• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Backups are pushing TCU linebackers for playing time

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
FWST: Backups are pushing TCU linebackers for playing time

By Stefan Stevenson
sstevenson@star-telegram.com

Tank Carder is about the biggest lock to start as there is on the TCU football team.

And the preseason Mountain West Conference Defensive Player of the Year will likely be in that familiar position at strongside linebacker when the Frogs meet Baylor on Sept. 2 in Waco.

But Frogs coach Gary Patterson is so high on the play of his second-team linebackers, especially Kenny Cain, through the first five practices that he threw down a little reminder to Carder on Tuesday, after the Frogs first full-pad practice.

"Both No. 2s are pushing the No. 1s to start," Patterson said of the junior Cain and senior Kris Gardner. "Cain is having the best camp of anybody right now. If I had to start somebody tomorrow it would be Kenny Cain over Tank Carder. He makes plays. He's losing 10 pounds of water weight every day and playing all day. He's ready to go." ...

Screaming Flea

You don't have to motivate Tank so Kenny must be doing something near 95%. No doubt, TCU is turning into linebacker University.
Lord if I wanted to pay linebacker with the ultimate goal of playing in the NFL, I'd surely give TCU STRONG consideration. Gary's system works at the college level and appears to be accepted at the Pro level too!

Overall its worth considering that Gary is dang near gitty with excitement. Don't you get that feeling too?

neo926

I hope Cain turns out to be one of those guys like Daryl Washington, stuck behind Henson and Philips despite being perfectly capable of starting. Hopefully that means when he does end up starting next year he can be a monster.

SnoSki

Glad to see that Casey is having a good camp. I keep hearing how solid he and our WRs are that I almost forget that we have a good RB crew as well.

I think this team will surprise many who expect us to take a big step back.

davejerg1221

The more I read these reports from practice, the more optimistic I am about this team. Outside of the O-Line, it sounds like we have a lot of depth.

jake102

[quote name='Cory Rodger's roster bonus' timestamp='1312984809' post='888073']
The more I read these reports from practice, the more optimistic I am about this team. Outside of the O-Line, it sounds like we have a lot of depth.
[/quote]

Sounds like there is no depth at QB. The starter sounds very strong, but the backups are leaving something to be desired.

DannyAdelante

I was very impressed with Cain last season when he used to come in at the end of games. I liked him, Cuba, Pachall and Waymon James. You don't get better by graduating Tank Carder, but I don't think Cain and Brock will be too much of a drop off from Carder and Brock next year in the Big East.

davejerg1221

Sounds like there is no depth at QB. The starter sounds very strong, but the backups are leaving something to be desired.

I guess I should have implied that. You take the starting QB away from every team in the country, and 90% of them are F'd. We all know Casey has wheels. Hopefully he learns to get down as well as Dalton did. I always thought that was one of Dalton's best attributes; getting what he could, then getting down safely. Outside of a couple blindside blitzes, specifically in the Fiesta Bowl, Dalton hardly ever took big shots.

JugbandFrog

Glad to see that Casey is having a good camp. I keep hearing how solid he and our WRs are that I almost forget that we have a good RB crew as well.

I think this team will surprise many who expect us to take a big step back.
I am telling you man,I have this feeling that we are not just reloading, we are getting a way bigger gun.

FROGDADDY

If I had to start somebody tomorrow it would be Kenny Cain over Tank Carder.

GP says some interesting stuff but this is borderline dumb. No disrespect to Kenny Cain but unless Tank Carder gets hurt or quits there is a 100% chance he's on the field for the first defensive snap the year.

Gunner

Think this defense is so dang fast, Baylor will be overwhelmed, just like last year. We are fast everywhere.

Our only weakness is slow development of the backup QB's...

jake102

GP says some interesting stuff but this is borderline dumb. No disrespect to Kenny Cain but unless Tank Carder gets hurt or quits there is a 100% chance he's on the field for the first defensive snap the year.

Tank probably thought it was hilarious. He's been around Patterson long enough.