• The KillerFrogs

Official Coaching Search Thread….

LisaLT

This would be a devastating blow for our conference mate IF true.
Happy Denzel Washington GIF by Bounce

Limey Frog

Ironically, the gloom and doomers were ahead of the curve and not asleep at the wheel like most posters here. There were obvious issues becoming more severe since 2018 and this year was the final straw.

@CountryFrog thought I was whiny until the depression from watching our offense finally struck him

This is true. I was among the crowd accused of overreacting in 2018 with mid-season prognostications of doom and gloom. I wish I'd been wrong, but here we are.

I'm upbeat about Dykes, though. People used to tell us that what GP had done at TCU wasn't that difficult because we were only in the MWC, but we knew better. He was a great coach who achieved something singularly spectacular. Winning isn't easy anywhere. Now that it's us hiring a guy from SMU, why are some changing their tunes? It wasn't easy to win at TCU in the MWC, and it isn't easy to win at SMU in the CUSA. Dykes has done well at SMU; he's a good coach. Let's hope that transfers across town.

SackLunch

you aren't very good at this are you

if things were so tough to win then why did gary stay? if gary knows what it takes how do you explain his record over the last 6 seasons?

if gary knows what it takes to win explain the staff he put together, especially on the defensive side of the ball since 2017.

you and others keep talking about how tough things have been for gary at tcu and yet no one gives one solid example.

as far as your science experiment comment you are truly a moron. you want a crowd, go to the offshore trade show in houston or the tech expo in austin.

go to the medical center in houston and pick a direction because you have meccas built to a variety of disciplines in the medical field and milllions come and watch those "experiements" every day.

how many people would line up in florida just to watch a rocket launch that would be visible for a matter of moments?
If I ever get good at this I'm going to be worried about myself because we're going back and forth about something we have absolutely no say in and not one single living organism on this planet gives two s#$@ about what we are talking about. So no I hope I'm not very good at this and if you are and take pride in that then maybe get some new hobbies....or a girl.

Gary stayed because Gary is something a lot of our fans know nothing about which is loyalty. He stayed becasue he loved TCU, loved Fort Worth and wanted to build something great here. He also probably stayed because he's smart enough to see what college football is and realized if he stayed and created something great here he could do it his way and would be relatively safe when it comes to job security. Talk to any college football coach and they would tell you they'd love to know where they will be next year, or next week in some cases. The record over the last 6 season is not a good record, I'll give you that. We aren't talking about the last 6 seasons though, we are talking about what he did for TCU and Fort Worth over the last 23 or whatever it is. The fact that we "expect" to win 9/10 games a year is proof of what he did for TCU because there was a time, literally right before GP took over that we were happy with 3/4 wins a season. He stayed out of loyalty and the last 6 season don't matter because we are talking about how he literally turned TCU into a well known football program and in turn school.

The staff he put together have done a pretty damn good job when you look at the fact that they have been at the same school for 20+ years in some cases. I do think both sides needed some upgrades but the reason GP wouldn't make those changes is the same answere to your first question, he's loyal....too much for his own good.

Tell me what you would consider a tough situation and I'll tell you at least one from the last 20+ years.

You're obviously a sensitive person because it sounds like someone got their feelings got hurt and it's also obvious that you are not a college football fan bc that's a quote from The Program, the greatest football movie ever made. Since you got serious about it, ye

flyfishingfrog

This is true. I was among the crowd accused of overreacting in 2018 with mid-season prognostications of doom and gloom. I wish I'd been wrong, but here we are.

I'm upbeat about Dykes, though. People used to tell us that what GP had done at TCU wasn't that difficult because we were only in the MWC, but we knew better. He was a great coach who achieved something singularly spectacular. Winning isn't easy anywhere. Now that it's us hiring a guy from SMU, why are some changing their tunes? It wasn't easy to win at TCU in the MWC, and it isn't easy to win at SMU in the CUSA. Dykes has done well at SMU; he's a good coach. Let's hope that transfers across town.
And now we are comparing Dykes at SMU to GP when we were in the MWC?

Gary won more games in 7 seasons in the MWC than Dykes has won in his entire career - do the math

And that ignores the 4 conference championships and all the post season success we had with GP vs ZERO championships for SMU under Dykes

As a matter of fact - 2007 was the only year TCU finished the MWC season lower than Dykes best finish in the AAC

We were a great program during the MWC days - SMU is better than average and that is all

Comparing Dykes to other actually great coaches just makes him look worse- he isn’t even on of the top 2 coaches in his conference

4th. down

I LOVE the gif feature.

I hope you guys will stay up past your bedtime and watch the basketball game tonight!
THIS is the primary reason I never wanted us in the PAC and besides, the revised Big 12 is better than the PAC......don't think so? Who in the PAC is rated in football....2 (Oregon & Utah) and the Big 12, 5.

Then maybe hope that Tony Elliott stays at Clemson or goes to Virginia Tech and does not go to our #1 rival, Baylor. Elliott is a good recruiter, charmer and leader, and Texas and Louisiana recruits, parents and high school coaches would likely quickly warm to him. I can imagine Elliott becoming the most likable Head Coach in Texas and I would much dislike TCU being the other private school directly competing with him in recruiting.

Last edited:

gofor2

Comparing Dykes to other actually great coaches just makes him look worse- he isn’t even on of the top 2 coaches in his conference

I agree. His best finish so far is 3rd in his division, 5th in his conference. We know what Sonny is going to bring - a capable offense, bad defense. Based on his coaching at Cal and SMU, he'll get us 6th-7th place finishes and with some luck, we'll finish 4th here and there. I guess it also depends on what the Big12 looks like going forward. Will it be split divisions etc.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
Like almost everyone else here, I want that standard of excellence that LHCGP established, back at TCU, and much stronger seasons.
Here's TCU's record over the past five years:

2017 - 11 wins 3 losses
2018 - 7 wins 6 losses
2019 - 5 wins 6 losses
2020 - 6 wins 4 losses
2021 - 5 wins 6 losses (to date)

TCU has had a single losing season since 2017, with 2021 still to be completed.
A good coach should be able to win immediately at TCU.
An elite coach like Urban Meyer or Chris Peterson should be able to compete for Big 12 championships at TCU and higher, immediately.
Nick Saban’s first year at Alabama was 7-6.

Eight

If I ever get good at this I'm going to be worried about myself because we're going back and forth about something we have absolutely no say in and not one single living organism on this planet gives two s#$@ about what we are talking about. So no I hope I'm not very good at this and if you are and take pride in that then maybe get some new hobbies....or a girl.

Gary stayed because Gary is something a lot of our fans know nothing about which is loyalty. He stayed becasue he loved TCU, loved Fort Worth and wanted to build something great here. He also probably stayed because he's smart enough to see what college football is and realized if he stayed and created something great here he could do it his way and would be relatively safe when it comes to job security. Talk to any college football coach and they would tell you they'd love to know where they will be next year, or next week in some cases. The record over the last 6 season is not a good record, I'll give you that. We aren't talking about the last 6 seasons though, we are talking about what he did for TCU and Fort Worth over the last 23 or whatever it is. The fact that we "expect" to win 9/10 games a year is proof of what he did for TCU because there was a time, literally right before GP took over that we were happy with 3/4 wins a season. He stayed out of loyalty and the last 6 season don't matter because we are talking about how he literally turned TCU into a well known football program and in turn school.

The staff he put together have done a pretty damn good job when you look at the fact that they have been at the same school for 20+ years in some cases. I do think both sides needed some upgrades but the reason GP wouldn't make those changes is the same answere to your first question, he's loyal....too much for his own good.

Tell me what you would consider a tough situation and I'll tell you at least one from the last 20+ years.

You're obviously a sensitive person because it sounds like someone got their feelings got hurt and it's also obvious that you are not a college football fan bc that's a quote from The Program, the greatest football movie ever made. Since you got serious about it, ye

who is this "we" you keep talking about that EXPECTS to win 9-10 games?

what the "we" i know expect is for the team to play hard, be well coached, execute, and play smart football. if that is too much please let me know how "we" are off base with our expectations

i am talking about the last 6 years because unlike most of our alums, recruits don't care about what tcu did in cusa or the mwc and consider that most high school recruits were around 6 years of age when tcu beat wisconsin in the rose bowl. recruiting is very much what have you done lately and that is one reason why an answer of not too much, but i killed it 12-15 years ago isn't a good answer

add in the pending conference reallignment and unfortunately there just isn't time for long, tearful goodbyes

finally, the only members on the staff who have been at tcu close or beyond 20 years are sharp, anderson, and chad

funny thing is if you ask who is making a mark in recruiting or whose guys have consistently overachieved those aren't the three namess that get mentioned, but since non of the posters here are big fans of loyalty i guess we get what we deserve right?

gofor2

THIS is the primary reason I never wanted us in the PAC and besides, the revised Big 12 is better than the PAC......don't think so? Who in the PAC is rated in football....2 (Oregon & Utah) and the Big 12, 5.
The time zone differences would have been really difficult to deal with.