• The KillerFrogs

Love and respect GP but

Ohiofrog

did he really have to complain about Hightower scoring a touch down ? He is a 5th year senior fullback that has only carried the ball one other time. I get it, this was an FCS opponent and the win means nothing. I get it, Watson Brown is is friend and he did not want to hang 60 on his team. However, if he was that worried about it, he should have taken Dalton and company out in the third quarter. It would have been much better for the young guys to play ealier in the game when passing was still an option...I get it too that the first team probably needed the practice. Its not our falt that our tallent level is at a point that even when they know we are going to run the ball with our back ups in that we are still unstoppable against an FCS team. Congrats to Hightower, the team and all of the young guys that got their first taste. Im glad there were no significant injuries on either side, now lets get back to work. Patterson is correct that this win does not mean much, thats why I hate these FCS games.

AEAfrog

I don't think it was a complaint so much as conveying that he didn't want to run up the score. Patterson is a classy guy. He was just showing respect for Tennessee Tech.

FeistyFrog

Sir FeistyFrog
Why did he play AD and most of the first team well into the game if he didn't want to run up the score?

Personally felt CGP didn't have a good grasp on what to do with this game and he needs to reel back some on his comments.

hornedfrog17

After all of the weird upsets the past two weeks, I don't think anybody can fault making sure you have a comfortable lead before taking your foot off the gas.

Uh...4 touchdowns not comfortable enough for you? No reason to still have Andy taking hits in the middle to late third.

PurpleHills

I don't think it was a complaint so much as conveying that he didn't want to run up the score. Patterson is a classy guy. He was just showing respect for Tennessee Tech.

That's how I took it, but I was a bit surprised that the first stringers played in the third. If running up the score is that big of an issue then let's see how the seconds do under fire when the game isn't so far out of reach.

PH
He's the coach, me just an old guy in the hinder-land

Deep Purple

Ones playing in third quarter = dumb.
Actually, I thought it was more merciful to TenTech to leave the starters in. With a 42-point lead, they were pretty complacent. Then Patterson pulls them after the 3rd and puts in the reserves, who are all playing lights-out because they have something to prove if they want to crack the starting roster next year. They scored two TDs pretty easily. Plus, they were fresh and the TenTech players were pretty gassed after three hot, muggy quarters.

PurpleHills

Actually, I thought it was more merciful to TenTech to leave the starters in. With a 42-point lead, they were pretty complacent. Then Patterson pulls them after the 3rd and puts in the reserves, who are all playing lights-out because they have something to prove if they want to crack the starting roster next year. They scored two TDs pretty easily. Plus, they were fresh and the TenTech players were pretty gassed after three hot, muggy quarters.

Listening on the "radio" you could tell that the bench has been turned loose on TTU, and they were ready for the showers. Heck any way you go it's a mass-a-cree. I understand Gary not wanting to embarrass them, but since you can't call the game off we sure don't want to leave the 1's in too long. Just think of the outrage if AD or EW got knocked out for the year on some nickel and dime play in mop up time.

PH
Long time no see Deep, you doing OK?

hornedfrog17

It's not about being merciful...it's about protecting our record setting quarterback from a silly, unnecessary injury when we obviously had the game under control. Andy stayed in until we were up by 6 touchdowns. There would be a lot of pissy people on this board if Andy had sustained an injury late in the third.

jeremyjack22

I love that Mack just had to punch that one last TD in against Wyoming with 1 minute left. Could have easily taken a knee, but had to give the UT fans something to gloat about

AEAfrog

Uh...4 touchdowns not comfortable enough for you? No reason to still have Andy taking hits in the middle to late third.

In the fourth, yes. In the third, debateable. In any event, no harm in the ones having the opportunity to get into a better flow on offense. We haven't exactly been flawless thus far.

Frogs97

I may be in the minority here, but I understood why the ones were stil in. The offense still isn't lookong sharp. AD and the receivers needed the reps to try and start clicking.

neo926

I thought after a pretty lackluster second quarter by the offense that it made a lot of sense to keep the first team in for the third quarter to let them get into a rhythm so that the game isn't a total waste. They got their act together on that last drive in the third quarter, and the backups came in after that.

ACroofrog

Yeah I was hoping to see more of the reserves earlier in the game that being said I agree the 1st team Offense needed that third quarter to work out some kinks they definatly were a little off most of the game.

hornedfrog17

I may be in the minority here, but I understood why the ones were stil in. The offense still isn't lookong sharp. AD and the receivers needed the reps to try and start clicking.
No apparently you're the majority. I appear to be the minority in thinking it would suck to watch our season go down the toilet with an injury during a game that is well at hand. If anyone thinks it's debatable that we were dominating by the third, you're just being silly. Was it pretty? No. Were we still absolutely controlling the action against a severely undermanned team? Absolutely. I'll take my reps in practice this week when Andy's got a red jersey on, thanks very much. That's just me.