• The KillerFrogs

Official Coaching Search Thread….

TCU Vagabond

FWIW… Word this afternoon from University Dr. is that the Napier interview/review process has gone so well that he has moved up to #1 on the board and, pending a few outstanding items, it’s possible things could start moving quite quickly this next week. I think TCU believes they have a guy they like and could keep for a “long time.” As some of you remember from other coaching searches, these things move both slow and fast and, if you find somebody you like and there’s momentum, it pays dividends to focus your attention and get things done vs. waiting for the process. I get the sense we’re heading in that direction.

We shall see what happens…
Do you think he would accept if we offered him the job? It’s been tough to tell with him

TCUdirtbag

Maybe we should tap the breaks a little. I think folks may be surprised of the level of coaches that become available.
I dank near coughed up my coffee this morning when it became less of a rumor that some of the power brokers at Ohio State want to push Ryan Day out. How crazy is that?
Still, Day would do wonders here at TCU. So would someone like Tom Herman. Point being, get it right. Don't worry about the clock so much. Napier seems like a solid guy. Just gotta wonder if LSU wants him.

Gonna be a crazy month and a half ahead.

You can’t sit on your hands and take leftovers as the carousel spins.

I agree you can sit and wait a bit on Dykes. But Napier is a different story. He’s been pursued by several SEC schools for a reason. If the interview was a big hit for both sides, TCU is going to make its move—not sit around and risk losing something they feel good about just because someone they haven’t talked to *might* get fired.

Last edited:

SackLunch

Well, there is not need to worry about building up TCU, it's already been done. Some of the best facilties in the whole country. Money. Recruiting Hotbed. TV.
We aint in Conf USA anymore, and our fans should start to finally realize that.
We also aren't Texas A&M, Clemson, Bama etc...have you seen those facilities? Now that's big time football and besides what we did with our suites we are pretty subpar when it comes to facilities. When it comes to the level of the schools like the ones I listed above, and there are A LOT more, we just don't compare. Explain to me what makes us a "recruiting hotbed"

Wexahu

CFP bids, championships and all that other great stuff is a byproduct of winning games and to be honest, some good old fashioned luck. Just give me a good coach that can outcoach the opponent more often than not and the rest will take care of itself.

I do think the “long time” thing is important. Having your coach be brought up as a candidate every single time another job opening comes along would suck. Not sure how that is avoided, but I think some of these guys are more hired guns than others.

Mean Purple

Kill is a good coach. His health issues cost him some time at Minn. Seems like he has gotten a lot of that back under control.
If he wins out, why not give him a shot? He was Big 10 coach of the year in, I think, 2014.
Is he the type of coach who gets to a playoff? That, I don't know.

TCUdirtbag

Kill is a good coach. His health issues cost him some time at Minn. Seems like he has gotten a lot of that back under control.
If he wins out, why not give him a shot? He was Big 10 coach of the year in, I think, 2014.
Is he the type of coach who gets to a playoff? That, I don't know.

Kill is a really great guy and/but a really average coach. Not the answer.

Mean Purple

CFP bids, championships and all that other great stuff is a byproduct of winning games and to be honest, some good old fashioned luck. Just give me a good coach that can outcoach the opponent more often than not and the rest will take care of itself.

I do think the “long time” thing is important. Having your coach be brought up as a candidate every single time another job opening comes along would suck. Not sure how that is avoided, but I think some of these guys are more hired guns than others.
If Napier was winning at TCU, his name would come up elsewhere until he hit the 10 year mark. That is just reality of the biz.
And any coach is going to say they want to stay long time.

Just Win

Wexahu

If Napier was winning at TCU, his name would come up elsewhere until he hit the 10 year mark. That is just reality of the biz.
And any coach is going to say they want to stay long time.

Just Win
I think Napier would be a hell of a lot more likely to stick around for awhile than some other names being tossed around. And I think some guys being discussed would probably stick around even longer than Napier. But you never know.

Mean Purple

I think Napier would be a hell of a lot more likely to stick around for awhile than some other names being tossed around. And I think some guys being discussed would probably stick around even longer than Napier. But you never know.
I would hope the same. But these are different times. We had one of the last of the 20 year coaches. College football has changed. And not for the better.

Pharm Frog

I think having your coach’s name come up every time there’s a big time opening would be awesome. Can’t imagine anything better actually.