• The KillerFrogs

Official Coaching Search Thread….

Paint It Purple

I bet we have the guy, agreement in place and just waiting for the right time. I think it is Napier.
Interesting you say this since the discussion here turned on a dime based on a leak from one well placed poster. Yet not a peep from official sources or media that I'm aware of. Course the news could be out every where...I'm out here in the boonies.

Double V

I don't know how anyone who watched the baseball coach hire would think it's anyone other than Dykes. The legend quits/leaves/is fired, everyone knows who is going to replace him, but the "search" takes FOR-EV-ERRRR just so we can eventually hire the most obvious choice from the onset.

It's all just a charade to make it look like we performed some extensive, national search.

Wexahu

People keep talking about various candidates and expressing frustration that we aren't getting a "home run hire".

Who is the last coach we hired in any sport who was a home run, and who we knew was a home run at the time of hire?

Ironically the expectation that we hire a known HR coach only exists because of what Patterson has built.
Dixon was a home run. Lol.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
I mean I have no inside knowledge of what’s going on but in the last two days I’ve seen about 5 different people say it’s like a 99% done deal that it’s Sonny Dykes.
I am sure it either one. I hoping for Napier, but if it is Dykes so be it. Everyone points out his Cal recrod, but he has followed it with a very successful rebuild at SMU. Perhaps Cal just wasn't a good fit. He learned some lessons. Whatever. Coaches sometimes don't do well one place and then find success at the next place.

froglash88

Our HS head coach is a former Tech player told me a couple days ago that there is no way Dykes goes to TCU. He said that he would never take a job 30 minutes from his current job. I said I’m not so sure that is accurate. We will soon find out.

Wexahu

Jamie Dixon was a "homerun" hire and looked to be so after his first season. Can we say it has been that since?

A "homerun" hire is one that makes people sit up and take notice. A hiring decision is a judgment that plays out over time.
The need for instant gratification means people care more about how a hire is going to be perceived than how it ultimately works out. People don’t have time for that.

It’ll be funny a year from now when after a season of results and things playing out how people’s perception of this year’s “home run” hires totally changes. We’ll have a new group of home runs next year.

Eight

Believe me bud, his winning ds

I do feel like a lot of the younger generation, students on campus now, do not appreciate GP and what he has done for TCU. I don't think they realize they probably wouldn't have even considered TCU if it wasn't for the fact that GP created such name recognition for TCU. I don't want to say he should have been allowed to burn down the house but I think he should have been allowed to retire how and when he wanted to. The crazy thing about GP is if they would have just told him that they would like him to finish the season and retie and help them pick the new coach he would have probably happily done it. The fact they did it in the middle of the season and basically said it's our way or your fired is what is so disappointing about the whole ordeal. You don't tell the guy that literally made your entire university relevant what he is going to do as far as leaving the program, you let him know what you would like and then let him decide how it's done. Again, without GP TCU is nothing more than a rich North Texas.

why should gary have a say in who follows him? why should gary have a say in the future of his assistants and the support staff at tcu?

gary didn't achieve what has been achieved in the football program solely on his efforts. there were a group of assistants who continually seemed to be forgotten by those engaged in the gary worship.

additionally, was it gary's vision of tcu as an educational institution that has shaped the rebuild of the campus? you keep talking that without gary tcu wouldn't be what it is today and i am curious what you believe we are other than a small, private school in north texas.

froglash88

Tell him he’s an idiot.
Hey now… he’s usually pretty knowledgeable, but I believe way off on this one.

We need him to start sending us players (Cardinal Gibbons HS Fort Lauderdale). Also, my son is at St Thomas Aquinas (but a baseball player). Hopefully we can start getting kids from there.

Eight

Also, keep in mind, Sommer at this point oversees strength/conditioning for all of TCU Athletics, not just football. He could stay, but in a role like that with new faces/names taking over day-to-day for football. I think he is also heading towards retirement, but I could be wrong about that.

do not the other sports have specific people who work with them in s&c?

baseball for sure has dechant

Eight

The reports of Sonny ceding play calling are vastly overstated. He is heavily involved. Whoever he hires as OC (I expect it won't be Meach) will "call plays" along with Sonny, though I expect if Doug stays he may get a Co-OC title and have input.

curious, what has meacham done that has anyone thinking he is the best we can get at given position?

if it is dykes and say the staff has two wr coaches i am all for malcolm and trey

whomever is the next hc MUST be given the authority to hire who he wants on his staff and support staff period

Chongo94

You can think what you want but with the exception of Lincoln, he’s only the most prolific offense head coach in the game over the last 10 years. Not all his numbers are a train wreck.

There’s an incredible amount unrealistic expectations in this fanbase. GP himself wrecked the attractiveness of this job by crapping the bed for the last 4 years. It is what it is. You can hate Donati all you the want but he’s not the reason there’s only 20k people in the stands most weeks, a small alumni base, and affiliated with a wounded duck B12. Believe or not those things matter to a lot of HCs. I can assure you that it mattered to Napier. In fact it mattered a lot.
Attendance mattered a lot to Napier even though he’s at a school whose largest crowd since 2018 was just a little over 25,000….?

A small alumni base mattered so much to him given that his current school only has around 5,000 more students enrolled than TCU as potential alumni?

I’m not saying those things didn’t matter but you make it sound like the guy is coming from Michigan or something.

Last edited: