• The KillerFrogs

OT - The Von Erichs

Chongo94

Saw a documentary on them last night on the Viceland channel. Really good stuff. Remember seeing them on tv as a kid but never in person. EVERYONE knew who the Von Erichs were back in the day. Any of you old olds ever see them in person?

Knew Kerry had had his foot amputated but thought it later towards the end, didn’t know he wrestled for years that way. Hard to imagine everything that befell that family.

Link to the documentary that I believe is able to watch for anyone interested. Around 45 mins.

https://www.viceland.com/en_us/video/the-last-of-the-von-erichs/5c1a9c65be407707c961c831

Last edited:

LVH

Good wrestling family but just goes to show what the business was like back in the day. Lots of drug use, PED use, and untreated concussions. I think it was Chris Benoit's episode back in 2007 that finally caused WWE to make the changes it needed to make for the well being of wrestlers in the business

Sad that pretty much all of the Von Erich family have died from unnatural causes or killed themselves.

Chongo94

Good wrestling family but just goes to show what the business was like back in the day. Lots of drug use, PED use, and untreated concussions. I think it was Chris Benoit's episode back in 2007 that finally caused WWE to make the changes it needed to make for the well being of wrestlers in the business

Sad that pretty much all of the Von Erich family have died from unnatural causes or killed themselves.

Yeah, Kevin was interviewed throughout this and attributes him having his own family as what saved him.

Apparently his sons are now in the wrestling business these days although mainly overseas I think.

netty2424

Saw a documentary on them last night on the Viceland channel. Really good stuff. Remember seeing them on tv as a kid but never in person. EVERYONE knew who the Von Erichs we’re back in the day. Any of you old olds ever see them in person?

Knew Kerry had had his foot amputated but thought it later towards the end, didn’t know he wrestled for years that way. Hard to imagine everything that befell that family.

Link to the documentary that I believe is able to watch for anyone interested. Around 45 mins.

https://www.viceland.com/en_us/video/the-last-of-the-von-erichs/5c1a9c65be407707c961c831
Dark Side of the Ring?

Chongo94

Dark Side of the Ring?

Indeed. It’s a new series on Vice about wrestling issues or something like that.

Only watched this one and two others, both of which were pretty dang good. One was about Randy Macho Man Savage and the other about Brett Hitman Hart.

Frog-in-law1995

Any of you old olds ever see them in person?

knc2fTp.gif

Fortress Frog

Have always heard a story that when Kerry wrestled in WWE (well after his dad’s business folded) that his prosthetic foot once slipped off during a match and he was scrambling to put it back on. Apparently he never told anyone about it including other wrestlers. Always wore something on his foot in the locker room to hide it.

Chongo94

That’s crazy. WWF made a mistake calling him “The Texas Tornado.” Should’ve just stuck with Kerry Von Erich and that name recognition.

Raw Frog

Have always heard a story that when Kerry wrestled in WWE (well after his dad’s business folded) that his prosthetic foot once slipped off during a match and he was scrambling to put it back on. Apparently he never told anyone about it including other wrestlers. Always wore something on his foot in the locker room to hide it.

I took his deposition in a case where one of the brothers sued the doctor for toxic shock syndrome, and Kerry denied the amputation. He also swore under oath that the matches were not fixed and were real.
You had to hand it to him, he was Old School and held his end of the bargain up for the fans.....

geezer

Colonel, USAF (Retired)
Saw a documentary on them last night on the Viceland channel. Really good stuff. Remember seeing them on tv as a kid but never in person. EVERYONE knew who the Von Erichs were back in the day. Any of you old olds ever see them in person?

Yep. Watched them on the local broadcast from the Dallas Sportatorium and saw them live a couple of times at the (FW) Northside Arena.

MTfrog5

Indeed. It’s a new series on Vice about wrestling issues or something like that.

Only watched this one and two others, both of which were pretty dang good. One was about Randy Macho Man Savage and the other about Brett Hitman Hart.
Another decent doc is called Beyond the Mat. Think it has Mick Foley and Jake the Snake in it. But yes Benoit was a main factor in WWE and how they handled concussions. Eddie Guerrero is another tragedy that made them look at policies

Eight

anyone want to admit they were at texas stadium to watch the 6-man world tag team battle between the von erich's and the freebirds?

19840405_vonerich_freebirds--5821d5ecf834d9920c57575028650be1.jpg

if i recall correctly the boys were very good high school athletes in football and track

netty2424

I watched wrasltin as a young lad but that quickly got left behind when I started playing contact sports. Dad took me to the Sportatorium off industrial a few times to see the Von Erich’s. But I didn’t follow much at all as I got older. Never was into WWE and all of that.

That said, I’ve been watching that Vice series too and it’s fantastic. I haven’t seen the Von Erich's one yet. In fact if it was on last night I don’t imagine it recorded due to the weather. We were real hit and miss with the satellite all night through the Stars game.

Chongo94

Yep. Watched them on the local broadcast from the Dallas Sportatorium and saw them live a couple of times at the (FW) Northside Arena.

Legit old school there with the Sportatorium reference. Only saw it on tv as well, as I grew up out in West Texas.

Chongo94

I watched wrasltin as a young lad but that quickly got left behind when I started playing contact sports. Dad took me to the Sportatorium off industrial a few times to see the Von Erich’s. But I didn’t follow much at all as I got older. Never was into WWE and all of that.

That said, I’ve been watching that Vice series too and it’s fantastic. I haven’t seen the Von Erich's one yet. In fact if it was on last night I don’t imagine it recorded due to the weather. We were real hit and miss with the satellite all night through the Stars game.

It was on last night, yes. I think you’ll be able to watch it through the link provided. Might have to provide your cable provider info though.