• The KillerFrogs

Official Coaching Search Thread….

Planks

Totally agree that GP has not done a good job in the last several years...still the best coach we are going to get and still the only reason TCU is on the map. Like I said before, if he hadn't stayed and built this program and school up we would be nothing more than a rich North Texas.
If you are taking about overall success during their respective tenures at TCU, then yes I agree, GP will be better than whoever we get next. GP is a coaching legend and chances are we won’t follow him up with another legend.

However, if you are talking about coaching ability right now, for 2022 and the next few seasons, then I disagree. TCU absolutely can get a better coach than GP right now.

Do you agree with JCs assessment that he thinks Dykes is the favorite over Napier?
Napier is #1 on our big board, JC would agree with that. However, if we are playing oddsmakers, you'd probably still have Dykes a slightly better favorite simply because he has made it clear he is a YES if offered, and Napier has said no to so many schools before TCU (sometimes, pretty late in the process too).

As of today, I'd probably do something like:

Dykes: +300
Napier: +400
Elliott: +750
Campbell: +1000
Clawson (Formerly mystery candidate): +5000

I think what JC is hearing is what has generally been floating around this week: TCU made a push with Napier over the weekend and into the early week, that didn't go as far as we might have hoped, and now they are pushing with Dykes. As I've said 1000 times before, better to get your #2 when ready if your #1 is stalling, and in this case, they can't wait for Napier and Campbell to engage. If they (Napier & Campbell) really wanted the job, they would step up at this point. They know how the business works.

For me, if Napier's camp doesn't lean in, it's Dykes to lose. I think Elliott would take the job, but TCU doesn't favor him for a few reasons. Campbell and Clawson could be a wildcard if they suddenly decide to engage more actively, but if they don't I wouldn't be surprised to see TCU lock up Sonny and call it a day. He'd be a solid choice, given the realistic options TCU has. Again, you could wait and see what happens with others, but in doing so you might end up with nothing or an Elliott type at best.

We're definitely at the [ Finebaum ] or get off the pot moment of the process.

One other thought that has occurred to me: There is no good time for an SMU coach to go to TCU, that's a bad divorce regardless, and leaving after this weekend's big game at Cincinnati would seem to make sense for Sonny. If he wants to stay for senior day on 11/27, I'd expect he will leave after that game and drive on I-30 straight to the Frogs to get started working, with a press conference on Sunday.

By the way and as an aside, I was told a few days ago that GP likes both Napier and Dykes, but if it was his choice he would go with Dykes. (To be honest, I think he had some other candidates in mind, but it just hasn't worked out)

TCU Vagabond

Napier is #1 on our big board, JC would agree with that. However, if we are playing oddsmakers, you'd probably still have Dykes a slightly better favorite simply because he has made it clear he is a YES if offered, and Napier has said no to so many schools before TCU (sometimes, pretty late in the process too).

I think what JC is hearing is what has generally been floating around this week: TCU made a push with Napier over the weekend and into the early week, that didn't go as far as we might have hoped, and now they are pushing with Dykes. As I've said 1000 times before, better to get your #2 when ready if your #1 is stalling, and in this case, they can't wait for Napier and Campbell to engage. If they (Napier & Campbell) really wanted the job, they would step up at this point. They know how the business works.

For me, if Napier's camp doesn't lean in, it's Dykes to lose. I think Elliott would take the job, but TCU doesn't favor him for a few reasons. Campbell and Clawson could be a wildcard if they suddenly decide to engage more actively, but if they don't I wouldn't be surprised to see TCU lock up Sonny and call it a day. He'd be a solid choice, given the realistic options TCU has. Again, you could wait and see what happens with others, but in doing so you might end up with nothing or an Elliott type at best.

We're definitely at the [ #2020 ] or get off the pot moment of the process.

One other thought that has occurred to me: There is no good time for an SMU coach to go to TCU, that's a bad divorce regardless, and leaving after this weekend's big game at Cincinnati would seem to make sense for Sonny. If he wants to stay for senior day on 11/27, I'd expect he will leave after that game and drive on I-30 straight to the Frogs to get started working, with a press conference on Sunday.

By the way and as an aside, I was told a few days ago that GP likes both Napier and Dykes, but if it was his choice he would go with Dykes. (To be honest, I think he had some other candidates in mind, but it just hasn't worked out)
Do you have any theories to Napier’s hesitancy? Is it waiting out for jobs like LSU or Florida, or other factors? I guess I just disagree with the sentiment that TCU should have Dykes jump Napier and hire Dykes early just because we aren’t willing to wait out Napier for 7 more days. We shouldn’t be offended that he’s waiting out for two top 10-15 jobs in the country, one of them being top 3 (LSU)

Last edited:
Do you know what Duke basketball was like before Coach K?

Do you know what the food industry was like before McDonalds?

Do you know what China was like before Mao?

Do you know what retail was like before Sears & Robuck?

Do you know what travel was like before the steam engine?

Do you know what America was like before George Washington?

Do you know what Mexico was like before Cortes?

Do you know what Rome was like before Julius Caesar?

All of those questions are equally as relevant to the current state of the TCU football program.
What was the universe like before God?

don

I think it would be more like Dykes -130, Napier +150, Elliott+600. :)

Double V

[
Who were the other candidates?

tcuball3

Ticket Exchange Pass
In the beginning, I was really intrigued with the prospect of having Napier. Now I feel like I want the guy who wants it most, and everything I've read recently indicates Napier is not that guy.
Location and unfamiliarity with TCU is likely why Napier pulled back. Dykes really wants the job, loves Fort Worth/Metroplex, and most importantly is a Texan born and raised making it the right location not just the right job. At the end of the day just think Napier will wait on $EC job being from SC.

mantikos

Location and unfamiliarity with TCU is likely why Napier pulled back. Dykes really wants the job, loves Fort Worth/Metroplex, and most importantly is a Texan born and raised making it the right location not just the right job. At the end of the day just think Napier will wait on $EC job being from SC.
GA

hiphopfroggy

Plus Dykes for me is 1A
A Guy with a losing P5 record and near .500 American record is your 1A?

Happy Well Done GIF by Sarah Squirm

vicarfrog

In your humble opinion, do you feel Gary likes them because they'll never reach what he accomplished or does he like them, because he feels they're the best fit for the job?

That's an honest question, I mean no disrespect to Gary or that I am insinuating he would do that.

geezer

Colonel, USAF (Retired)
Old saying about three types of leaders: Builders, Caretakers, and Destroyers.

What type will succeed GP the Builder?