• The KillerFrogs

Has anyone seen my specialty plates?

Mean Purple

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
I'm a big defense hawk.

But how far we've come weapon wise sometimes scares the [ Cumbie’s red zone playcalling ] outta me.

Seems like it is designed to avoid collateral damage.
Humanity has the means to kill itself about 5 times over now, and that number just keeps growing. Amazing that calmer heads have actually prevailed most of the time...

jake102

Humanity has the means to kill itself about 5 times over now, and that number just keeps growing. Amazing that calmer heads have actually prevailed most of the time...

Deterrence-is-the-art-of-producing-in-the-mind-of-the-enemy-the-FEAR-to-attack.jpg

tcudoc

So sorry to hear what you're going through right now. I raised my daughter by myself since she was 3. Reason sounds very familiar. The mother decided she was going to date a drug dealer. The rest is history. I also had to make several sacrifices since I didn't get any child support with her mom ending up in prison 3 different times.

My daughter was also diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes right after her mom left. Had no insurance to help pay for her insulin, doctor visits, hospital stays. It was a very tough time in my life, and for my daughter. I never dated while I was raising her. Not until she graduated did I start dating.

I had one bad year out of my daughter at about the age of 12. She was starting to go through that independence phase. I somehow became the evil father overnight because I wouldn't let her roam the streets, or go to the mall with her friends without a parent being there also.

Once she started high school at Paschal, she realized just how much "Daddy" really did have her back, and I somehow became the "Cool Dad" to all of her friends. They would come to talk to me because they couldn't talk to their parents like that could me. I was the "Best Dad"again.

Try your hardest not to take it personal, and believe me, that isn't easy. They go through situations and/or phases in their life. The best advice I can give is pay close attention to things, changes, and especially her friends. Keep a very open line of communication for her to be able to come to you with ANYTHING. Don't try to be her best friend. They have enough friends, they don't need another. They need a PARENT to guide them, not a hangout buddy.

I don't know if anything I said helps, but if you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to me or even my daughter.
You sound like an awesome Dad. Congrats on getting through those tough times. That is some excellent advice you have given.

Salfrog

Tier 1
You sound like an awesome Dad. Congrats on getting through those tough times. That is some excellent advice you have given.

Thanks Doc. It definitely wasn't easy. It took alot of patience & understanding. I had to learn how to look at things from both a mother & father perspective. Luckily I had great parents that helped keep me grounded. When my father passed in '08, it made it even harder because he was always my voice of reason & sounding board, and my daughter was a Sophomore in high school. She was the apple of his eye. It took a toll on me, but I couldn't let her see how it effected me. Had to step in and take care of everything for my mom at that time also. I never had an opportunity to grieve.

Unfortunately we aren't given an owners manual when we have children to let us know what to do in different situations. Pretty much have to wing it, and a lot of learning on the job experiences. I was nowhere near perfect, but I sure wasn't going to let my daughter go down the same path as her mother. Taught her to make her own money and to never depend on a man or anyone to support her.

ftwfrog

Man that is tough. We were in a similar situation a couple of years ago when my sister-in-law lost custody of her two daughters (at the time ages 14 and 8) and my wife and I took them in for three and a half years (we actually went through the process of adopting them). I thought the 14 year old was going to have the hardest time adjusting, but it turned out it was the 8 year old. She too thought her mom was the greatest in the world and hated living with us, made things difficult, and would act out regularly. Now, years later, she understands what was going on and really appreciates the home and love we provided all those years. So give it time, it will get better.
Reminds me of one of the more iconic and ironic movie quotes. From Rob Howard’s Parenthood, Keanu Reeves plays a dummy with a big heart, “that Todd”. Talking to a younger Joaquin Phoenix, he says “you need a license to buy a dog, or drive a car. Hell, you need a license to catch a fish! But they'll let any butt-reaming [ Arschloch] be a father.“ or in NWLA’s case “a mother”.

Good movie.

Eight

Thanks Doc. It definitely wasn't easy. It took alot of patience & understanding. I had to learn how to look at things from both a mother & father perspective. Luckily I had great parents that helped keep me grounded. When my father passed in '08, it made it even harder because he was always my voice of reason & sounding board, and my daughter was a Sophomore in high school. She was the apple of his eye. It took a toll on me, but I couldn't let her see how it effected me. Had to step in and take care of everything for my mom at that time also. I never had an opportunity to grieve.

Unfortunately we aren't given an owners manual when we have children to let us know what to do in different situations. Pretty much have to wing it, and a lot of learning on the job experiences. I was nowhere near perfect, but I sure wasn't going to let my daughter go down the same path as her mother. Taught her to make her own money and to never depend on a man or anyone to support her.

Salfrog, first and foremost thanks for the things you have shared on this board be it caring for your fiance and now raising your daughter. takes a great deal even in an "anonymous" environment such as this to share those things as i would imagine each time there is some pain.

second, your daughter was/ is lucky to have you in her life and this board is better to have you.

god's speed going forward with life.

Salfrog

Tier 1
Salfrog, first and foremost thanks for the things you have shared on this board be it caring for your fiance and now raising your daughter. takes a great deal even in an "anonymous" environment such as this to share those things as i would imagine each time there is some pain.

second, your daughter was/ is lucky to have you in her life and this board is better to have you.

god's speed going forward with life.

Thank you so much Eight. I'm hoping to see my fiance very soon before something happens. Her mother seems to be more open to it now. I totally understand her feelings, though it hurt, not being able to physically see her daughter. My mother was able to resume her cancer treatments a month ago, so hoping that goes well and she kicks this cancer to the curb.

It has been alot to deal with over the last few years, plus with everything going on in the world the last few months has made it even more stressful. My job & this forum has been my only outlet to block out everything for brief moments. Hoping we have a good year in sports for all of our Frogs athletics to make things better for all of us.