• The KillerFrogs

The Post LHCGP Coach Discussion

Wexahu

FWIW, his four years at Cal went 1 win (down from 3 the year before under Tedford), 5, 8 (bowl), 5 then fired. Sagarin ratings went 118, 59, 32, 58. So steady improvement from a big low the first year then a step back and firing. Deserved to be fired, but not a catastrophic stop and looks like gave him some valuable P5 head coaching experience.
Agree, except with the “deserved to be fired”. Go look through the Cal football history, other than that first year he had which was probably cleaning up the mess left him as much as anything, he was on par with about every other coach they’ve had. It’s just a hard place to win because they care more about counterculture than football. Probably more a case of why did we hire a Texan than deserved to be fired.

Agree, except with the “deserved to be fired”. Go look through the Cal football history, other than that first year he had which was probably cleaning up the mess left him as much as anything, he was on par with about every other coach they’ve had. It’s just a hard place to win because they care more about counterculture than football. Probably more a case of why did we hire a Texan than deserved to be fired.
Yeah, maybe not right phraseology. More of a recognition of the reality that in college football coaches are often let go with a record like that.

Mean Purple

My choice would be Justin Fuente. Young enough to last a while. His current job is one where TCU might be an upgrade (city, recruiting, winnable conference).
meh, he is not really getting it done at Va Tech. He would be a good OC, though. If it had worked where GP got the ultimatum on assistants and win next year or else, I had hoped GP would have a light bulb moment and hire Justin as OC.

Mean Purple

Folks, some of y'all need to get out of the pre-Patterson ere mindset on who we hire. Heck, pre-2010 mindset.
This is an "ultra attractive" job opening, as many have said across sports media across the national air wives today.
The facilities are top 10, the money is top 10 and the recruiting footprint is top 10. TCU is a better job than Tech. Dykes would be base level.

So go big. Get a person who has fire and can win. Ignore the age issues. Experience and wins matter. A guy in his 50s is nothing these days. And the assistants are the ties for recruiting.. HC closes the deal.

Mean Purple

Other questions: Who leaked the info to Bruce Feldman? Were Feldman's comments on Fox Saturday morning coincidence...or part of a strategic plan?
Doubt it was anything strategic. Anybody with a tv knew the TCU job could possibly be open. Feldman did not say it was for sure. There were several guys on SXM networks and even some on ESPN who said Patterson's job could be up. It was simple math after how the season was going, following recent seasons.

Mean Purple

We need to hire a Portal expert. I read an article about Mich St coach Mel Tucker and how he used the Portal to rebuild that program in a very short time. He used a NFL approach of treating recruitment like the Draft and the Portal like free agency. Kind of like Dykes has done at SMU to some degree.
We are already loaded with talent.

Mean Purple

How about Brent Venables at Clemson?
I have thought about this one a lot. Question is, would Venables be as effective at the Head Coach level. He may be like The OC and DC Auburn has right now. Were great coordinators, not so good HCs, back to being great Coordinators. I think Venables makes close to 2 million right now. Until his son graduates Clemson, I doubt he leaves.
He has a bit of a Micky Andrews type deal there at Death Valley. Not a bad gig.

Mean Purple

FWIW, his four years at Cal went 1 win (down from 3 the year before under Tedford), 5, 8 (bowl), 5 then fired. Sagarin ratings went 118, 59, 32, 58. So steady improvement from a big low the first year then a step back and firing. Deserved to be fired, but not a catastrophic stop and looks like gave him some valuable P5 head coaching experience.
Yeah, Cal went south on him quick.

G Mother Froggen P

TCU is 100% a top 20 job. The list of candidates who will not only be interested but actively politicking to JD for the job would be mind blowing if made public.

Top 10 market - Top 10 facilities - P5 Conference - #1 recruiting state - .....good grief.....
I’ve always thought so myself, but it’s nice to see neutral third parties saying the same. (ESPN saying something similar). Given we haven’t had to go through this process in a long time, I’m happy there’s some excitement around this opening.

Mean Purple

Dykes would be a safe hire on many fronts. He has P5 HC experience. He has paved recruiting in roads throughout Texas. He has done a remarkable job at SMU. He may not be the next Nick Sabin but he sure is a proven HC who should take little time to get up to speed. He should be able to minimize portal defections and also bring in talent where its needed. You don’t follow a legendary HC with a sub-conference HC. TCU’s current roster deserves better and DYKES is the right guy now.
I think Dykes would be a 6-6 type coach with 7 - 5 in good years in the Power 5.

Mean Purple

TCU is 100% a top 20 job. The list of candidates who will not only be interested but actively politicking to JD for the job would be mind blowing if made public.

Top 10 market - Top 10 facilities - P5 Conference - #1 recruiting state - .....good grief.....
Agreed. They were gushing about the program on Full Ride on SXM ESPNU this morning. Both Neuheisel and Todd Blackledge point out how this is a ultra attractive job, more attractive than Tech, etc. etc.
Usually after someone asked if Tech coming open had something to do with timing. All indicated that TCU was a more attractive job anyway. Facilities, recruiting, money, tv. tec.