• The KillerFrogs

Ponying Up: SMU embarks on $100 million football stadium upgrade

YA

TCU needs another video board of the same size in the south endzone at the top of the suites and seats as the current one in the north endzone.

Looking at what KSTATE did with their recent stadium expansion project with 4 video boards is impressive.

Applying lipstick to that 'Ford Stadium Porker' will pacify SMU's minuscule

fan base. They are accustomed to athletic venues bereft of amenities.

Last edited:

Dogfrog

My first thought was they’d be better served using the 100 million for NIL money.
Too much change going on in college football to make that kind of investment. In the old world of college football our investment in facilities was timed perfectly. Spending that kind of money on facilities today is a serious risk IMO. Think I’d go ahead and spend it on players first, then consider facilities later.

Froginbedford

They must believe in “ If we build it they will come”.
SMU left old Ownby Stadium (I've only read about it) for the Cotton Bowl, then left the Cotton Bowl for Texas Stadium, and yet few people came...even in the Texas Stadium Pony Express days....Similarly Rice expanded its stadium in the 1950s to 70,000 seats (using some surplus materials from the construction of the Gulf Freeway)....Small-enrollment (and especially small private schools) can't support mega stadiums....TCU at least won't be tempted to expand ACS since there is no room....That's not to say someone won't get a wild hair up the pooper to chase Jerryworld as a "home" field....

Brog

SMU left old Ownby Stadium (I've only read about it) for the Cotton Bowl, then left the Cotton Bowl for Texas Stadium, and yet few people came...even in the Texas Stadium Pony Express days....Similarly Rice expanded its stadium in the 1950s to 70,000 seats (using some surplus materials from the construction of the Gulf Freeway)....Small-enrollment (and especially small private schools) can't support mega stadiums....TCU at least won't be tempted to expand ACS since there is no room....That's not to say someone won't get a wild hair up the pooper to chase Jerryworld as a "home" field....
There's always room.

bp4tcu

We have our own issues, no doubt about that. But to attempt to draw comparisons between us and them is beyond laughable.
Not really. They play in a lesser conference and haven't had much success before 2021.

If anything, it's laughable on our end. We paly Big 12 football in the metroplex and struggle to get people to show up. Even in our 'better' days we were at best, 75% full. What's our excuse?

Spike

What a waste of money. It should have been spent on parking.
Indeed. The last few times I went there (for TCU games) it was like they had no idea how to handle a crowd of any size. Parking has always been atrocious. Concessions too. Kept from me from ever going to see them playing the few more interesting opponents that they had. I'm sure a decent number of casual fans are kept away for the same reasons.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Indeed. The last few times I went there (for TCU games) it was like they had no idea how to handle a crowd of any size. Parking has always been atrocious. Concessions too. Kept from me from ever going to see them playing the few more interesting opponents that they had. I'm sure a decent number of casual fans are kept away for the same reasons.
The only time they have a crowd is when TCU plays there.