• The KillerFrogs

Congressional proposal would overhaul college sports, require revenue sharing

One Frog Nation

There are some pretty big things in this bill that would change college sports forever. The revenue sharing for one, they would add together all the revenue from all 130 schools that play football, baseball, mens and women's basketball subtract the cost of the scholarships at those schools and give the balance to the players. Interesting thing to me is that it only concerns itself with revenue and scholarships, not coaches salary, stadium maintenance, trainers, equipment, etc. I am also not sure but I think some colleges roll over some or all of the profit into general funds to help with expenses elsewhere on campus. Many other details in this.

Congressional proposal would overhaul college sports, require revenue sharing, cover athletes' medical costs (espn.com)

Eight

There are some pretty big things in this bill that would change college sports forever. The revenue sharing for one, they would add together all the revenue from all 130 schools that play football, baseball, mens and women's basketball subtract the cost of the scholarships at those schools and give the balance to the players. Interesting thing to me is that it only concerns itself with revenue and scholarships, not coaches salary, stadium maintenance, trainers, equipment, etc. I am also not sure but I think some colleges roll over some or all of the profit into general funds to help with expenses elsewhere on campus. Many other details in this.

Congressional proposal would overhaul college sports, require revenue sharing, cover athletes' medical costs (espn.com)

wonderful, we trade the ncaa for the federal government.

what possibly go wrong with the federal government setting up a panel to screen and prove agent or any other aspect of this proposal since there are so many in congress who actually have been involved in some form of business.

in response to the revenue sharing, you missed one small detail. it would be gross revenues - costs of scholarships x 0.50 with that amount distributed to the athletes and i would presume the remaining balance given to the schools to spend as they see fit.

the bigger issue is not the school that direct money back to their general funds (i.e. texas), but the number of schools that need the revenue to fund other sports.

unfortunately this is something that is only going to garner more attention when you have the sec signing a 3B contract with espn and that damn sure isn't to watch saban and eddie o stand on the sideline

Eight

Get ready for labor unions.

what i found most interesting in the proposal is this comment about the commission:

"No university or athletic department administrators would be allowed to serve on the board."

they would however be appointed by the president.

Endless Purple

I like how they did most of the discussions with the athletes and only a little with people from the schools. That is like asking the front line workers to determine the financial structure for a company such as McDonalds - no clue as to all the moving parts, nor concern for parts beyond themselves.

I also do not see how they will be able to take the money from all 130 schools for football and evenly divide the money for all players. OU already sued for individual rights to their income, so does that precedent become void since the govt want to take it away? Also how much money after the players cuts will go back to the schools and at what amount per school, evenly distributed is very doubtful?

So much for Title IX - men get paid but women don't.... Women's basketball as a whole is not profitable.

Also I don't know if they thought about fair compensation for likeness or just how much a booster agrees to if they sign with a certain school.

Endless Purple

• Athletes also would be able to enter a draft for a professional sports league without losing their eligibility. If the athlete decides not to turn pro after entering the draft, they would have to let their athletic director know they are returning to college within seven days of the draft ending.

How is this supposed to work with football? They skip out on the semester to train, don't like their draft pick, so must return to school in time for finals?

One Frog Nation

does this only apply to scholarship players, usually only the first string kicker is on a scholly, if he is. Will the $$ get split with the non scholly players as well? I can see the big money boosters at the "blue blood" schools lining up to hire, I mean convince the players to come to their school. I can hear the recruiting pitch (it won't be the coaches pitching the schools but the boosters), come to us and we will pay you x more than any one else. Oh and maybe condi rice can get a new football job on the commission.

kidkarr

• Athletes also would be able to enter a draft for a professional sports league without losing their eligibility. If the athlete decides not to turn pro after entering the draft, they would have to let their athletic director know they are returning to college within seven days of the draft ending.

How is this supposed to work with football? They skip out on the semester to train, don't like their draft pick, so must return to school in time for finals?
If you are not eligible for classes, you can’t return. If you are thinking of returning, better train after class.

4 Oaks Frog

We are getting ready to see so much of this [ Finebaum ] in every aspect of our lives. The Central Government knows so much better how we as human citizens should conduct our lives, including our sports. Thank you Trump haters. Cut you nose off to spite your face. Said by a non-Trump lover...
GO FROGS!
BEAT NEXT UP!
Spit Blood ~~<~<and fornicate baylor & DC!!