• The KillerFrogs

Houston Chronicle: Texas, Oklahoma reach out to SEC about joining conference

Froggish

So it's looking like TCU will have to Briles themselves out to the highest G5 bidder. Fun. Well I'd rather play in the Fun Belt. If we got to play rec league sports, I'd rather it be fun to watch.

Froggish

It'll be interesting to see the recruiting hit we take now and how many decomit in the coming months and obviously not just from us.

After all the years of hard work TCU and its donors have put into being football relevant, this will definitely kill a lot of enthusiasm for TCU sports amongst the all but most rabid of Frog fans. If it plays out the way many expect, it will be a tough pill to swallow.

jake102

So it's looking like TCU will have to Briles themselves out to the highest G5 bidder. Fun. Well I'd rather play in the Fun Belt. If we got to play rec league sports, I'd rather it be fun to watch.

Do you have any sources, or is this just your opinion?

Also - is anybody else whipped yet by this? I hate things like this that could happen any minute or literally take 12-24 months.

My opinion based on what I've read (no inside sources), is that it's pretty unlikely the PAC12 expands and dilutes their conference. I think the smaller schools in the PAC will want expansion to solidify their spot, while the more powerful schools won't want to dilute the conference. Assuming they have a similar 3/4ths vote as the SEC, it won't happen, especially with the important schools on the wrong side of the aisle.

Eventually UT/OU will lawyer a way to a decreased payment to the remaining 8 and will leave after the 2022 season.

The Bad Guy

After all the years of hard work TCU and its donors have put into being football relevant, this will definitely kill a lot of enthusiasm for TCU sports amongst the all but most rabid of Frog fans. If it plays out the way many expect, it will be a tough pill to swallow.

Agreed. Hell, look at our stadium on days we play Iowa St and such and it's only 2/3 filled (maybe).... Can't imagine what it'll look like playing East Carolina, Temple, and Tulane.

Bob Sugar

I will still be a fan, will still go to games, but would be done with season tickets and parking at current prices. Perceived value just not there. Certainly for September 100 degree games.

Froggish

Do you have any sources, or is this just your opinion?

Also - is anybody else whipped yet by this? I hate things like this that could happen any minute or literally take 12-24 months.

My opinion based on what I've read (no inside sources), is that it's pretty unlikely the PAC12 expands and dilutes their conference. I think the smaller schools in the PAC will want expansion to solidify their spot, while the more powerful schools won't want to dilute the conference. Assuming they have a similar 3/4ths vote as the SEC, it won't happen, especially with the important schools on the wrong side of the aisle.

Eventually UT/OU will lawyer a way to a decreased payment to the remaining 8 and will leave after the 2022 season.

Mostly speculation on my part but my next door neighbor is the AD at the University of Tulsa and he's well connected and he told me straight up that the league is in the process of putting a pitch together for TCU.

jake102

I will still be a fan, will still go to games, but would be done with season tickets and parking at current prices. Perceived value just not there. Certainly for September 100 degree games.

Yeh I'll just buy tickets when I decide to go. That being said, I'm not in FW anymore, now Houston so I could see going to a bunch of UoH games instead of TCU if they are in same conference.

Bob Sugar

Yeh I'll just buy tickets when I decide to go. That being said, I'm not in FW anymore, now Houston so I could see going to a bunch of UoH games instead of TCU if they are in same conference.
Meh. When I was in law school at UH, with a toddler always looking for weekend activities, we never went to a single UH sporting event. Of course the toddler did tailgate with us for TCU-Utah during low school when we came to FW in 2009. Then my mom went big and took her home so I could watch the game sans kids.

Moose Stuff

The biggest upside to all this is we won’t have to worry about getting screwed during realignment anymore. That and Baylor being worse off than we are. scheiss those guys.