• The KillerFrogs

RUGBY - WTH

Froglaw

Home on a 25 degree night in DFW.

Ireland v Wales in A Rugby match.

Two things

Punting seems to be similar to a down field pass but I'm not sure.

Rugby players don't miss tackles. Really.

I've been watching for 15 minutes and no runner has been able to break a tackle.

Coach GP, let's train Rugby Style on defense.

Third beer makes this really fun too!

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Oh, but the beauty of the tackling! The ability to transfer force in a truly artful manner is simply beautiful.

Yes. Have the kids watch some of that. The technique and fundamentals are magnificent.

Eight

Home on a 25 degree night in DFW.

Ireland v Wales in A Rugby match.

Two things

Punting seems to be similar to a down field pass but I'm not sure.

Rugby players don't miss tackles. Really.

I've been watching for 15 minutes and no runner has been able to break a tackle.

Coach GP, let's train Rugby Style on defense.

Third beer makes this really fun too!

maybe if you stopped watching cnn you might hear that the idea of teachiing rugby tackling isn't new to american football coaches at the nfl and college levels and that includes the frogs own gary patterson.

from a 2015 article linked below:

"Could rugby-style tackling become a better tactic, if not a solution, for reducing football's concussion numbers? Could this be tackling's future at all levels?

"If this is something, as we go forward with the studies, that make us better," TCU coach Gary Patterson said, "then I think you'll see a lot of people go to this." "

Shorty

There's a few reasons for the good tackling. One, in rugby union you have to "wrap" your arms when you tackle. No shoulder charges or diving into someone allowed. The lack of helmet and pads also forces good form so you don't hurt yourself. No blocking makes it easier. Play doesn't stop when there is a tackle so there's less focus on big hits and more just stopping the ball carrier and trying to turnover possession. On offense you want to attack open space so you will often run forwards (big guys) with the ball straight into contact (tackles) to force the defense to commit players to the breakdown and ruck. Suck defense into the breakdown and then move the ball out wide into space.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Jarryd Hayne did okay in the NFL, but didn’t exactly burn it up. There are five former American footballers in the English Premier Rugby league. I’m not sure that proves anything just an observation.

Horny4TCU

I almost played rugby in high school. It was a club/group in Fort Worth that wasn't related to my school. I decided not to play when I heard stories of guys having to vaseline their ears to keep them from getting ripped off. I like my ears, so I went the more ear friendly route.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
you sure that didn't read

"Give Blood. Drive The Katy Freeway"
No, that would read: "Drive the Katy Freeway. Kiss Your Ass Goodbye!" Or, depending on the time of day, "Drive the Katy Freeway. Bring a Good Book!"

There actually was a sticker that read: "Pray For Me. I Drive 1960."

Rugby is awesome. My son played it for years and now he's at Kutztown, a national power in collegiate rugby. There are teams in Austin and Houston. I'm a season ticket holder for Old Glory DC. A great sport and brutal at times.

toadallytexan

ToadallyTexan
What is rugby?

I know of football, basketball, and baseball. What is this rugby you speak of?

:rolleyes:
A ruffian's game, played by gentlemen.

Rugby has some strange ways...in Sligo, six of our team were in a downtown pub, "walked' out the door on our knees, each with a hand on the guy in front's shoulder, singing, "Hi-Ho Hi-Ho, it's off to work we go. With a pick and a shovel and a smile on our face..." As we left the customers, we got away with lifting and downing their drinks, as they were too amazed to interrupt these obvious lunatics.

illini_frog

Played all 4 years at TCU, play for Fort Worth now (although recovering from a meniscus repair surgery I had to have and COVID has shut things down for a year or so). Unfortunately, some poor club leadership the years after I left drove the club down and I don't believe it exists at TCU currently, some current TCU students will come join us at Fort Worth rugby occasionally I know.

Six Nations is the tournament going on right now, massive European tournament between Wales, England, Ireland, France, Scotland, and Italy. Last night Wales vs. Ireland must've been a re-run because this morning (spoilers coming) Wales had a massive comeback to beat Scotland.

Great sport, made some of my best friends in college playing, helps me stay in shape, and allowed to hit people without getting in trouble for it.

Great thing about rugby is everyone has to be able to do everything, big guys have to be able to catch and run with the ball, little guys have to be able to tackle, anyone can score.

toadallytexan

ToadallyTexan
The after party is the best part of rugby. Didn't play, but been in the pub with rugby teams a time or two. Much like fighter pilot songs and antics.
In Mobile
In Mobile
In MO, In MO, In MO
In Mobile.
There's a shortage of wine glasses,
Because all the upper classes,
Put those glasses up their a-----
In Mobile

One of the milder ones

Last edited: