• The KillerFrogs

TCU Men's Tennis 2021-2022

Longfrog

Unfortunately looks like our #5 and #6 are injured. Neither Vives nor Maxted playing… Jirousek and Ruehl in their spots. Probably need three wins on courts 1-4

And in a bit of Frog on Frog or Czech on Czech violence, the transfer Paroulek is playing Jirousek on #5. We will find out who got better of that deal…..
Awesome win. I have no inside info but I suspect Maxted and Vives were available if needed since both played dubs. Maxted looked terrible vs Tech and Vives was out for a bit. Plus Jirousek and Ruehl won tight matches vs Tech so I’m guessing Roditi wanted to reward that. Guessing next match we’ll at least see Vives back in over Ruehl.

JogginFrog

Jong lost a 3-set match to Florida's Vale on Jan. 14 (5-7). Since then, he's won a tie-break ten (10-3 vs. Lah), and 4 full third sets without a loss, including two bagels. The guy is a closer.

Is there a story I missed about "the landlord" nickname?

Jared7

Woo hoo! That was completely unexpected as far as I am concerned. To go from 0-4 at home to 4-3 on the road is a stupendous turnaround!! We really really needed that to get back to #1 in the country and take the pole position for the Big 12 regular season championship and we came through!! This is utterly and completely amazing!! Kudos to Roditi and the entire team!!

Jared7

Jong lost a 3-set match to Florida's Vale on Jan. 14 (5-7). Since then, he's won a tie-break ten (10-3 vs. Lah), and 4 full third sets without a loss, including two bagels. The guy is a closer.

Is there a story I missed about "the landlord" nickname?
He "collects the rent" in virtually every match he plays. CTR now projects the Fighting Frogs of lil ole TCU to be the #1 team in the next ITA rankings by a LOT! Beating Baylor means that we now own W's over all of the other Top 5 teams (Ohio State, Florida, Baylor and Tennessee), which is something no other team comes close to. This is amazing! We had never been #1 ever prior to this season and we've now won the Indoors and climbed back to the top spot after blowout L's to Michigan and Baylor. This is already a storybook season. Can we win the Big 12? Can we advance in our regional? And a super? Can we win it all??

Jared7

Alex Rybakov is in Oeiras, Portugal for a Challenger this week and his first rounder will be today against Noah Rubin. I think Gray is skipping this week because all the Challengers are on clay.

The current Big 12 standings are TCU 2-0; OU 1-0; Baylor 1-1, Texas 1-1; Oklahoma State 0-1 and Tech 0-2. Saturday's match at home against Texas will be Senior Day and the last regular season home match of the year. It could be pivotal if Texas could pull off the upset, but if the Frogs win, it would mean the Frogs would need only 1 more match W to clinch at least a tie for the regular season crown. TCU is hosting this year's Big 12 tourney in a couple of weeks and we're set to host a regional in the NCAA's and potentially a super-regional as well if we advance, so it's not the last chance to catch the Frogs in action this year.

A W over Texas could really help the Frogs by giving us a solid 8th W in the rankings - currently, our Top 7 W's dwarf all the contenders, but as the ITA gradually expands the list to the Top 10 W's, we need more impressive W's to continue to set the pace.

It's now official - Cam Norrie has hit a new CH at #10 in the world.

Last edited:

FrogUltimate

Interestingly enough - Norris is baaarrely #10 after Alcaraz won Miami yesterday. Alcaraz is just a few points behind Norrie, so enjoy the top 10 ranking for a week or two!

Jared7

Interestingly enough - Norris is baaarrely #10 after Alcaraz won Miami yesterday. Alcaraz is just a few points behind Norrie, so enjoy the top 10 ranking for a week or two!
One of the things the Tennis Channel guys say so much that it's almost become a cliche is that "getting to the Top 10 is one thing, staying there is quite another."

FrogUltimate

One of the things the Tennis Channel guys say so much that it's almost become a cliche is that "getting to the Top 10 is one thing, staying there is quite another."

Yeah through following Norrie's journey I could always find players I think he could pass.... looking at the list now and it's tough. FAA, Berrettini and Tsitsipas seem most likely.... Tsitsipas will lose the FO finals appearance here shortly.

Jared7

Jake Fearnley was named the Big 12 Player of the Week yesterday. He was 3-0 on the week, but his big accomplishment was winning the first doubles match with Luc Fomba against Baylor and then reversing his loss a week ago to Baylor's Finn Bass in singles and getting the first singles W in that key match. That effectively got us the team W and put us in first place in the Big 12 standings and regained the #1 slot in the country.

Saturday against Texas is Senior Day. We don't technically have any seniors but both Tim Ruehl and Juan Carlos Aguilar are graduate transfers and qualify to be honored. (Luc Fomba has been with us 4 years but he's got another year of eligibility due to COVID). It's a key match - Texas could get right back into the conference chase if they pull off the upset. We'll be going for our 20th W of the season.

Latest posts