• The KillerFrogs

Fall camp thread

ShreveFrog

5 days left in fall camp and then the mode switches to normal practice schedules. Two scrimmages left (Wed & Sat) and then expect the starting QB to be announced.

Duggan: up & down and needs to take better care of the ball, strong arm and throws some bullets.

Rogers: threw some nice deep balls and crisp passes overall but holds on to the ball too long.

Delton: better at taking care of the ball, good mobility but not as crisp of a passer.

Think taking care of the ball will win out especially with the weapons on the offense but it may be close.

Add 'em all up and I think Collins is the best of all worlds (if healthy). Sticking with my prediction of a two-headed monster of Collins/Delton.

DubaiFrog

prior to this year? travin howard and jonathan anderson though i think anderson might not have been in the league last year.

this year ty with the packers and johnson with seahawks though it is still a month until the season starts.

i will say i am not counting guys like hughes and carraway who were defensive ends in college and olb's in the nfl.

Going back some time I would bet we've had more LB drafted than any other position in the GP era.

Since 2000
Stephen Hodge
Robert Hensen
Jason Phillips
Daryl Washington
Tank Carder
PJ Dawson
Josh Carraway
Travin Howard
Ty Summers

Doesn't include undrafted FA David Hawthorne and Jonathan Anderson. That makes 11 guys in 19 years.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?abbr=T&collegeName=Texas+Christian&abbrFlag=0&type=school

Last edited:

Eight

Going back some time I would bet we've had more LB drafted than any other position in the GP era.

Since 2000
Stephen Hodge
Robert Hensen
Jason Phillips
Daryl Washington
Tank Carder
PJ Dawson
Josh Carraway
Travin Howard
Ty Summers

Doesn't include undrafted FA David Hawthorne and Jonathan Anderson. That makes 11 guys in 19 years.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?abbr=T&collegeName=Texas+Christian&abbrFlag=0&type=school

your list is a bit skewed. josh carraway was a defensive end at tcu and drafted to play linebacker. if you claim him for that list you might as well claim jerry hughes. additionally,

the frogs had a great run a linebacker in 2009 and 2010 drafts where they had 4 linebackers drafted in:

robert henson - 2009
stephen hodge - 2009
jason phillips -2009
daryl washington - 2010

joined by:
tank carder -2012
paul dawson -2015
travin howard -2018

two issues here are a bulk of these guys were playing in college when the average high school recruit was 7-8 years of age and only 1 is still in the league.

not knocking these guys, great college players and they got an opportunity very few college players get in being drafted and making an nfl roster.

proximity of time does matter and marcus cannon as a reference is far more valuable playing for the pats and having a couple of super bowl rings than having played in the rose bowl versus wisconsin.

heck, vaitai playing for the eagles against the pats is more valuable in recruiting than that rose bowl win.

offensive tackle however has had 8 players drafted:

anthony alabi - 2005
herbert taylor - 2007
marshall newhouse - 2010
marcus cannon - 2011
tayo fabuluje - 2015
halapouilivati vaitai - 2016
matt pryor - 2018
joseph noteboom 2018

DubaiFrog

two issues here are a bulk of these guys were playing in college when the average high school recruit was 7-8 years of age and only 1 is still in the league.

not knocking these guys, great college players and they got an opportunity very few college players get in being drafted and making an nfl roster.

proximity of time does matter and marcus cannon as a reference is far more valuable playing for the pats and having a couple of super bowl rings than having played in the rose bowl versus wisconsin.

heck, vaitai playing for the eagles against the pats is more valuable in recruiting than that rose bowl win.

using this logic, we shouldn't bother mentioning LT since he was in college before current recruits were born and retired from the NFL when they were in middle school.

The comment was based more on LB recruiting. GP averages putting a LB in the NFL every 2 years. Recruiting pitch that if you come here and start, you are more than likely going to be drafted should be hard to counter.

Eight

using this logic, we shouldn't bother mentioning LT since he was in college before current recruits were born and retired from the NFL when they were in middle school.

The comment was based more on LB recruiting. GP averages putting a LB in the NFL every 2 years. Recruiting pitch that if you come here and start, you are more than likely going to be drafted should be hard to counter.

you going to compare lt's name recognition with 16-17 year olds to that of stephen hodge, tank carder, and daryl washington?

far, far more impactful to say the frogs have 6 offensive tackles on current nfl rosters because those are guys who are currently playing,

if you speak in past tense those names in the past better be guys that are elite more so than guys who made rosters.

asleep003

Anyone that starts for GP, on Defense, gets a serious look from those in the NFL. Also the OL get looks that they mostly never got, over 20 years ago.

CryptoMiner

QB decision is basically over.

If Collins is back soon, I’d expect:
1. Delton
2. Collins
3. Rogers
4. Duggan (redshirt plan)

If Collins has a long recovery:
1. Delton
2. Duggan
3. Rogers

We hope the season goes well enough to preserve a redshirt with Duggan and give Rogers hope to keep with TCU and healing up.

I think it is over for at least the start of the season and withholding Collins until we know he is cleared.

Collins and Delton are the "safe" bets, in normal game atmosphere they won't lose the game but most likely won't win it either by making the big plays.

We can get through the bulk of the season (barring injuries) with just that type of QB, but in games such as UT or OU we may need a playmaker at QB and not sure they can be that guy. Hopefully wrong.

Duggan is too erratic to be that guy right now but give him some plays here & there in real time maybe he shows rapid improvement.

I like Rogers to be the one who can be a playmaker but he still has his work to do, so it is the safe bet for now (unless something drastic changes the next few weeks).

Froggish

Big Scrimmage day and week for evaluations. I expect by Sunday we will know that Delton is our starter and get a pretty decent picture of our two deep.

MinFrog

Delton will be the starter and I would guess Duggan is the #2. Max has the most upside on the squad (pending JR dropfoot). I think Duggan takes over the #2 spot by APB game and won't redshirt this season. No reason to play for 4 seasons from now if you think he is the next best option.

4th. down

Delton will be the starter and I would guess Duggan is the #2. Max has the most upside on the squad (pending JR dropfoot). I think Duggan takes over the #2 spot by APB game and won't redshirt this season. No reason to play for 4 seasons from now if you think he is the next best option.

I don't see Dugan ahead of Collins but this is a big week for the 2 deep with today's scrimmage and Sat. A lot can happen with 2 back to back scrimmages. Then there will be adjustments in the off week before Purdue but basically, I believe the die will be cast come Sunday.

Just thinking at receiver it will be Reagor, Stephens, Pro Wells, Barber, Hights, and Thomas. Got to get Al'Dontre Davis and D. Davis some serious touches also.