• The KillerFrogs

TCU Men's Tennis - 2020-2021

jake102

The commentators on ESPN were talking about Federer and lefties in the Gasquet match and they pointed out that, despite the conventional wisdom, Roger is something like 35-1 against all lefties not named Nadal. That is, that he sometimes has difficulty but ultimately wins.

And speculating about who the crowd will root for -

Sure - but name legitimate lefties from the past 15 years.... looking at the rankings now and you have Nadal at #3, then Shapo at #11, Humbert at #25 and then Norrie at #32. Federer has only played Shapo once, two years ago. Never played Humbert. And never an official ATP match against Norrie.

And ultimately - in his career, Federer has a winning percentage of 82.4% against right handers and 77.8% against lefties. His last 20 matches against lefties have been Koepfer, Ramos, Nadal, Shapo, Verdasco, Nishioka, Mannarino, Pella, M Zverev, Delbonis..... not a highly ranked group.

I'm not predicting a win here, but there's no doubt Norrie's lefty game is a negative for Fed.

I'm also interested who the crowd cheers for... I anticipate equal rooting interest. And ultimately rooting for a long match.

Jared7

Norrie and Munar take the first set 7-5! It was even on serve all the way until the break in the 12th game. Norrie better win this or he won't even be the best Frog as Alastair is already into the 2nd round.

I agree with you - Cam being a lefty is a disadvantage for Federer. I'm just pointing out what the ESPN guys said. Eurosport is predicting a Fed W in a 5-setter - that would make the Wimbledon fans happy. I'm hoping that Cam plays well; but I'm expecting a routine Federer win. Hope I'm wrong...

Jared7

Norrie v. Federer is scheduled to be the 2nd match on Centre Court this morning at Wimbledon (following Gauff-Jovan) - it's scheduled for 8:45 a.m. This is the last Wimbledon to schedule tomorrow (Sunday) as a day off for everyone; next year, they're going to start playing the middle Sunday and break with tradition. The objective for the top players has always been to "get to the 2nd week." Is Cam now a top player? Well, we'll see today. Needless to say, this is probably the biggest match of Norrie's career to date. What I'm guessing will happen is that he'll play competitively but it won't be that close and Federer will win fairly easily. Hope I'm wrong. Go Cam! (I'll be at work and I'm DVRing it - so no spoilers please.;)

Purp

Norrie breaks back!
That was awesome. Broken easily and seemed unlike to win the set. Then broke right back immediately. Brass balls.

And Fed nearly breaks right back, but again Cam with ice in his veins. Really impressive showing for Cam.

Last edited: