• The KillerFrogs

Big 12 in position to poach Pac 12 schools?

froginmn

Some who seem to be in the know say that Fox has greatly changed their stance this. It seems they are now on board with giving the full pro-rata to 4 new teams to match what ESPN has said they will do. Or at the very least they've signed off on full pro-rata for Col/Ariz/ASU/Utah.
I don't know if this is a naive take but it seems like it's long been felt that the end game is four large conferences. If this really is the death knell for the PAC, doesn't that mean that the four others are "made" conferences? At that point it becomes divvying up the remains and jockeying for the big names. As the westernmost conference it also feels like we're in the best position for schools that value geographical fit.

Seems like all of the other remaining PAC schools (OSU, WSU, Cal, Stanford) need to try to pick a conference (B1G or Big 12) if anyone wants them or decide to go indy, join the MWC, etc.

Hemingway

I think FSU has a reasonably articulate claim of fraudulent inducement (enough to lower the buyout by a significant factor - if even as nuisance relief for the ACC).

I do not see this being litigious. Somewhere, someone likely said/promised something that the remaining members can hang their hat on as well, if dragged through the courts.

@Gary's Shirtless Revenge can correct me on any/all, but looking more and more like BIG, Big 12 and SEC going forward 2025+ at this point, if FSU wiggles out (eg. the "Premiere ~60" if you will.)
Parol Evidence Rule is not their friend.

Zubaz

yes, so they can claim to be a p5 school
Yeah, if this all goes down, the Pac will be roughly where the Big East was in 2013, where they will still have that big conference name and the short-term benefits that come with having that history (particularly the Rose Bowl bid and whatever this media deal ends up being), but everyone will know that it's not the same conference from ten years prior.

82 Frog Fever

Hahaha. That they were defrauded out of their rights ? Gmab. This is the dumbest strategy ever. And not to mention that with Duke, UVA , Wake, UNC , etc they will have adequate representation to fend this off. This will not work.
I hope you’re right, as I’m reading even more stuff that says the two parties may be ready to settle for $300m at $30m over 10 years.
If this is a hoax, I hope it ends quickly.

Idk why the ACC would do that, as it sounds risky & moronic, but there’s a bunch of media types that think it’s happening.

I sure hope not, it could start a huge crap storm the B12 isn’t ready for.
It’s going to be hard enough to integrate 8 new teams.

McFroggin

Yeah, if this all goes down, the Pac will be roughly where the Big East was in 2013, where they will still have that big conference name and the short-term benefits that come with having that history (particularly the Rose Bowl bid and whatever this media deal ends up being), but everyone will know that it's not the same conference from ten years prior.

I believe the Rose bowl contract would be over by the time a new team can join. The Rose Bowl will move to a different conference.

The PAC will no longer be P5.

Zubaz

I believe the Rose bowl contract would be over by the time a new team can join. The Rose Bowl will move to a different conference.

The PAC will no longer be P5.
I thought the Rose Bowl had the Pac until 2026 so there's be a year of overlap, but I forgot that the Rose Bowl would be a part of the new revamped playoff quarterfinals / semifinals model which won't have conference auto bids. So yeah, that'd be gone.

Longhorn from Aledo

I hope you’re right, as I’m reading even more stuff that says the two parties may be ready to settle for $300m at $30m over 10 years.

Idk why the ACC would do that, as it sounds risky & moronic, but there’s a bunch of media types that think it’s happening.

This crap is puke worthy coming out of the ACC. My question is, does this go to 48 or stay around 60 teams? There isn't enough money to go around.

froginmn

I thought the Rose Bowl had the Pac until 2026 so there's be a year of overlap, but I forgot that the Rose Bowl would be a part of the new revamped playoff quarterfinals / semifinals model which won't have conference auto bids. So yeah, that'd be gone.
Yep, gone after this year.

Hemingway

Sir and et al, if I’m the ACC legal team I know I’ve got home court, the initial petition could take maybe 3-5 years, full battery of discovery, fsu is full of it, and an appeals process that will take years, oh and a client that has the ability to “fill the tank” forever. Why on earth would I settle this immediately, when I’ve got these advantages?
This GOR MIGHT BE MOSTLY OVER before a settlement is entered or the petition is defeated.

@Sweat Equity

Limey Frog

Exactly. If it's going to happen (which seems inevitable), we need this stuff to happen in 5-ish years, not now.

Deep Purple

Only if preceded by Nik Nak.
Trash Black Excellence GIF by For(bes) The Culture