• The KillerFrogs

Who is the best Texas h.s. player you ever saw?

Limp Lizard

By far the greatest I ever saw was Wonderous Warren McVea. Took what was a mediocre team and made it one of the best in Texas: San Antonio Brackenridge. Their 1963 Thanksgiving holiday bi-district matchup, won by SA Lee was considered the best HS game ever for a long time.
He injured his knee at the Texas All-Star Game at Amon Carter (I was at that game) but recovered enough to star in college and play some meaningful time for the Kansas City Chiefs, but comparatively was a step off what he could have been.
I saw Deerinwater play against Bell, I think it was, and he was a great HS player, big with really low pad levels, but didn't make it at the next level (TCU). Tried him at linebacker, but he did not play all that much. Probably not enough speed.

Wog68

By far the greatest I ever saw was Wonderous Warren McVea. Took what was a mediocre team and made it one of the best in Texas: San Antonio Brackenridge. Their 1963 Thanksgiving holiday bi-district matchup, won by SA Lee was considered the best HS game ever for a long time.
He injured his knee at the Texas All-Star Game at Amon Carter (I was at that game) but recovered enough to star in college and play some meaningful time for the Kansas City Chiefs, but comparatively was a step off what he could have been.
I saw Deerinwater play against Bell, I think it was, and he was a great HS player, big with really low pad levels, but didn't make it at the next level (TCU). Tried him at linebacker, but he did not play all that much. Probably not enough speed.

I believe Bub maybe transferred to OK State where he played quite a bit.

Shorty

I never watched much HS ball but I played with Ryan Moats. He ended up a 3rd round draft pick and spent a couple years in the NFL. You knew from watching and playing with him he had NFL talent. I was a couple years younger and had the misfortune of running scout team against him. It really made you appreciate what freak athletes college and NFL players are.

Prime BEEF

Kelan Luker (qb) and Cody cardwell (wr) at stephenville were probably the best I watched.

Played against the Kendal Briles team but luker was better.

Best played against were Adell Duckett (DE, mineral wells), cal jillson (lb, stephenville), Corey Connally (rb, Crowley)

Limp Lizard

I believe Bub maybe transferred to OK State where he played quite a bit.
You're right. Bub had two pretty good seasons at Oks State, averaged 2.6 and 4.3 ypc his two years there. TCU had Norm Bulaich and Ross Montgomery, both big backs with take it to the house speed.

Bulaich had a pretty good career but fought injuries at TCU and the NFL. No telling how good he could have been. But he has a Super Bowl Champs ring, so there is that. "Big Boo" was pretty good at track, too; I saw him win the 100-yard dash against much smaller competitors at Farrington Field. He looked like a shot putter who accidentally wandered on the track...until he ran.

HFrog1999

Probably the best High School football player I saw was Dwayne Brazzell (RIP) as I watched from the sidelines as he torched our defense in a 1993 playoff game. I was a sophomore who got to suit up for the game at the Cowboys stadium.

My son played against Juan Davis last year. Thankfully he didn't have to try and cover him.

KTown Frog

Football: Jonathon Gray - kid was pretty amazing to watch
Basketball: Rashard Lewis out of Elsik, saw him play when I was in high school, unreal, men amongst boys