now a huge debate among the Scots. His Dad is from near Glasgow and Cam has said that he has a "filthy Scottish accent." And when he played a Davis Cup tie at Glasgow a year or so ago, Cam made a point of claiming Scottish heritage by bringing his Dad with him and going to a match of the local football club. In any event, the Federer match has gotten him into the limelight enough such that this has become a debate in Scotland and throughout the British Isles.

And they're off! Norrie/Munar lead 2-1 early.

Last edited: