• The KillerFrogs

TCU Construction Updates

There are exquisitly beautiful Brutalist buildings, Fort Worth’s own Kimbell Art Museum by Louis Kahn as an excellent example.
I will guess that the Sid Richardson science building on campus is Brutalist. Regarding college campuses I prefer uniform old-school stone beauty like the University of Chicago, but if not that then architectural variety if done well is interesting, like Sid Richardson, maybe, haha, though I wish it had more windows for views and natural light. One gets the feeling Sid is built strong, befitting its brutalist design, and its lobby and stairwells are luxurious.

Last edited:

tyler durden

Tyler Durden
No doubt there is a lot of stigma and negative connotations with the term brutalism. But there can beautiful and awful buildings in any style. Some could call the Kimbell or Tadao Ando’s gorgeous Modern Art Museum two big piles of concrete, but I think they are both incredible structures.

Frawg

fair enough, for our situation both my wife and i cook, our kids cooks as well, and none of us are a huge fan of paying way too much money for meals we can do ourselves and spend the time together
We tend to spend more on accommodations and love hitting local epicurean spots anpicking up local proteins/ingredients and enjoying a family night or two or three… in our home away from home. Makes it easier to splurge on the touristy stuff, a nicer bottle of wine at dinner out, souvenirs…

ShadowFrog

Moderators
Impressive, I did not know. Is there gonna be a cinder-block wall built around that aluminum & sheet metal piece of graduate student “art” work on the corner across from Harris nursing?

Views of the construction of the East Campus Dining and Residence Halls

AYHGdrc.jpg

JyaYpPI.jpg

yIwjyEY.jpg

Ck0QFui.jpg

DgNLZJD.jpg

ShadowFrog

Moderators
Imma get roasted for this, but one of the finest looking campuses in the country ... but for one bldg.: SidRich. Thinkkkkk abt how much real estate that sucker sits on and what it could become if:

Boom.png
Sid Rich is a legend. Could count the # of entry/exit doors every day & come up with a different # every time, diabolical staircases, sub-optimal Brick jumping off points, top-secret hidden bathrooms, half-imbedded missile silos, dark & drafty basement hallways, the ONE lonely Dr Pepper machine, the time tunnel connections to Winton Scott that span 3 generations. I could go on. I think we’re still missing a classmate from my fresh year ‘77, still in there somewhere…..