• The KillerFrogs

Official Coaching Search Thread….

Moose Stuff

The real question is…. can Deion Sanders actually coach? I sure as hell don’t know and I doubt that the TCU decision makers know either. There’s likely to be no middle ground with Sanders, either he hits big or is a total flop. Is TCU willing to take that huge gamble?
I think that’s basically the essence of it. Whole lot of people on our boards basically saying “scheiss it, Deion is our guy” but if they were in JD’s shoes and their job was on the line would they still feel that way?

StinnettFrog

Part of the interviewing process has to be on his coaching style and the coaches he would want for coordinators. He obviously knows the game and surely they can get a pretty good idea of his capabilities. Go big or go home right.

How many universities as members of a major football conference would seriously consider
hiring a candidate with the following resume?

(1) ~ Prime Prep Academy ~ (grade school) ~ head coach
(2) ~ Triple A Academy ~ (high school) ~ coordinator ~ (one year)
(3) ~ Trinity Christian School ~ (high School) ~ coordinator ~ (three year)
(4) ~ Jackson State ~ (SWAC) ~ head coach ~ (two years)

Wexahu

Man people vastly overestimate how good Deion would recruit. Don’t get me wrong, he would attract attention and talent to TCU in a way that would be very unique. But consider for one second the task of taking 85 scholarship kids who ALL had the personality types to want to play for Deion and turning that into a consistently cohesive team. Take guys like Daniels and Evans (both of whom advocated for Deion yesterday)…. great players, seem like good kids, you definitely want/need guys like that on your team. But we’ve all seen what comes with that this year and though it’s not really a big deal when it’s a few guys what about when it’s most of your team? Something to think about.
For it to work, I think Deion would probably have to be a much different guy than what I suppose a lot of these kids would be expecting. Can’t have 85 superstars on a team, what happens after that first big ass chewing or the demotion to 2nd or 3rd team with some of these kids? What happens after the first humiliating loss? Not sure Deion’s ever been big on taking much responsibility for failures, how will that work?

Can’t imagine things getting out of control with 85 Deion wannabes who are all in to marketing, self-promotion and NIL deals. Lol.

Things are accelerating… Barring something unexpected, resolution in the next few days is possible. Frogs going for their #1.

It’s not a 0% chance, but Deion won’t be the guy. Why? Simply put: He has exactly zero experience running a major CFB program, and would face an uphill battle getting HS support in Texas from guys who think he’s unethical. The kids like the idea of him, because of his celebrity and experiences, but coaches/parents and the “underbelly” do not. Somebody will take a chance on him, probably SMU or an SMU type, but it’s a true coin flip with a really low floor.

Is it racism? No. How do I know? He wasn’t the only current black head coach TCU was pursuing/interested in/talking to. Honestly I think TCU would PREFER a black HC if they had the right candidate, but that guy just isn’t available/interested this cycle. TCU has too many good and experienced options to choose from vs. reaching.

Last note: Regardless of who TCU hires, it seems the likelihood Dykes leaves SMU is going higher by the day.

CountryFrog

Things are accelerating… Barring something unexpected, resolution in the next few days is possible. Frogs going for their #1.

It’s not a 0% chance, but Deion won’t be the guy. Why? Simply put: He has exactly zero experience running a major CFB program, and would face an uphill battle getting HS support in Texas from guys who think he’s unethical. The kids like the idea of him, because of his celebrity and experiences, but coaches/parents and the “underbelly” do not. Somebody will take a chance on him, probably SMU or an SMU type, but it’s a true coin flip with a really low floor.

Is it racism? No. How do I know? He wasn’t the only current black head coach TCU was pursuing/interested in/talking to. Honestly I think TCU would PREFER a black HC if they had the right candidate, but that guy just isn’t available/interested this cycle. TCU has too many good and experienced options to choose from vs. reaching.

Last note: Regardless of who TCU hires, it seems the likelihood Dykes leaves SMU is going higher by the day.
So Campbell is coming to TCU and Dykes will be his OC. I'll take it.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
We don't want an exhibitionist
valerian GIF

Speak for yourself.