• The KillerFrogs

Official Coaching Search Thread….

The Bad Guy

I'm not saying this is the case for all the anti-Dykes crowd, but I think that whether they realize it or not a lot of the people who are against him are almost purely against him due to the fact he's at SMU. They're not only a rival but a very close rival that we know a lot about. Napier is out in Lafayette playing in a conference that no one cares about and whatever flaws his team may have fly under the radar more easily because no one has been paying attention to them and they play almost exclusively terrible opponents.

I have no doubt that if they both had the exact same resume but Sonny was currently at Louisiana and Napier was currently at SMU that a lot of the same people who love Napier would be saying it's a disaster to hire him.

For me personally, they are both pretty much the same level of candidate. I feel good about our chances with either one of them but neither are an automatic great hire. And honestly, other than Chris Peterson, there's not a single guy who's name has been floated that I would've felt would be an automatic great hire.

I can get onboard with this thinking. I also believe if Napier was successful here, he would be going onto a bigger program in 2-5 years. I believe if Sonny is successful here, he may just finish out his coaching career here.

Pharm Frog

I can get onboard with this thinking. I also believe if Napier was successful here, he would be going onto a bigger program in 2-5 years. I believe if Sonny is successful here, he may just finish out his coaching career here.

I couldn't care less about how long a coach stays here if he's successful here. Good enough to get an NFL gig or a true blue blood gig....excellent. That likely means TCU hired a very good coach, got wins, and maybe started developing a hiring competency.

I don't know how anyone who watched the baseball coach hire would think it's anyone other than Dykes. The legend quits/leaves/is fired, everyone knows who is going to replace him, but the "search" takes FOR-EV-ERRRR just so we can eventually hire the most obvious choice from the onset.

It's all just a charade to make it look like we performed some extensive, national search.

No doubt, you speak the truth. You don’t go through a real coaching search for a month plus and end of with Sonny Dykes unless that was the planned outcome from the start.

Obvious Troll

dana isn't going anywhere unless he were to be fired now that uh is coming to the big12
Yes, Dana is a non sequitur for TCU coach, but a comparison in terms of coaching record / program ceiling.

I despise group think and taking the easy/mediocre way out.
Did the search committee just mail it in? Did they take their cue from the last four years of TCU football performance?
How many excellent coaches and coordinators were contacted last year or the year before?
What did the coach call list look like before LHCGMFP was canned?
Did the committee even call Nick Rolovich? Nick would be a solid hire and he's looking for a job.
What about Urban Meyer? He is clearly not having fun and taking TCU to an NC would put him in rare air.
What about Joe Moorhead at Oregon? What about Jay Norvell at Nevada?

Maybe the search committee has reached out to dozens of highly qualified coaches and assistants, but based on what I'm hearing at Chik-fil-A,
that doesn't seem to be the case.

Last edited:

Eight

Yes, Dana is a non sequitur for TCU coach, but a comparison in terms of coaching record / program ceiling.

I despise hate group think and taking the easy/mediocre way out.
Did the search committee just mail it in? Did they take their cue from the last four years of TCU football performance?
How many excellent coaches and coordinators were contacted last year or the year before?
Did the committee even call Nick Rolovich? Nick would be a solid hire and he's looking for a job.
What about Urban Meyer? He is clearly not having fun and taking TCU to an NC would put him in rare air.

Maybe the search committee has reached out to dozens of highly qualified coaches and assistants, but based on what I'm hearing at Chik-fil-A,

did come across this bit of film from an early search committee meeting where they are talking about the qualifications of the next head coach

images

That’ll probably be in a couple years.

What were you and they saying about Aranda when Baylor hired him, or after last year?

I’m just joking around, but Aranda is in year two as a HC, Dykes headed into year 13. Big difference…

I liked the Aranda hire for Baylor from the outset. Top flight coordinator at a blue blood SEC program works for me.

PurpleBlood87

I despise group think and taking the easy/mediocre way out.

Norvell is 58. Would rather have a younger coach.

Paul in uhh

Some people have completely unrealistic expectations. Urban Meyer was never gonna come here. Neither is any p5 head coach worth a darn.

I understand being skeptical but the outright bitching and moaning before Dykes has even coached a single snap here is ridiculous. Let’s see what staff he assembles and give him a few years at least.

I know that as soon as we lose our first game under him these same people will be ready to jump off a ledge.