• The KillerFrogs

Solution to TCU's Basketball problem

PurplePutt

I find it amazing that TCU could raise 100+ million dollars for a new football stadium in short order. As a result of the schools commitment to the football program and to Coach Patterson, TCU has transformed a miserable cellar dweller into a perennial top 10 program. The result of all of this is a membership not only in a BCS conference but in probably the top basketball conference in the nation.

Is it out of the question to raise enough money to make an offer that cannot be refused to the right basketball coacht? One that can take this program to the level required to compete for a championship in the BE? Is there not a coach out there, not unlike GP, who thinks the most prestigious thing a coach could do is take a cellar dweller program and make it a year in and year out contender for conference and national championships (and get rich at the same time)?

Time to find the right guy, pay what it requires, and support him like we have GP!

How much is an offer that cannot be refused these days?

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
I find it amazing that TCU could raise 100+ million dollars for a new football stadium in short order. As a result of the schools commitment to the football program and to Coach Patterson, TCU has transformed a miserable cellar dweller into a perennial top 10 program. The result of all of this is a membership not only in a BCS conference but in probably the top basketball conference in the nation.

Is it out of the question to raise enough money to make an offer that cannot be refused to the right basketball coacht? One that can take this program to the level required to compete for a championship in the BE? Is there not a coach out there, not unlike GP, who thinks the most prestigious thing a coach could do is take a cellar dweller program and make it a year in and year out contender for conference and national championships (and get rich at the same time)?

Time to find the right guy, pay what it requires, and support him like we have GP!

Jim Christian will be our coach next season so we had best find ways to support him.

I know this season is eating at him, it has to be, and he seemed to be headed in the right direction after the first two years. For whatever reason the wheels have come off this team in mid season and thats a puzzle to me. I saw this happen before when Abe Lemmons was the coach at UT. They were something like 14-0 and then they lose Mike Wacker for the season. The wheels came off that team and I think they finished 14-14. It wasn't because Lemmons had suddenly lost his ability to coach and TCU's decay, this season, doesn't mean that Christian has suddenly lost it.

I am going to support him and hope that others will too.

PurplePutt

Jim Christian will be our coach next season so we had best find ways to support him.

I know this season is eating at him, it has to be, and he seemed to be headed in the right direction after the first two years. For whatever reason the wheels have come off this team in mid season and thats a puzzle to me. I saw this happen before when Abe Lemmons was the coach at UT. They were something like 14-0 and then they lose Mike Wacker for the season. The wheels came off that team and I think they finished 14-14. It wasn't because Lemmons had suddenly lost his ability to coach and TCU's decay, this season, doesn't mean that Christian has suddenly lost it.

I just don't think he is the guy and I don't think it is his fault. I'll be the first to admit that I don't know crap about basketball but I do think TCU needs to do something bold and that is going out and landing a nationally recognized coach who would commit to a long term deal which included a commitment from the school and alumni to turn this ship around. Coach Christian is a great guy and probably a great coach who is in the wrong place at the wrong time.

freebird

I remember. UT should have gone all the way to the finals that year. Really tough break for the Wackman.
But we haven't lost anyone. That I know of? What's up with Tuffy?
Did see re-occurring team chemistry issues brewing again early and feared things blowing up.
There were signs. We talked about it here to some measure earlier.

Sometimes as a coach or leader things just don't fall into place they way you had planned regardless of your intent or best personal efforts. Chit happens.
As a long time BB junkie. I just don't think there is any excuses for that performance tonight.
If we had to affix blame I would have to say that tonight the players didn't give it a good effort.
Can't say I ever watched a worse TCU BB game.

Your a good wing man.
wink.gif

West Coast Johnny

Its Christian's third year. It shouldn't be this bad. His first recruiting class should be upper classmen. I'm not sure he should be the coach next year.

Since we soon will be playing basketball in the Big East conference...

It will be interesting to see if his next recruiting class shows ANY improvement...

I have HIGH hope but LOW expectation...

HToady

Take heart. Auburn's basketball team is just as bad as ours!

I guess good football accompanied by good basketball can't happen....

Plus they have a brand new facility.

froggolf65

We need to bring someone in and tell them they have about 8 years to get things turned around. When you are constantly trying to fill in JUCO guys and patch a lineup together for the next year it hurts a few years down the road. Guys on the team know Christian can't bench them so they can do whatever they want. Get a coach in there who can sacrifice a year or two and get things turned around. TCU has so much going in the right direction that we should be able to get some really talented basketball players on campus.

okra tex

my opinion only and surely can be shot with holes by those with more insight -

generally difficiencies in a basketball team's performance are more apparent than those with a football team because there are only 5 bb players and 22 fb players (not including special teams).

BB players account for 20% of the play on the court - FB players account for 4.5% of the play on the field (or 9% at one time).

So poor individual performance or a poor player in BB is much more impactful on the team than the same with a FB player. On the flip side, one great performance or great player can be much more impactful on a BB team than one on a FB team.

For whatever reason, our BB team just ain't right this season; probably more a reflection of the talent than the coach. I would continue to support the coach and reevaluate when his contract is up.

HToady

Ha. Oregon's team sucks too!

The top three football schools are either in last place or next to last place in their respective conferences in basketball!

Must be like oil and water...these two sports

Portland Frog

Take heart. Auburn's basketball team is just as bad as ours!

I guess good football accompanied by good basketball can't happen....

Plus they have a brand new facility.

This is what concerns me. We just assume the frogs will get better players because they are moving to a better conference. Maybe, maybe not. Maybe the best talent in DFW doesn't want to be involved in a rebuilding project with the current staff.

mcdaddy

But this wasn't our road map for success at football. Wins came before dollars. And I think it would be wrong to put dollars before wins in the basketball program. At the least, it would be a poor use of financial resources.

LVfrog

We aren't going to let CJC go, mainly, due to money. I get the feeling they don't think there is anyone out there that can do a better job right now. I would not be surprised if CJC gets an extension, albeit a small one.