• The KillerFrogs

FWST: TCU fans shouldn't allow Big 12 dreams to fool them

FROGDADDY

Obviously, you do not understand.

Be careful what you wish for my friend ... You might just get it.

Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it????????? What exactly might we get? The SAME EXACT THING we've had for the last 15+ years???? We're going to be dealing with UT's BS whether we're in their league or not, going to the BE doesn't make us immune from that. As someone on here pointed out in the last few days, it's true that neither conference is stable, but if you invited every team in the current Big 12 to the BE how many would accept? The answer is ZERO. If you invited every team in the current BE to the Big 12 how many would accept? The answer is likely EVERY ONE OF THEM. If we get invited and don't accept I suggest to all of you that it will be single dumbest thing TCU has ever done. EVER.

FROGDADDY

Well said. I agree 100%.

I do to. Not sure it's completely meaningful, but EVERY former letterman that I know of that posts on here is fully in favor of joining the Big 12. Perhaps there are some I'm unaware of. I'm close to 100% certain that the OVERWHELMING sentiment among our players (past and present), coaches, and recruits is that the Big 12 is a no brainer.

Houston Frog

Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it????????? What exactly might we get? The SAME EXACT THING we've had for the last 15+ years???? We're going to be dealing with UT's BS whether we're in their league or not, going to the BE doesn't make us immune from that. As someone on here pointed out in the last few days, it's true that neither conference is stable, but if you invited every team in the current Big 12 to the BE how many would accept? The answer is ZERO. If you invited every team in the current BE to the Big 12 how many would accept? The answer is likely EVERY ONE OF THEM. If we get invited and don't accept I suggest to all of you that it will be single dumbest thing TCU has ever done. EVER.

Yup

P

PurpleDaze

I don't understand people who want to avoid UT so much that they would rather choose a non-AQ conference in two years from now. There's no way that's the best thing for us, regardless of how slimy the whorns and their minions are. We have to compete on the big stage. Is the fear of the B12 predicated on the assumption that we can't win there? If so, perhaps that is where the divide among our fanbase resides. I think Gary Patterson can win anywhere, especially given a few years of comparable resources? Who doesn't share this sentiment?

Comparable resources? Not until ESPN establishes a HFN and hands us a $15M bonus each year for the next 20 years.

Exactly why do you think Nebraska, A&M and Colorado left and OU, OSU and Missouri want to leave? Do you really think they are just butthurt? They want to bail because they have the foresight to see down the road and know that they will not be able to compete.

Go ahead and thump your chest over CGP, but it's not about that.

RanaCornada

Nobody is picking a non AQ two years from now.

Look, I agree with a lot of Gil's points. And I agree with your sentiment that I would prefer to avoid being in a conference with UT for numerous obvious reasons.

However, I don't see how remaining in the BigEast does not result in a non-AQ outcome. So, we get 2-5 years in the BigEast before the Big12 or some other conference raids what's left. If we turn down the Big12 now, they won't offer it again. No other conference appears to want us at all, so how do we not end up non-AQ two years from now? I'm not trying to call you out (you're one of my favorite posters on this board), but I'm just not following your logic. I would love to tell UT to stick it up their rump, but I just don't think we are in a position to do that.

Our choices at this point are a [ Finebaum ] sandwich (Big12), a stale [ Finebaum ] sandwich (BigEast), and a just a [ Finebaum ] (MWC). Given those choices, I think we have to do Big12. I don't see the path to AQ status through the BigEast anymore. The Longhorns and the Big12 may screw us (I have little doubt they'll try), but I think we screw ourselves by trying to salvage a dead conference we were never really members of.

Some really good points showing the conundrum we are in. What's worse- a "saved" B-12 is a life boat with a untrustworthy captain steering the boat to where they want to go or keep swimming to the beach on our own? Do you risk getting lost at sea or drowning?

Hopefully Mizzou's threats will put enough pressure to get some semblance of stability. Or maybe the BE leftovers show some sort of solidarity and grant media rights to the conference themselves. Going to be interesting. TCU admins have a tough job ahead of them.

Houston Frog

Comparable resources? Not until ESPN establishes a HFN and hands us a $15M bonus each year for the next 20 years.

Exactly why do you think Nebraska, A&M and Colorado left and OU, OSU and Missouri want to leave? Do you really think they are just butthurt? They want to bail because they have the foresight to see down the road and know that they will not be able to compete.

Go ahead and thump your chest over CGP, but it's not about.

Well, we're not gonna have comparable resources with UT no matter what league we're in, so we may as well join the league that gives us the most comparable resources.... that would be the Big XII.

Also, the Big East is a second tier conference in the minds of Texas recruits, the Big XII is not. We have to recruit against UT whether we're in their conference or not, we may as well be on equal footing (conference wise) when we go into those recruits' homes. Otherwise, every recruit we go after is an uphill battle.

Not to mention, our gameday atmosphere is one of the main things that currently holds us back in recruiting, I don't think there's any denying that. No recruit likes going into ACS to watch us play some distant opponent in a 3/4 full stadium. If we're in the Big XII, we'll be playing schools that everyone knows and hates from growing up, schools that all of our buddies went to so we want to beat them even more. When we play those schools, the place will be like the Utah '09 game maybe 4 times a year. Full houses and loud crowds are a HUGE part of what sells a school to a recruit. Sure, they say academics and a family atmosphere, but that's like when girls say they want a smart/funny/sweet guy..... BS, they want a hot guy with a lot of money, and recruits want to play in front of big/rowdy crowds. They want what's "cool"

FROGDADDY

People keep bringing this up, but they conveniently avoid a VERY important fact. A&M left for the best and most stable conference in America in the SEC, and Colorado and Nebraska left for an equally stable Pac 12 with a great TV deal and very good teams. NONE of them left for the freaking Big East. I'm close to 100% certain that all three of those teams would still be in the Big 12 if the Big East had been their only other option.

FROGDADDY

Well, we're not gonna have comparable resources with UT no matter what league we're in, so we may as well join the league that gives us the most comparable resources.... that would be the Big XII.

Also, the Big East is a second tier conference in the minds of Texas recruits, the Big XII is not. We have to recruit against UT whether we're in their conference or not, we may as well be on equal footing (conference wise) when we go into those recruits' homes. Otherwise, every recruit we go after is an uphill battle.

Not to mention, our gameday atmosphere is one of the main things that currently holds us back in recruiting, I don't think there's any denying that. No recruit likes going into ACS to watch us play some distant opponent in a 3/4 full stadium. If we're in the Big XII, we'll be playing schools that everyone knows and hates from growing up, schools that all of our buddies went to so we want to beat them even more. When we play those schools, the place will be like the Utah '09 game maybe 4 times a year. Full houses and loud crowds are a HUGE part of what sells a school to a recruit. Sure, they say academics and a family atmosphere, but that's like when girls say they want a smart/funny/sweet guy..... BS, they want a hot guy with a lot of money, and recruits want to play in front of big/rowdy crowds. They want what's "cool"

I agree completely.

Houston Frog

People keep bringing this up, but they conveniently avoid a VERY important fact. A&M left for the best and most stable conference in America in the SEC, and Colorado and Nebraska left for an equally stable Pac 12 with a great TV deal and very good teams. NONE of them left for the freaking Big East. I'm close to 100% certain that all three of those teams would still be in the Big 12 if the Big East had been their only other option.

Exactly

If our options were the Big XII or the Big 10/SEC, then of course I wouldn't take the Big XII, but those other options aren't on the table.

HFrog1999

However, I don't see how remaining in the BigEast does not result in a non-AQ outcome. So, we get 2-5 years in the BigEast before the Big12 or some other conference raids what's left. If we turn down the Big12 now, they won't offer it again. No other conference appears to want us at all, so how do we not end up non-AQ two years from now?
I just think TCU is more desirable than that. Give us two years in a BCS conference and 2 years of BCS money and a better conference will want us.

PurplePutt

Texas is going to get their money and their recruits whether TCU is in the Big 12 or not. The question is: can TCU get stronger, have more money, have a higher national/regional profile, and have better recruiting if they are in the Big 12? Would those improvements be better than in the BE?

I think the answer to that is yes. I would rather not have to be in a niche.

Big Frog II

I think this is an article about not holding your breath for a Big 12 invite, and we might as well make the Big East the best league we can. TCU would not turn down the opportunity to join the Big 12, but as long as Texas sees us as a threat to their kingdom we probably will not get one.

Who finds it ironic that Kelsey Patterson worked for DeLoss Dodds?

jack the frog

I hate Texas as much as anyone but it's a No Brainer imo. The only scenario I would ever see Del Conte rejecting the bid would be if he had a very likely PAC or SEC card up the sleeve and could not afford to sign away our TV rights or get in a contract with baylor.
I could even envision a pretty stable 12 variation with Texas leaving, and with or without OU as the conference linchpin. A basic old school SWC set-up with Air Force, maybe BYU, Louisville and WV added. It could very well maintain BCS status because the Beast is likely a dead duck. The OU folks seem to prefer football over gold and might enjoy being top dog for a change.

UT has never played fair.
Back in the day before scholarship limitations they stockpiled players.
Read Meat on the Hoof.
They already have more money than Gawd.
They will find ways to mine gold from the LHN that most have not thought possible.
They will use this money to buy coaches and players.
They will use this money for every advantage for themselves and at the same time
create disadvantages for their competitors.

The NCAA is powerless to administer any fairness in college athletics.
The Big 12 or whatever it is going to be need to man-up.
They have the power. Stand up to Texas. And if Texas walks. Let them.
The day will come when even the Texas Legislature won't save Tech from the greed and power hungry demon that is UT.

Cockroaches are just messing things up cause that is what they do.
UT is worse because they are choosing to mess-over everybody.

You think the network NOW gives them the money to buy coaches. If money bought our assistants they'd already be there. So let's go to the BE and take even less $ in case UT wants to buy our coaches. With this kind of thinking you should be in Washington instead of this silly board.

RanaCornada

I just think TCU is more desirable than that. Give us two years in a BCS conference and 2 years of BCS money and a better conference will want us.

Fair enough. I guess I just lack your faith.

TCU has never been more attractive as a BCS conference candidate than right now. I don't think we necessarily will be more so after 2 years in the BigEast. If we go in and dominate, then perhaps, but we will still be fighting the "weak conference" label. If we go in and drop a few games, then our critics will say we were never cut out for it.

So we never have been, and might never be again, so attractive to BCS conferences ... and yet where are the offers? Like you, I think we would be a tremendous addition to any conference, but they clearly don't feel the same way. I don't think the PAC, SEC, or ACC chatter was ever that substantive, and even the Big12 is divided over our inclusion as we speak. I honestly don't understand why this is the case, but it appears to be so.

If no BCS conference wants us now, why would they in 2 years? Just because we collected a couple of large checks? A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush ... even if it's a big stinky bird with horns.

Dogfrog

I do to. Not sure it's completely meaningful, but EVERY former letterman that I know of that posts on here is fully in favor of joining the Big 12. Perhaps there are some I'm unaware of. I'm close to 100% certain that the OVERWHELMING sentiment among our players (past and present), coaches, and recruits is that the Big 12 is a no brainer.

That's because lettermen, especially from the SWC era are thinking with their emotions on this subject. I'm somewhat interested in their opinion, but I certainly wouldn't want the ex lettermen to decide the future of our athletic program. And I am not as certain as you are that every Big East school are dying to join the dying Big 12 either. As a matter of fact, I bet that the way things unfolded, Syr and Pitt aren't as certain about their decision as they were last week. I just think that this position that declares those who disagree as brainless are based on heart vs. brain. Or apparently Lebreton is brainless as well.

HFrog1999

I have faith in our leadership at TCU. I am on board with whatever they do. We have some really smart guys in charge. I strongly disagree with those that say we HAVE to accept a bid to bevo if offered. TCU has choices. They will make the best one.

PurplePutt

Our program has got better because our recruiting is better. Our recruiting is better because of the success on the field, the numbers we are putting in the NFL, the great school atmosphere, and better facilities, and I contend (the biggest reason of all), hope that we will be in a BCS conference that gives us more money and a better shot at national prominance and a title shot.

I am afraid going to an uncertain and crumbling BE will change all of that. We have 5 four star recurits this year. I want to keep them. We go to the B12 and we add more.