• The KillerFrogs

Zona to Big 12 heating up

allclearforfrogs

AZ leaving really rips the rug out from under ORE. However much they hate it, the PAC is coughing up blood and won't last past Tuesday. The B1G isn't taking them, as they are transfixed by the possibility of ND joining. ORE has no options other than the B12.

That leaves 2 more spots. UU? WSH? I couldn't care less about Stanford or Cal, but my thought is that the selections will be strongly influenced by who the Networks want. After all, they're the ones paying the bills...
Love it.

CountryFrog

No, 16 is the real number if the mix is right.
14 is an urgency figure for the PAC.
We need 3 out 4 from UA, Wash, Ore, or UU to go to 16.

The B1G has also re-entered discussions with Wash, Ore, Stanford, & Cal, as they are concerned this may be their best/only opportunity to get travel partners for USC /UCLA. Most discussion is with Wash & Stanford.
There's absolutely no way the Big Ten is adding Stanford and Cal. They may well be talking because conferences talk in various ways to many schools all the time. If they really wanted those schools then they'd already have them.

And even if they did want those 2 schools, what would the urgency be? Grab them before the Mountain West reaches out? No P5 conference is going to try to add either of them because they not only bring no value, they bring negative value.

82 Frog Fever

One other reason: Bay Area likely has 10X more Big 10 alumni eager to see their alma mater come to town than in the entire state of Oregon.
There are 5.7m living B10 alumni and 850k live in Cali. Nearly 1/2 or 400k live in the Bay Area. That’s roughly about 5% of the Bay Area population.
Considering the distance, that’s fairly B1G if they‘re all watching, but quite small on a per team basis.

82 Frog Fever

I could see Stanford going to BIG if ND asked for them to come along. But otherwise, nah.
Yes! ND, Stanford, Oregon, & Wash solves the B1G wish list.
1) ND in the B1G
2) O&W bring additional strength and stability
3) Stanford supplies a close travel partner for USC/UCLA
4) Stanford continues the 34 year ND rivalry

That puts the B1G at 20 teams with 4 five team pods and 1 of those pods on the west coast.

The Bad Guy

Yes! ND, Stanford, Oregon, & Wash solves the B1G wish list.
1) ND in the B1G
2) O&W bring additional strength and stability
3) Stanford supplies a close travel partner for USC/UCLA
4) Stanford continues the 34 year ND rivalry

That puts the B1G at 20 teams with 4 five team pods and 1 of those pods on the west coast.
Makes a lot of sense honestly. Just as long as Big 12 gets AZ, ASU, and Utah.

82 Frog Fever

There's absolutely no way the Big Ten is adding Stanford and Cal. They may well be talking because conferences talk in various ways to many schools all the time. If they really wanted those schools then they'd already have them.

And even if they did want those 2 schools, what would the urgency be? Grab them before the Mountain West reaches out? No P5 conference is going to try to add either of them because they not only bring no value, they bring negative value.
The urgency with Stanford is trying to coax ND to join the B1G, which is there #1 goal by far. There is a 34 year rivalry that ND would like to keep.

The urgency with Wash/Ore is obvious. If they join the B12, it will cost hundreds of millions to get them out again. Yormark now has all potential adds on a clocked deadline, so he can gauge numbers in a certain pecking order.
Right now is the only time the B1G can get them at fire sale prices.

Those 4 teams give the B1G 20 teams coast to coast in 4 five team pods with 1 pod on the west coast, which is exactly what they are looking for.

Last edited:

82 Frog Fever

Makes a lot of sense honestly. Just as long as Big 12 gets AZ, ASU, and Utah.
I believe they get UA, but if O&W say yes; then ASU & UU are likely out for good.
I don’t see them going to 18 teams, and I’m pretty sure I heard they only have clearance for 4 teams prorata.
I wish it was different, as I really like ASU & UU (fans, not so much)

Endless Purple

Problem here is that most seem to be using the same criteria for all conferences as to a schools value.

Have to remember the Big 10 is an athletic conference but it is also academic. They even renamed the CIC to the Big 10 Academic Alliance to show that connection. No other conference has this type of alliance thus the criteria is likely different for choosing schools. The athletic media contract is a billion a year, while the academic alliance deals with 10 billion a year.

Also consider the impact of having their own channels. Both the Big 10 and SEC have them, the PAC and Big 12 do not, thus differences in criteria.

Stanford fits the Big 10 in every way based upon their past expansion targets. Cal too, but I think Stanford has the edge with athletics and some rivalries. The Big 10 has been going for large markets with Los Angeles, New York, and DC. Partially for the network, but also alumni, future growth potential, and other factors.

Washington, Stanford, Utah, Cal all fit their pattern. Oregon does not. It most resembles Nebraska which the Big 10 may be having regrets over.

I think ORegon is waiting for the Big 10, but that call will not come. I think Oregon should jump at the Big 12 if they can get past their ego. Arizona and Oregon would be a good fit.

Hemingway

Problem here is that most seem to be using the same criteria for all conferences as to a schools value.

Have to remember the Big 10 is an athletic conference but it is also academic. They even renamed the CIC to the Big 10 Academic Alliance to show that connection. No other conference has this type of alliance thus the criteria is likely different for choosing schools. The athletic media contract is a billion a year, while the academic alliance deals with 10 billion a year.

Also consider the impact of having their own channels. Both the Big 10 and SEC have them, the PAC and Big 12 do not, thus differences in criteria.

Stanford fits the Big 10 in every way based upon their past expansion targets. Cal too, but I think Stanford has the edge with athletics and some rivalries. The Big 10 has been going for large markets with Los Angeles, New York, and DC. Partially for the network, but also alumni, future growth potential, and other factors.

Washington, Stanford, Utah, Cal all fit their pattern. Oregon does not. It most resembles Nebraska which the Big 10 may be having regrets over.

I think ORegon is waiting for the Big 10, but that call will not come. I think Oregon should jump at the Big 12 if they can get past their ego. Arizona and Oregon would be a good fit.
Watching Oregon and Utah in this, is like watching Owen Wilson and Sudeikis in Hall Pass. They thought they’d be in the 10 like Flynn