• The KillerFrogs

This is where Gary starts to lose his chili with fans, press, etc....

Mean Purple

In-game Gary seemed fine with what was happening. Why would he be upset?
said this elsewhere. I really hope he is not just canning this year for a "grow em up" year. Writing off would be bad. hurts recruiting. I cannot imagine he would do that. So I can't imagine he was fine with what was happening in the game. Watching it on tv, he was going nuts on the sidelines.

CountryFrog

I don't know how you can watch that offense and think that simply swapping out Robinson for Collins will fix it. You must think that every single coach on the team is a total moron for not knowing that's the answer.

I'm not even saying they won't or shouldn't make a change at this point, but if they do it then I think it'll only be change for the sake of change in hopes that a new QB will somehow provide a spark. The OL is playing so awful right now that it's hard to get a good feel for how good any of the skill guys actually are.

CountryFrog

said this elsewhere. I really hope he is not just canning this year for a "grow em up" year. Writing off would be bad. hurts recruiting. I cannot imagine he would do that. So I can't imagine he was fine with what was happening in the game. Watching it on tv, he was going nuts on the sidelines.
A "grow em up year?" The hell does that even mean? If you're insinuating that you think the head coach isn't prioritizing winning then I think you're WAY off base. He may well have made some bad decisions in games and/or with staff or personnel that are worth critiquing but he absolutely is trying to win games.

CountryFrog

And add to it that the coach everyone thinks is terrible (Kliff) changed his offense in a week and came up with plays that suited the 3rd stringer and helped his team win a game. When has our OC changed plays to our players. We are still running the same plays we ran with Meachum. Only difference is Meachum's trick plays worked. Ours...lost yards in the waiting.
I'm not ready to give Kliff a ton of credit for anything they did tonight. You think he drew up the play where no one covers the slot receiver running straight down the middle especially for Duffy? Or the play where the entire D-line goes into hero mode and loses all gap integrity to allow the QB to run 30 yards before coming in contact with a defender?

Without those two plays that had nothing to do with the play caller or offensive game plan then his offense scores 3 points for the second year in a row against TCU.

Mean Purple

A "grow em up year?" The hell does that even mean? If you're insinuating that you think the head coach isn't prioritizing winning then I think you're WAY off base. He may well have made some bad decisions in games and/or with staff or personnel that are worth critiquing but he absolutely is trying to win games.
flowers for the statue. flowers for the statue. wait, its an offensive statue? screw it.

Punter1

I'm not ready to give Kliff a ton of credit for anything they did tonight. You think he drew up the play where no one covers the slot receiver running straight down the middle especially for Duffy? Or the play where the entire D-line goes into hero mode and loses all gap integrity to allow the QB to run 30 yards before coming in contact with a defender?

Without those two plays that had nothing to do with the play caller or offensive game plan then his offense scores 3 points for the second year in a row against TCU.

I agree.. but but my point is that their 3rd string QB in a couple running backs that aren't supposed to be as good as ours... looked better then our first string QB.

Duffy look much more prepared, will coached, and was put in better positions to be successful.

And here is the most important point. Tuffy never put the ball in a bad position. His two pics were basically jump ball punts. He never threw in the coverage. He never looked fooled. Robinson always looks that way. Duffy just looked better tonight...and definately not as bad...

CountryFrog

I agree.. but but my point is that their 3rd string QB in a couple running backs that aren't supposed to be as good as ours... looked better then our first string QB.

Duffy look much more prepared, will coached, and was put in better positions to be successful.

And here is the most important point. Tuffy never put the ball in a bad position. His two pics were basically jump ball punts. He never threw in the coverage. He never looked fooled. Robinson always looks that way. Duffy just looked better tonight...and definately not as bad...
I guess I watched a different game than you. Other than his TD run, Duffy didn't do much of anything well. He easily could've had 3 picks.

He never fumbled though so that's a plus in his column.

Sebastian S

I don't know how you can watch that offense and think that simply swapping out Robinson for Collins will fix it. You must think that every single coach on the team is a total moron for not knowing that's the answer.

I'm not even saying they won't or shouldn't make a change at this point, but if they do it then I think it'll only be change for the sake of change in hopes that a new QB will somehow provide a spark. The OL is playing so awful right now that it's hard to get a good feel for how good any of the skill guys actually are.

You never know if you dont try.

Coach P likes the story of a QB he had that was plain horrible in practice but won on Saturdays, Ballard?

Quick decision making is key especially if your oline isn't always great.

CountryFrog

You never know if you dont try.

Coach P likes the story of a QB he had that was plain horrible in practice but won on Saturdays, Ballard?

Quick decision making is key especially if your oline isn't always great.
Your first sentence is the only real argument that anyone on here can make in favor of changing the QB. If it was all as easy as just inserting new players then how about putting 3 or 4 new o-linemen in as well. Surely the backups are better right?

Again, I'm not saying they won't or shouldn't try Collins. I just don't see anything that leads me to believe the offense will be better with him at QB.

CountryFrog

It really can't be much worse.

Limiting turnovers alone would be an AMAZING change.
The QB had one turnover tonight and we only scored 14 points. Without that turnover we have 17 assuming a made FG. So there's clearly more than just limiting turnovers at the QB position that needs to change.

And it can ALWAYS be worse.

BABYFACE

The QB had one turnover tonight and we only scored 14 points. Without that turnover we have 17 assuming a made FG. So there's clearly more than just limiting turnovers at the QB position that needs to change.

And it can ALWAYS be worse.
He also fumbled twice, one that TCU retained and one on 4th down. He is careless with protecting the ball and has been in all his starts going back to the Tech game last season, with the exception of the Southern game.

CountryFrog

He also fumbled twice, one that TCU retained and one on 4th down. He is careless with protecting the ball and has been in all his starts going back to the Tech game last season, with the exception of the Southern game.
Clearly that's all true but that wasn't the point I was objecting with. I never said the QB wasn't making mistakes. I simply said it's not as simple as only limiting QB turnovers to fix the offense. Because even if you take away the QB's turnover in this game we still only score 17 points probably. So there's clearly more to the struggles than just the QB turnovers. Some of those struggles are certainly related to other things that the QB is or isn't doing.

Purple Hearted

Duffy was the better quarterback tonight. No off balance, back foot, jump throws. Way fewer missed checks-reads, plus he was much better at managing the game. Not to put all of this at SR's feet, but there were several times when I wished he that Duffy was in purple tonight (well, black).

We can all see the flaws in SR's game. Shoot, my sister was making astute comments about our QB play tonight, but worse than his play was our offensive line. They were atrocious. Our two guards were beat on, what seemed like (I'll have to rewatch) half of our offensive snaps. I well remember the offensive ineptitude in 2013, but I don't remember that offensive line getting whipped at the rate that we consistently were tonight. We struggled with just 3-4 man rushes, but I felt that they were dominated when Tech brought someone. Just ugly, ugly offensive football all night long.

CountryFrog

Duffy was the better quarterback tonight. No off balance, back foot, jump throws. Way fewer missed checks-reads, plus he was much better at managing the game. Not to put all of this at SR's feet, but there were several times when I wished he that Duffy was in purple tonight (well, black).

We can all see the flaws in SR's game. Shoot, my sister was making astute comments about our QB play tonight, but worse than his play was our offensive line. They were atrocious. Our two guards were beat on, what seemed like (I'll have to rewatch) half of our offensive snaps. I well remember the offensive ineptitude in 2013, but I don't remember that offensive line getting whipped at the rate that we consistently were tonight. We struggled with just 3-4 man rushes, but I felt that they were dominated when Tech brought someone. Just ugly, ugly offensive football all night long.
I don't wish Duffy was our QB. If he didn't have his slot receiver go totally uncovered down the middle of the field in the 2nd quarter then there is likely no one on earth who would utter that opinion. So unless you want to credit that play to his great command of the offense then he didn't really have anything to do with that going for a TD. And that came a couple plays after we had them stopped but a defensive holding penalty gave them a free 1st down. I guess we give Duffy credit for that too.

Mean Purple

on another thread I mentioned about what we lost from last year's line. those guys stepped up in so many ways as the season wore on.

this year's oline shows some promise, but that comes with more experience. did look rough for the guard. couple of times just got flat beat and barely got his mitts on him. Gibbs schemed really well for our guys.

Frogs1983

Can only hope our supposed Stud QB out of Louisiana gets over his leg injury from HS so he can maybe take the reigns next season, or push Robinson in the Off Season to vastly improve his game.