• The KillerFrogs

Official Coaching Search Thread….

Paul in uhh

What exactly does TCU need to rebuild?
Is this prep for the inevitable "well 2022 was expected to be a rebuilding year"
Because that is absolute scheissing cow [ #2020 ].
I think the idea is that we have been roughly .500 over the last five years. We need to rebuild from that.

We didn’t fire GP because he’s a meanie head, we fired him because he was 7-22 against the current b12 coaches.

Wexahu

I'm not one of the anti-Evans crew. I love the kid and hope he's still here next year even though I'm sure he won't be.

That said, regardless of how good he is, we've gotten next to nothing out of him in the 2 years he's been here. We refused to play him very much for some reason his 1st year and he's barely been on the field this year since halftime in Lubbock.

As for Johnston - terrific player who's made some big plays and had some great games. It hasn't led to much winning though.

So I don't care about the recruiting rankings (team or individual) because whether it's been great, terrible, or somewhere in the middle it hasn't resulted in hardly any winning the last 4 years.
Before we do much winning around here, the culture needs to change. Take a look at K-State, Baylor, and even moreso, Oklahoma State. They don't have better recruiting rankings than we do. K-State hasn't recruited anything like we have. They just seem to have everyone pulling in the same direction trying to win football games. WAY less drama, way less weird stuff going on, both on and off the field. No cryptic twitter and IG posts that I know of, no bizarre substitution patterns that nobody understands. It seems to be all about football, and trying to win.

I don't know where it went wrong but it seems like the "better" the players we've landed, the more jacked up things have gotten. So to your point, I don't really care about recruiting rankings or making sure some guys stay, etc. because until we get back to some semblance of a winning culture, it won't matter. It's not fantasy football. Hokey sounding, but true IMO.

Paul in uhh

Before we do much winning around here, the culture needs to change. Take a look at K-State, Baylor, and even moreso, Oklahoma State. They don't have better recruiting rankings than we do. K-State hasn't recruited anything like we have. They just seem to have everyone pulling in the same direction trying to win football games. WAY less drama, way less weird stuff going on, both on and off the field. No cryptic twitter and IG posts that I know of, no bizarre substitution patterns that nobody understands. It seems to be all about football, and trying to win.

I don't know where it went wrong but it seems like the "better" the players we've landed, the more jacked up things have gotten. So to your point, I don't really care about recruiting rankings or making sure some guys stay, etc. because until we get back to some semblance of a winning culture, it won't matter. It's not fantasy football. Hokey sounding, but true IMO.
I always had a feeling that GP was a better fit for the MWC days than the b12 days. Back when he could recruit a lot of overlooked players with a chip on their shoulders. Those “lunch pail” dudes who were very similar to GP as a person.

vicarfrog

As others have said, the target is a formal announcement on Monday the 29th. This could change, but that’s the working plan. They’ve been working to firm up the terms sheet, that’s now done and there has either been a board meeting or there will be in the near future to inform/approve. I anticipate there will be “SOURCES: SONNY DYKES TO TCU” tweets Saturday evening if not before.

There was some discussion of Sonny coming over sooner, but that appears to be off the table in the final handshake.

If I remember to do it, we can do some story time after the announcement, it’s been an interesting few months since the OU/WV games, and even dating back to winter 2019/2020.

Ok, crazy question. Let's say by some freak circumstance, TCU beats Iowa State and secures a bowl birth. Who leads us into the bowl game? Current staff or *assumed* Dykes?

Wexahu

I always had a feeling that GP was a better fit for the MWC days than the b12 days. Back when he could recruit a lot of overlooked players with a chip on their shoulders. Those “lunch pail” dudes who were very similar to GP as a person.
I agree.

And I don't know the secret formula, but Mike Gundy isn't really known as a great recruiter (we "outrecruit them almost every year, don't we?) but he is a criminally underrated coach. Maybe he just surrounds himself with really good assistants, I don't know, but you have to be impressed with the consistency of that program. Zero losing seasons, and only two sub-.500 league records in the 10-year run of the current B12. And that's not counting going 23-3 in 2010 and 2011.

y2kFrog

Ok, crazy question. Let's say by some freak circumstance, TCU beats Iowa State and secures a bowl birth. Who leads us into the bowl game? Current staff or *assumed* Dykes?
Dykes coached SMU’s bowl game after Morris was fired, so if he did it, it wouldn’t be his first time.

Horny 4 Life

I'm not thrilled with the hire, but I'll back whoever leads our guys onto the field. I feel like this is going to be a bridge type hire anyway. It's tough to follow a legend and LHCGMFP, as is often the case with great coaches who hold on too long, didn't leave things in great shape for his successor.

Best case scenario, Sonny flourishes at a school with tons of resources and a solid commitment to football and we find ourselves enjoying another period of sustained success. Worst case scenario, we're looking for another coach in 3 or 4 years because Sonny can't get over the hump and we're a little more attractive because LHCGMFP is further in the rearview mirror.

Last edited:

Paul in uhh

I agree.

And I don't know the secret formula, but Mike Gundy isn't really known as a great recruiter (we "outrecruit them almost every year, don't we?) but he is a criminally underrated coach. Maybe he just surrounds himself with really good assistants, I don't know, but you have to be impressed with the consistency of that program. Zero losing seasons, and only two sub-.500 league records in the 10-year run of the current B12. And that's not counting going 23-3 in 2010 and 2011.
One thing about him is that he has been known to cut loose dead weight. When he feels an assistant isn’t up to snuff he lets em go and moves on.

TRF51

Agree 100% looking at some of these Twitter accounts and watching their live streams is confusing. Kids are just different now a days I guess.

asleep003

Bump is old. We were still awesome on defense until he retired, then we sucked after that.
It's always been CGP as the official or unofficial DC ... Bump failed his 1st (4 win) season, then he became the unofficial assistant DC, with a DC title... Bump was the sous chef.

Last edited:
I agree.

I think the formula is that he searches out and hires good coaches without regard to whether he has a history with them and lets them do their job. He's buddies with Meacham but let him walk and has had I think three OC's since we hired him the first time and yet he never called him. During that same period, we hired him twice. But, I don't think that program has really been a juggernaut; we've beat them at least a couple of times when we probably shouldn't have, one of those being with Meacham as the OC/play caller.

Chongo94

It's always been CGP as the official or unofficial DC ... Bump failed his 1st (4 win) season, then he became the unofficial assistant DC, with a DC title... Bump was the sous chef.
Yeahhhh cause the defense was so great under Gary and only Gary the past few years…