• The KillerFrogs

Disturbing story involving Oregon State's best pitcher

flyfishingfrog

Your reading comprehension is lacking. I never recommended leaving little girls alone with him. Is this really a problem with him already registered for life as a sex offender? I never said I condoned what he did. I said that if he was an habitual perv they should bury him under the jail. Apparently he has taken responsibility, gone to rehab and according to all reports has led a clean life since. Is there a chance he revert? Maybe. What's the average sentence in Texas now for violent offenders? It certainly isn't life.

What is your solution? Shoot every 15 year old that couldn't control his hormones?

Um, first off - sexual abuse has almost nothing to do with raging hormones - do a little research on what modern research causes or leads people to sexually abuse others - particularly children - and I doubt you will find much that suggests its pent up sexual need.

Also, from my understanding if he was an adult and put in general population as a child molester - the other inmates in the violent crimes wing of most prisons would make sure he got the message that he had made a major mistake in judgement and probably would give him the chance to feel probably what that little girl felt - very violated and scared.

flyfishingfrog

No, not all. Never said all. I'm saying this specific case. He was a kid. There's a reason we don't treat them the same as adults. His behavior was wrong, corrective and punitive action was taken, likehood of his behavior re-occurring is minimal.
I am curious - what exactly is a corrective action for child molestation is that is so effective you think he will never do it again?

Last time I had to do any level of research into sexual assault was way back during a study for med school related to psychological evaluations - but back then sexual assault, particularly of children, had one of the highest levels of recidivism of all violent crimes and nothing from shock therapy to physical and chemical castration to hypnotism had ever proven effective in curbing the repeat offender rate.

So I was just wondering if anyone on here works in that area and knows if there really is a treatment that has proven effective beyond letting the guys in cell block C end a convicted felons breathing.

Horny 4 Life

I am curious - what exactly is a corrective action for child molestation is that is so effective you think he will never do it again?

Last time I had to do any level of research into sexual assault was way back during a study for med school related to psychological evaluations - but back then sexual assault, particularly of children, had one of the highest levels of recidivism of all violent crimes and nothing from shock therapy to physical and chemical castration to hypnotism had ever proven effective in curbing the repeat offender rate.

So I was just wondering if anyone on here works in that area and knows if there really is a treatment that has proven effective beyond letting the guys in cell block C end a convicted felons breathing.

From the study cited in the OP article....

The incidence of sexual reoffending by youth is exceedingly low and has declined further in recent years. The latest empirical findings reviewing studies from 1943 to 2015 found that 95 percent of youth adjudicated for sexual offenses did not recidivate, or commit any further sexual offenses. For youth adjudicated between 2000 to 2015, this rate decreased even further—only 2.75 percent sexually recidivated.

http://www.njjn.org/our-work/juvenile-justice-policy-sex-offense-registration-and-notification-laws

DickBumpastache

Your reading comprehension is lacking. I never recommended leaving little girls alone with him. Is this really a problem with him already registered for life as a sex offender? I never said I condoned what he did. I said that if he was an habitual perv they should bury him under the jail. Apparently he has taken responsibility, gone to rehab and according to all reports has led a clean life since. Is there a chance he revert? Maybe. What's the average sentence in Texas now for violent offenders? It certainly isn't life.

What is your solution? Shoot every 15 year old that couldn't control his hormones?

Your original post warned against "permanent judgment"...so if you don't want to judge the guy, why would you be opposed to letting your kids spend time with him?

So two years of molestation aren't enough for you to pass judgment on the guy? Is the first conviction a free pass for you?

My solution would be to not offer a college scholarship to a person who repeatedly molested a child aged 4-6. What would your solution be?

cdsfrog

Interesting that age has such a huge effect on recidivism in such an act

Wonder if it goes the other way and if we just locked these guys in dark rooms until they were 80 if the impulse dies as they get old also...

It actually makes sense. Their brains aren't fully formed so rehabilitation of a minor is exponentially more likely to occur than of an adult. That said preventive measures can be magnified to get that percentage even lower. Life time parole for similar offenses resulting in long prison sentence. Mandatory therapy for many years (10 minimum or up to 21 whichever is greater)

Deep Purple

People were stoning a sinner who had not had been subjected to the laws and customs of the day (including the 23 judges of the authorized to hand down capital punishment) nor had the required two witnesses been interviewed nor had the other offending party been subjected to the judicial process. If people want to cherry-pick verses and develop doctrine from them without exegesis and textual criticism, it's a pretty slippery slope into making it all into the absence of doctrine.

Bringing it back to the pitcher from OSU, the court had its say (unlike the mob in the biblical example). I feel a significantly greater degree of compassion for the girl that he apparently molested over a period of time. I feel none for him and I will never support any team (MLB or other) that employs him.
Your point is valid, but I think it's secondary in the overall context of Jesus' teaching. The sinner who was being stoned in the passage you mention was an adulteress. She and her consort were both adults and equally guilty of the sin, though -- in that patriarchal culture -- only she, and not her male consort, was accused.

But in Heimlich's case, we're not talking about the sins of adult against adult. We're talking about the sins of a mid-teen against a prepubescent child. Just as Jesus had something special to say to those who wanted to stone the adulteress, he also had something special to say to those who would harm children:

"Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore, whoever takes the lowly position of this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. And whoever welcomes one such child in my name welcomes me. If anyone causes one of these little ones who believe in me to stumble, it would be better for them to have a large millstone hung around their neck and to be drowned in the depths of the sea."
-- Matthew 18:3-6

Deep Purple

Hoosier, you did say, "If the guy turns into a repeat habitual pervert then I agree, bury him under the prison" The only way we could know if he's a "repeat habitual pervert" is if he molests one or more other children. Which makes it sound as if you are willing to accept that price to give the guy a break. But what about the child victim whose innocence and emotional health are sacrificed so that you can feel all good about how you gave Heimlich every chance to clean up his act? Do her rights not count as much on your scale of justice?

You said you never recommended leaving little girls alone with him. Isn't that kind of beside the point? Child molesters don't have to be left alone with children. They know the buttons to push to inspire child trust, and they engineer the circumstances to be isolated with a child.

And for the record, child molesters have just about the highest recidivism rate of any class of criminal. In fact, some experts say that, while they can be redirected, they are never truly rehabilitated. In other words, "once a child molester, always a child molester."

Who are you to risk a child's welfare just so you can give a repeat child molester another break?

Last edited:

Bob

Hanging

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
He repeated his perverted molestation from the time that the victim was 4 years old until she was 6 years old. Not a one time offense, not a teenage mistake, not a foolish error. Conscious, repeated molestation. Of a 4, 5, and 6 year old. To which he confessed in writing.

He can continue to live a life of contrition, and be a positive model for changed behavior. He can do that many ways, for the next 60 years of his life. However, he should not be playing college baseball on scholarship. He should not be paid to play major league baseball.
Hoosier, you did say, "If the guy turns into a repeat habitual pervert then I agree, bury him under the prison" The only way we could know if he's a "repeat habitual pervert" is if he molests one or more other children. Which makes it sound as if you are willing to accept that price to give the guy a break. But what about the child victim whose innocence and emotional health are sacrificed so that you can feel all good about how you gave Heimlich every chance to clean up his act? Do her rights not count as much on your scale of justice?

You said you never recommended leaving little girls alone with him. Isn't that kind of beside the point? Child molesters don't have to be left alone with children. They know the buttons to push to inspire child trust, and they engineer the circumstances to be isolated with a child.

And for the record, child molesters have just about the highest recidivism rate of any class of criminal. In fact, some experts say that, while they can be redirected, they are never truly rehabilitated. In other words, "once a child molester, always a child molester."

Who are you to risk a child's welfare just so you can give a repeat child molester another break?

The same chance is given to any criminal released to the general public. The difference is this guy is on the offender list which may or may not have monitoring or reporting requirements and who apparently has complied with all requirements since he was 15.

Look, I am not defending what he did, but should he treated different than a killer released?

Frog-in-law1995

The same chance is given to any criminal released to the general public. The difference is this guy is on the offender list which may or may not have monitoring or reporting requirements and who apparently has complied with all requirements since he was 15.

Look, I am not defending what he did, but should he treated different than a killer released?

Except he didn't comply with all requirements. That's how the reporter found out.

netty2424

I'm currently sitting in NICU on day 4 with my newborn son with no real idea of when we'll be taking him home. Pregnancy was smooth. Zero indication of any issues and then everything changed in a flash after he was born. The morning after he was born he was rushed into NICU and his and our lives will forever be changed.

I'm sleep deprived and hypersensitive to babies and kids right now so this story hits home a little more for me, but it's truly a gift to deliver a healthy baby. The odds are seemingly against them to develop and transition into our world. If they make it, then they deal with external factors which can deviate development. As parents you do your best to control those external factors.

This guy was 15 years old. 15. Not 6. He is a hibitual offender in my book because he molested her more than once over a 2 year span and got caught. Had he not been caught, how much more does she endure? How many more other children does he violate. That poor child and the emotional challenges she will face because some darn head wanted to get his demented jollies off. Darn him. And darn his 'paid for his crime per the courts.' The courts are a darning joke these days run by politics and money and available jail space.

He does not deserve a life of privilege when he left a trail of emotional turmoil. It's hard enough for a child to make it into this world, they don't need sick [ "illegitimate Baylor boys" ] like him messing that up. Hope he blows his arm out and never makes it to the league. He's probably a waste of space outside of his ability to play a game.

EDIT baylor boys was a filter.

Brog

I'm currently sitting in NICU on day 4 with my newborn son with no real idea of when we'll be taking him home. Pregnancy was smooth. Zero indication of any issues and then everything changed in a flash after he was born. The morning after he was born he was rushed into NICU and his and our lives will forever be changed.

I'm sleep deprived and hypersensitive to babies and kids right now so this story hits home a little more for me, but it's truly a gift to deliver a healthy baby. The odds are seemingly against them to develop and transition into our world. If they make it, then they deal with external factors which can deviate development. As parents you do your best to control those external factors.

This guy was 15 years old. 15. Not 6. He is a hibitual offender in my book because he molested her more than once over a 2 year span and got caught. Had he not been caught, how much more does she endure? How many more other children does he violate. That poor child and the emotional challenges she will face because some darn head wanted to get his demented jollies off. Darn him. And darn his 'paid for his crime per the courts.' The courts are a darning joke these days run by politics and money and available jail space.

He does not deserve a life of privilege when he left a trail of emotional turmoil. It's hard enough for a child to make it into this world, they don't need sick "illegitimate Baylor boys" like him messing that up. Hope he blows his arm out and never makes it to the league. He's probably a waste of space outside of his ability to play a game.

And Netty, I pray that neither you NOR your newborn EVER does anything that needs punishment and a new start.

Boomhauer

He does not deserve a life of privilege when he left a trail of emotional turmoil. It's hard enough for a child to make it into this world, they don't need sick "illegitimate Baylor boys" like him messing that up. Hope he blows his arm out and never makes it to the league. He's probably a waste of space outside of his ability to play a game.

Hang in there Netty.

netty2424

And Netty, I pray that neither you NOR your newborn EVER does anything that needs punishment and a new start.
So out of all that post, that's how you reply? scheiss you Brog. Dumb [ Finebaum ]. Compassion for a child molester, you might as well be one too.

Brog

So out of all that post, that's how you reply? Art Briles you Brog. Dumb poo poo. Compassion for a child molester, you might as well be one too.

Wow, Netty, I've never been called an Art Briles before. That hurts! I still hope that neither you nor that wonderful newborn you have ever do anything for which you have to be forgiven, and have to start afresh. If you do, you are likely to run into some folk, believe it or not, who don't want to give anyone a second chance. Blessings on you!