• The KillerFrogs

OT - Movies thread

Creeperfrog

New Dracula flick…

The nick cage movie is going to make a lot more money than this, but it does look good. Everyone wants to see the crazy Nicholas Cage vampire (cue the "Community" episode where Abed tries to figure out if Cage is a good or bad actor, just like he did trying to figure out who's the the boss, on "Whos the boss". Spoiler, he figures out who the boss is and blows the professor's mind, but still no decision on Cage as he acts out a lot of his movies and is just bewildered.)

HFrog1999

Thor L&T is one of the worst movies I’ve ever seen

hated it damon wayans GIF

Ron Swanson

“After Life” on Netflix is good. Ricky Gervais stars in and directs it. Think he wrote it too.

It’s funny, emotional, heartwarming, depressing, etc…

Well done show about a middle-aged man struggling with the loss of his wife to cancer.

Eight

“After Life” on Netflix is good. Ricky Gervais stars in and directs it. Think he wrote it too.

Well done show about a middle-aged man struggling with the loss of his wife to cancer.

good call and if you can find the interviews with gervais talking about how people would come up to him and tell him how much that show meant to them and they related to it, really is touching and a completely different side of him

tcudoc

I wrote about this one on this thread probably around a year ago. It was definitely not what I expected for Gervais. It really touches on all of the emotions as you mentioned. It takes a difficult scenario and brings some humor to it while still recognizing the devastating impact of losing a loved one. The supporting cast of misfits takes a few episodes to grow on you, but eventually, I really enjoyed them. I’m a big fan of Gervais and this one is out of his normal range of work, but he really did a great job.

tcudoc

I started watching a show on Netflix called After Life with Ricky Gervais. I am a big fan of his, so I stuck with it. It is super depressing, but funny at times. It has the ugliest bunch of sad sacks I have ever seen assembled in one place. Each character is so unfortunate that it is actually pretty funny. That being said, I have enjoyed it so far because it is so depressing it makes my life look better.
I don't necessarily recommend it unless you are looking for a mood killer, but, as usual, Ricky is entertaining with his biting wit and he throws around the C word an awful lot. I guess in British comedy, it is not considered as off limits as it seems in the US.
Anyways, there are only 3 seasons of about 6 episodes each at 24 minutes per show, so it is not a huge investment.

On a different note, I live in the country and internet access has always been an issue. We got Elon Musk's Starlink last week. It is a game changer. Streaming services were never a possibility except on our phones. Now, we have actual service that works! As someone who has been dealing with slow internet for several years (not that much better than dial up, honestly), it's a huge deal! If you ever see a HughesNet commercial on TV, don't believe what those liars try to tell you.
Bumping this to recall what I said about After Life previously. Like Ron and eight, I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. Give it about four episodes for character development.

Eight

Bumping this to recall what I said about After Life previously. Like Ron and eight, I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. Give it about four episodes for character development.

just for clarification doc, are you telling yourself to give it a few episodes?

QuilterFrawg

CDR USN (Ret)
I finally caved and just watched Succession from the beginning. I'm just shaking my head the whole time. I don't give a crap about any of these characters. They're completely without any redeeming qualities. And the dialog is way too convoluted for me. Just speak plain English, for Pete's sake. And why the heck is Greg necessary?
C-

Creeperfrog

I finally caved and just watched Succession from the beginning. I'm just shaking my head the whole time. I don't give a crap about any of these characters. They're completely without any redeeming qualities. And the dialog is way too convoluted for me. Just speak plain English, for Pete's sake. And why the heck is Greg necessary?
C-
I've never seen an episode of succession... it just seemed so reality show/awkward to me, which I can't stand.

I've seen every episode office, but I still still cringe everytime I watch it.

tcudoc

Did anyone try the reboot of Night Court?
It is sooo bad. I can’t even begin to describe how bad it is. The lead character is the judge, who is supposed to be the daughter of Harry, the old judge. She is neither believable nor funny. They use a laugh track that is awful. John Laroquette is the only returning character from the original and the writers do him no favors. The jokes and gags are tired and completely unfunny.
It’s sad because I actually kind of enjoyed the original. The reboot is worthy of all the negative reviews it has gotten. The commercials for it initially quoted some favorable reviews but they are struggling now to hide just how bad it is.
Anyone else seen it? I gave it three episodes before I told my wife, “no más!”
The sitcoms they roll out lately are just awful. My wife also wanted to watch the “award winning “ Abbott Elementary. It is pitiful. Not funny at all. They try to do the fourth wall stuff like The Office did but the writers and actors have no idea how to properly do it and the actors are the most unfunny collection of people I’ve ever seen. This show won some kind of awards for best new show but I have no idea how.
It’s no wonder no one is watching network TV anymore. The shows are pathetic.

Eight

Did anyone try the reboot of Night Court?
It is sooo bad. I can’t even begin to describe how bad it is. The lead character is the judge, who is supposed to be the daughter of Harry, the old judge. She is neither believable nor funny. They use a laugh track that is awful. John Laroquette is the only returning character from the original and the writers do him no favors. The jokes and gags are tired and completely unfunny.
It’s sad because I actually kind of enjoyed the original. The reboot is worthy of all the negative reviews it has gotten. The commercials for it initially quoted some favorable reviews but they are struggling now to hide just how bad it is.
Anyone else seen it? I gave it three episodes before I told my wife, “no más!”
The sitcoms they roll out lately are just awful. My wife also wanted to watch the “award winning “ Abbott Elementary. It is pitiful. Not funny at all. They try to do the fourth wall stuff like The Office did but the writers and actors have no idea how to properly do it and the actors are the most unfunny collection of people I’ve ever seen. This show won some kind of awards for best new show but I have no idea how.
It’s no wonder no one is watching network TV anymore. The shows are pathetic.

half the first episode hoping to see the ghost of markie post, but couldn't stay past that

gervais is a genius and american tv should just let him bring derek and his other shows over here

the real question is will anyone admit to watching an entire episode of ghost

jack the frog

Anything worth watching on MGM+? I fell for the free trial on the promise of season 2 of From but it includes only episode 1. Might cut my losses. BTW, From is solid if you like the horror genre. S1 available free on Prime through the MGM+ affiliation.