• The KillerFrogs

OT - Movies thread

tcudoc

I watched The Holdovers with Paul Giamatti because that is what my wife found. It was a pseudo Christmas movie in that it was aset around the Christmas break at a private school. Overall, I think it was a well done movie with a more dour and melancholy Dead Poet Society feel to it. I think Paul Giamatti is an underrated actor. A bit of an unfortunate looking character that always brings his A game to whatever role he plays. He occasionally gets some lead roles, but mostly is a supporting actor. I put him in the same class as the late Brian Dennehy. Rarely a star, but always makes the movie better when he was in it.

Last edited:

tcudoc

I also saw Wonka at the theater. I was less impressed than others on here. It was not bad, but it was definitely a musical. I did not hear any songs that made me say, this song is really memorable. It was more of a "Hey, let's set what we are doing to music and describe it in the lyrics." The actors were good and talented, but I never really was sold on them as someone to root for.
Hugh Grant as an oompa loompa (sp?) was a bit of a leap (I am a Hugh Grant fan). There are very few roles that little people are able to do and the woke people have determined that we are offending them if we cast them as dwarves, elves, oompa loompas, etc. If I was a little person, I would be pretty pissed off at the recent treatment by Hollywood (with the exception of Peter Dinklage).
For me to like a musical, it needs to have really good songs that are memorable. The original Willy Wonka had that. The Sound of Music had that. Wicked has that. Some would say Hamilton has that (I may disagree). So, for me to enjoy a musical, they better bring some memorable music if that is going to be the basis of the movie. Wonka does not fail at it, but it also does not get anywhere near the realm where I would want to see it again.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
I watched The Leftovers with Paul Giamatti because that is what my wife found. It was a pseudo Christmas movie in that it was aset around the Christmas break at a private school. Overall, I think it was a well done movie with a more dour and melancholy Dead Poet Society feel to it. I think Paul Giamatti is an underrated actor. A bit of an unfortunate looking character that always brings his A game to whatever role he plays. He occasionally gets some lead roles, but mostly is a supporting actor. I put him in the same class as the late Brian Dennehy. Rarely a star, but always makes the movie better when he was in it.
He was in a film called Ironclad, playing King John following the signing of Magna Carta. Probably his most over-the-top role, and full of scene-chewing goodness.

Prince of Purpoole II

Reigning Smartarse
I also saw Wonka at the theater. I was less impressed than others on here. It was not bad, but it was definitely a musical. I did not hear any songs that made me say, this song is really memorable. It was more of a "Hey, let's set what we are doing to music and describe it in the lyrics." The actors were good and talented, but I never really was sold on them as someone to root for.
Hugh Grant as an oompa loompa (sp?) was a bit of a leap (I am a Hugh Grant fan). There are very few roles that little people are able to do and the woke people have determined that we are offending them if we cast them as dwarves, elves, oompa loompas, etc. If I was a little person, I would be pretty pissed off at the recent treatment by Hollywood (with the exception of Peter Dinklage).
For me to like a musical, it needs to have really good songs that are memorable. The original Willy Wonka had that. The Sound of Music had that. Wicked has that. Some would say Hamilton has that (I may disagree). So, for me to enjoy a musical, they better bring some memorable music if that is going to be the basis of the movie. Wonka does not fail at it, but it also does not get anywhere near the realm where I would want to see it again.
As I’ve said elsewhere, movie musicals just don’t work for me except for a very few exceptions. That said, once I reconciled myself to the fact that I was at a movie musical I thought the thing was watchable. I didn’t love it but I didn’t think I had wasted my time. Give it a B-

I’m with you on seeing it again…

tcudoc

As I’ve said elsewhere, movie musicals just don’t work for me except for a very few exceptions. That said, once I reconciled myself to the fact that I was at a movie musical I thought the thing was watchable. I didn’t love it but I didn’t think I had wasted my time. Give it a B-

I’m with you on seeing it again…
I think I could agree on a B-
That is right around where I would put it. I did not dislike it. I just think it was average and the music was not worth making it a musical. I rewatched Spirited with Will Ferrell and Ryan Reynolds. Also a musical. The songs seemed more memorable and the choreography was top notch (according to my daughters). Overall, well done, IMHO. Neither Reynolds or Ferrell are great singers, but they did alright and their comedy made up for it.

Last edited:

JugbandFrog

Older show but just found it on Prime earlier today. The Night Manager is really good. Tom Hiddleston and Hugh Laurie. Only one season with six episodes, though.
I went to my Amazon Prime and it shows me as having watched it, but I don’t remember watching it, and now that I’m watching it, I remember none of this! Doh!

Prince of Purpoole II

Reigning Smartarse
I watched The Leftovers with Paul Giamatti because that is what my wife found. It was a pseudo Christmas movie in that it was aset around the Christmas break at a private school. Overall, I think it was a well done movie with a more dour and melancholy Dead Poet Society feel to it. I think Paul Giamatti is an underrated actor. A bit of an unfortunate looking character that always brings his A game to whatever role he plays. He occasionally gets some lead roles, but mostly is a supporting actor. I put him in the same class as the late Brian Dennehy. Rarely a star, but always makes the movie better when he was in it.
Giamatti did very good work in this one

Last edited:

Chongo94

I WILL FIGHT EACH AND EVERY ONE OF YOU OVER MEG 2!

That was a cinematic masterpiece and the only thing that was capable of making me feel better after TCU’s ridiculous performance against KState.

I WILL FIGHT YOU AND YOUR KIDS AND WIVES AND GRANDMOTHERS!

Stop It Bruce Lee GIF

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Saw Poor Things, weird movie about woman that tried to commit suicide, reborn by mad scientist that gave her unborn daughter‘s brain. Follows her growing into it. Would have been much more palatable with Jennifer Lawrence than Emma Stone with all the nudity…

Last edited: