• The KillerFrogs

TCU Men's Tennis 2021-2022

Jared7

One more thing, the computers are only counting your top 4 wins so far. We've got a bunch of quality wins that don't count yet. As we progress through the season, the formula adds more wins, so that at the end of the season it counts your top 10 wins, I think. Our 7th best win is against UVA, theirs is against Memphis. But the computers haven't factored that in yet.
Well, CTR is projecting the rankings based on only 4 W's, but historically, the first ranking based on the ITA formula counts 5 W's. They've got an app that allows you to project that too (we still come out 3rd). But you're definitely accurate about the road W bonus thing - according to the formula, Tennessee's W over us in Ft. Worth is way more important than our W over them in Seattle.

Jared7

So my take on our indoors vs outdoors skill:
Fomba - clearly better indoors. Has an absolute hammer of a serve that is benefitted playing indoors. See Gray, Alistair.
Aguilar - the opposite. He's going to be better outdoors. Doesn't play a big game and needs to grind which is difficult indoors.
Jong - I'd place him somewhere in the middle, maybe slightly towards indoors. He can hit some pretty huge serves and certainly likes to hit big when he has a chance.
Vives - I think he's going to be pretty similar to Jong.
Fearnley - probably slightly better indoors, he likes to destroy forehands. Consistently hits the forehand about as hard as you can. Although he gets good topspin so I don't think there will be much difference.
Maxted - not really sure. I'd say it's a wash.

Overall we are probably a slightly better indoors team, and really, after being the #1 indoors team there's not much in the way of improvement to be gained. I'd firmly expect us to be a top 4 team come tournament time.

I've been keeping track of singles record this year and here's the current status through all of indoors:
Fomba: 6-2 (75%)
Aguilar: 6-4 (60%)
Jong: 8-3 (73%)
Vives: 6-1 (86%)
Fearnley: 7-1 (88%)
Maxted: 5-3 (63%)
I agree with this except perhaps on Vives. Admittedly, I haven't seen him play much, but I have a feeling that he's a better outdoors player than inside. Most guys from Spain are. For me, it's kind of a "where are you from and where did you learn to play" thing. Northern climes - better indoors; Southern climes - better outdoors. (With exceptions).

FrogUltimate

Cam had actually slipped to 13th prior to Delray, so the title moved him back up to his CH of 12th. The Tennis Channel guys were saying that he's going to be defending his 1000 points from Indian Wells when the tourney is held again at its usual time in 3 weeks, so I'm guessing that means that they're going to stick with "can't use points from the same event twice" rule and he won't be able to keep his points for the full year like "normal." Kind of a drag.
Oh man that's not right. Just dropping the 1k points, he'll drop to #20 or so.

FrogUltimate

I agree with this except perhaps on Vives. Admittedly, I haven't seen him play much, but I have a feeling that he's a better outdoors player than inside. Most guys from Spain are. For me, it's kind of a "where are you from and where did you learn to play" thing. Northern climes - better indoors; Southern climes - better outdoors. (With exceptions).

Yeh... both Jong and Vives were tough for me to project. I'm thinking we don't see too much difference for either

Jared7

And before we just move on, I'd like to savor the Indoors title a bit by saying that I'm very impressed with the way Roditi prepared us for this tourney. First, when we hosted the Kickoff, we played indoors unlike sometimes in the past (and the way Texas and other teams did this year). if you're trying to get ready for an indoors tourney in Seattle, I think it's smart to actually play indoors. Second, I have a feeling that Roditi knew well before August that Gray was going to go full-time pro and that he was already recruiting PVM so that when Alastair made it public, Roditi was ready to go with the recruiting announcement almost immediately. It opened up a schollie that Roditi closed quickly. Third, Roditi made a cryptic comment about Coach Bowen making some doubles adjustments after losing our first doubles point - I don't know if it was positioning or when to hit it wide or whatever, but it worked. And lastly, he made good personnel decisions on the line-ups; working everyone in at what seemed to be the right time. And, we were fortunate that everyone got healthy when needed; which is also kind of a coaching thing. When you lose, it's seemingly always the coach's fault, so when you win, I think the coach deserves some credit.

FrogUltimate

And before we just move on, I'd like to savor the Indoors title a bit by saying that I'm very impressed with the way Roditi prepared us for this tourney. First, when we hosted the Kickoff, we played indoors unlike sometimes in the past (and the way Texas and other teams did this year). if you're trying to get ready for an indoors tourney in Seattle, I think it's smart to actually play indoors. Second, I have a feeling that Roditi knew well before August that Gray was going to go full-time pro and that he was already recruiting PVM so that when Alastair made it public, Roditi was ready to go with the recruiting announcement almost immediately. It opened up a schollie that Roditi closed quickly. Third, Roditi made a cryptic comment about Coach Bowen making some doubles adjustments after losing our first doubles point - I don't know if it was positioning or when to hit it wide or whatever, but it worked. And lastly, he made good personnel decisions on the line-ups; working everyone in at what seemed to be the right time. And, we were fortunate that everyone got healthy when needed; which is also kind of a coaching thing. When you lose, it's seemingly always the coach's fault, so when you win, I think the coach deserves some credit.

Roditi is the #1 coach at TCU and has been for the past 4-5 years at least.

Time for TCU to figure out how to make our indoor situation and facilities better. It's currently an embarrassment outside of of our outdoor courts which are awesome, IMO.

Jared7

Roditi is the #1 coach at TCU and has been for the past 4-5 years at least.

Time for TCU to figure out how to make our indoor situation and facilities better. It's currently an embarrassment outside of of our outdoor courts which are awesome, IMO.
It's probably going to take a big money donor to renovate the indoors facility and add the needed 6th court and seating, but cameras inside can almost certainly be done within the existing budget. I'd like to see a new updated website as well that can show all 6 courts on the stream at the same time and show real-time scores like other schools have.

Purp

I agree but would say two things in response. First of all, the punishment for losing to a top team is extremely small the way they do the formula, so Tenn's 2 losses don't mean much. I don't think that's the fairest way to do it, but I think they want to encourage the top teams to play each other. Second, Tennessee can kind of go [ teat ] for tat on the quality wins front. There is probably no single win that's more valuable in the formula than beating us in FW, since they get a road win bonus, so that more than cancels out our win over them at a neutral site. They also have top 10 wins against Baylor, S Carolina, and Wake. Each of those teams won 2 matches at indoors. I happen to think Ohio State, Florida, and Texas are clearly better wins than that bunch, but the computers don't know that yet.
I get that and it's very similar to RPI/NET for baseball with the points for road versus away. But they have 2 losses and we have 1. That should count for something too. It defies logic that 2 losses to top 4 teams wouldn't be worse than 1 loss to a top 4 team.

And using your logic from your next post, if only top 4 wins matter right now wouldn't our wins over #1 and #2 be more impactful than theirs over #3 and #4? None of this makes any damned sense at all.

FrogUltimate

But they have 2 losses and we have 1.
This. I get having certain parameters to make sure SOS is accounted for in wins/losses, but after a certain degree, the first trigger should be how many losses a team has. Second should be H2H results. Ohio St, Tenn, TCU and other top programs have VERY similar SOS at this point. TCU is the obvious best team, and the loss column shows it along with the indoor championship. It's idiotic.

Jared7

In addition to doing the projections for the ITA formula's rankings, CTR has their own ranking, which is, like, just their opinion, man. And there, the #1 team in the land are the Horned Frogs from Texas Christian University, the Indoor National Champions. And I'll wager that Alex Grushkin has something to say about this issue on the Cracked Racquets podcast as well.

Longfrog

I think if I could only make one tweak to the rankings formula it would be to incorporate the actual scores from the duals. Tenn's 2 losses were 4-1 and 4-0, and they have a bunch of 4-3 wins. They beat Columbia at home 4-3 and Columbia is predicted to be ranked #23. Our loss was 4-3 and we had a lot of one-sided wins. That should have some bearing on the rankings. If it did, I bet we'd be #1. Ohio State would probably be #2, which also seems fair since they demolished Tenn in their meeting.

You'd probably need to allow teams to play on past the 4th point for exhibition purposes, so teams don't have to worry about risking their points in allowing matches to finish. But that might be good anyways. As it is, Fearnley has a loss on his record because we defaulted him in a match he'd just started vs Ole Miss because we wanted to let 2 other matches finish.

Longfrog

Oh man that's not right. Just dropping the 1k points, he'll drop to #20 or so.

Here are points by month over the last 2 calendar years. I moved Indian Wells to March since he's about to lose those points. Aside from that event, Cam took a bunch of points in April-July, so lots of rankings pressure until August.

Basically, even after you drop him down in the rankings due to losing the 1000 points from IW, he'll need to average 290 points per month through July just to tread water on points.

Norrie.png

Last edited:

Jared7

Here are points by month over the last 2 calendar years. I moved Indian Wells to March since he's about to lose those points. Aside from that event, Cam took a bunch of points in April-July, so lots of rankings pressure until August.

View attachment 10835
The problem for Cam if he does indeed have his ranking dipped after Indian Wells is that he's going to fall out of the Top 16, which will affect his seedings for Roland Garros and Wimbledon for sure and maybe the U.S. Open. Instead of having a clear path to the Round of 16, it'll only (presumably) be favorable to make the Round of 32. He does have an advantage, though, in that, having had to play Nadal, Nadal, Federer and Alcaraz in the 3rd, 3rd, 3rd and 1st rounds in last year's Slams, he really isn't defending a lot of Slam points, so, if he can go further, he can make up some lost ground. But it all depends on his performance. If he can win another title or two and make at least the quarters or semis at Indian Wells, he isn't going to lose perhaps as much as projected. At Delray, he clearly benefited from being the top seed. Slipping in the rankings will remove those potential benefits.

Jared7

I think if I could only make one tweak to the rankings formula it would be to incorporate the actual scores from the duals. Tenn's 2 losses were 4-1 and 4-0, and they have a bunch of 4-3 wins. They beat Columbia at home 4-3 and Columbia is predicted to be ranked #23. Our loss was 4-3 and we had a lot of one-sided wins. That should have some bearing on the rankings. If it did, I bet we'd be #1. Ohio State would probably be #2, which also seems fair since they demolished Tenn in their meeting.

You'd probably need to allow teams to play on past the 4th point for exhibition purposes, so teams don't have to worry about risking their points in allowing matches to finish. But that might be good anyways. As it is, Fearnley has a loss on his record because we defaulted him in a match he'd just started vs Ole Miss because we wanted to let 2 other matches finish.
Good thoughts, but I just don't think they're going to change the formula. If they didn't do it last year when the Big 10 and Pac 12 were playing only conference matches because of COVID and were massively disadvantaged and whined for months about it and brought the full weight and power of Ohio State, USC, UCLA and Stanford to make changes, they aren't going to do it to rectify a "minor" anomaly with TCU and Tennessee in a given year. I think the chances of a change are minimal.

FrogUltimate

View attachment 10835

yeah fortunately aside from Indian Wells, he doesn't have any huge gluts, at #12 going to need some decent results. Losing Indian Wells after 7 months or whatever is brutal though.

The huge wildcard and upside for Norrie is that he has very few GS points, as he's underperformed or gotten rotten draws. If he can finally bust through and get a QF and round 16 in other two, he can get great points there.

Peacefrog

Degenerate

Basically, even after you drop him down in the rankings due to losing the 1000 points from IW, he'll need to average 290 points per month through July just to tread water on points.

View attachment 10835
Did you create this chart yourself? If so, I applaud your dedication to the sport.