• The KillerFrogs

CBS Sports: Realignment Fallout, What's Next

HFrog12

So what I am gathering from Gary’s S Revenge we are not getting into any conference except a hybrid of leftovers. Hello Houston, Boise, K State, Baylor, BYU, Memphis, etc. with a tv payout of $10 million a year.

How depressing

Not sure I am emotionally strong enough to handle. Going into my first year with club seats and its very depressing to think of the new opponents that would be coming into the Carter under this scenario. I hope we are going hard for the PAC.

Wexahu

So what I am gathering from Gary’s S Revenge we are not getting into any conference except a hybrid of leftovers. Hello Houston, Boise, K State, Baylor, BYU, Memphis, etc. with a tv payout of $10 million a year.

How depressing

Not to mention the loss of revenue from fewer ticket sales and everything else associated with lessening fan interest. I think the big donors will probably be pulling back too. We made it so to speak and then had the rug pulled out from under us. Investing and trying to make another run at the big leagues in this environment would seem like a very futile effort now unless enrollment somehow increases by about 300%.

Depressing to say the least.

I don’t think people are thinking about the ramifications of this. I may be wrong, but I think they are going to lose so many formerly rabid fans (me being one) that it’s gotta hurt the game in the long run. Even fans of the “surviving” schools that are still in the major leagues but now know it’s only a matter of time before they are left in the dust, they’ll lose them too.

We have pro football, it’s called the NFL. We don’t need this. The NIL and transfer rules already eliminates any chance that non blue-blood programs have a punchers chance, all the realignment and consolidation just throws dirt on the coffin.

I’m having a really hard time even looking forward to this season. It’s gonna suck to be honest. Not to be a drama queen but I’m just not sure I’m gonna care anymore, and I know I’m not alone.
It's hard to say if they're not thinking about it or if they do and their egos just don't allow them to care. I don't see actually how anyone thinks a super conference is going to be a big ratings draw outside of those who already follow those schools and how it changes the number of people already following those schools. It's pretty obvious how it affects everyone else. If my team is relegated to playing for nothing and what happens in a Texas-LSU game has as much relevance to my team as the NY Giants playing the Chicago Bears, why do I care? I'd much rather do a home project or play golf or take a day trip--all things I put off during football season, than sit around and watch something that is completely disconnected from the traditional structure of college football.

If those making the suggestions of a super league just look at college football only from the metric of this team averages x number of viewers per game and this team averages y number of viewers per game without understanding that interest in college football has some factor of the collective fanbases of all the teams, then I think there is really a serious misunderstanding of the game.

Someone on HFB used the analogy of NASCAR which I think is a good one. They had a very popular sport but were not satisfied with their niche and thought they needed to do all these things to try to turn themselves into something that competed with the stick and ball sports. They closed down several of their smaller tracks, took races from others, moved races from traditional dates, and tried opening a bunch of cookie cutter tracks in large metropolitan areas. Then they tricked that up with a playoff that made a mockery of their regular season having any semblance of being important and what happened? They ran off their core fans, the casual new fans moved on to something else and now their viewership and attendance is a fraction of what it once was. NASCAR and college football are not the same thing but I look at it and think there is a lesson in there somewhere that when you disregard the history and tradition of your sport, you may be doing so at your peril.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
It's hard to say if they're not thinking about it or if they do and their egos just don't allow them to care. I don't see actually how anyone thinks a super conference is going to be a big ratings draw outside of those who already follow those schools and how it changes the number of people already following those schools. It's pretty obvious how it affects everyone else. If my team is relegated to playing for nothing and what happens in a Texas-LSU game has as much relevance to my team as the NY Giants playing the Chicago Bears, why do I care? I'd much rather do a home project or play golf or take a day trip--all things I put off during football season, than sit around and watch something that is completely disconnected from the traditional structure of college football.

If those making the suggestions of a super league just look at college football only from the metric of this team averages x number of viewers per game and this team averages y number of viewers per game without understanding that interest in college football has some factor of the collective fanbases of all the teams, then I think there is really a serious misunderstanding of the game.

Someone on HFB used the analogy of NASCAR which I think is a good one. They had a very popular sport but were not satisfied with their niche and thought they needed to do all these things to try to turn themselves into something that competed with the stick and ball sports. They closed down several of their smaller tracks, took races from others, moved races from traditional dates, and tried opening a bunch of cookie cutter tracks in large metropolitan areas. Then they tricked that up with a playoff that made a mockery of their regular season having any semblance of being important and what happened? They ran off their core fans, the casual new fans moved on to something else and now their viewership and attendance is a fraction of what it once was. NASCAR and college football are not the same thing but I look at it and think there is a lesson in there somewhere that when you disregard the history and tradition of your sport, you may be doing so at your peril.
Well said, sir.

Wexahu

Someone on HFB used the analogy of NASCAR which I think is a good one. They had a very popular sport but were not satisfied with their niche and thought they needed to do all these things to try to turn themselves into something that competed with the stick and ball sports. They closed down several of their smaller tracks, took races from others, moved races from traditional dates, and tried opening a bunch of cookie cutter tracks in large metropolitan areas. Then they tricked that up with a playoff that made a mockery of their regular season having any semblance of being important and what happened? They ran off their core fans, the casual new fans moved on to something else and now their viewership and attendance is a fraction of what it once was. NASCAR and college football are not the same think but I look at it and think there is a lesson in there somewhere that when you disregard the history and tradition of your sport, you may be doing so at your peril.

Whoever HFB is stole the NASCAR analogy from yours truly!

I think it's very fitting though, obviously. Lots of similarities IMO. I hope it fails more than NASCAR.

Whoever HFB is stole the NASCAR analogy from yours truly!

I think it's very fitting though, obviously. Lots of similarities IMO. I hope it fails more than NASCAR.
HFB is the pay site, Horned Frog Blitz. I did not see your post or would have given proper attribution. I don't know if the failure will be that dramatic but I'm not sure where the new fans for these existing teams will come from that make up for those that are no longer interested. Is there some untapped universe of Alabama and Georgia fans out there who have been holding out for them to play some other teams before they'll commit some time to watching their games. As the NASCAR owner Jack Roush said right before crashing his jet, "don't think so."

Klaw

I don’t think people are thinking about the ramifications of this. I may be wrong, but I think they are going to lose so many formerly rabid fans (me being one) that it’s gotta hurt the game in the long run. Even fans of the “surviving” schools that are still in the major leagues but now know it’s only a matter of time before they are left in the dust, they’ll lose them too.

We have pro football, it’s called the NFL. We don’t need this. The NIL and transfer rules already eliminates any chance that non blue-blood programs have a punchers chance, all the realignment and consolidation just throws dirt on the coffin.

I’m having a really hard time even looking forward to this season. It’s gonna suck to be honest. Not to be a drama queen but I’m just not sure I’m gonna care anymore, and I know I’m not alone.

Agree with most of your points except the transfer rule. I believe the transfer rule has helped non-blood bloods acquire great talent who don’t want to sit on the bench from power schools such Buechele at Smu, Nick Starkel at San Jose State, Kenny Hill at TCu and etc

Wexahu

Agree with most of your points except the transfer rule. I believe the transfer rule has helped non-blood bloods acquire great talent who don’t want to sit on the bench from power schools such Buechele at Smu, Nick Starkel at San Jose State, Kenny Hill at TCu and etc

What about the two kids we got from Memphis? Two of the best players on their team. Blue bloods and the big conference teams with all the money are going to steal other team’s starters. The less monied teams will get other’s backups.

MagicFrog

first, who of the remaining 8 are willing to work together.

gary's has said multiple times the only way this works for the big 12 is if all parties stay together. if wvy, ku, and/or ok state bolts there is no combination of aac teams left in my opinion that can comprise a conference that draws national attention and p5 status.

don't know the requirements for the cfp, but who says they have to elevate a conference to p5 status if the big 12 crumbles.

perfect sell to me is if they can go to p4, but don't guarantee slots to conferences. if the pac doesn't measure up they don't get a team in like the last 5 years and that gives espn the continued leverage on usc, ucla, and uo to consider leaving the pac.

that would leave tcu hoping to land in the pac or a lower conference. sucks, but this isn't a matter of simply filling slots

And which of the 8 remaining teams would be willing to stick around? It sounds like Tech already has one foot out the door and I imagine OSU does too. That leaves 6, and I know we aren't going to stick around if the Pac 12 comes calling.

I see what you're saying, but i don't think it's realistic.

flyfishingfrog

how does the texas state government have a say in this? the texas athletic department at this time generates enough revenue on its own to not only NOT take funding from the university, but actually contributes funding back to the school

this might be one of the few schools that operate in this situation around the country, but the state of texas only has a say in a few schools.

as far as their reaction when they don't get their way, scheiss texas, you would think they would learn from how the conference was willing to go behind the back of the ags, but they don't because that won't happen to them. thing is that is the same reaction we see from recruits who sign with schools who have a stacked roster, a history of recruiting over kids, and for running kids out of their programs, yet, they continually get their pick of the recruits because that is where the very best play and they are one of the very best.
The bulk of the endowment is from the state land trust

the athletics program can’t fund the entire school - and can’t operate on their own without the schools approval

MagicFrog

You're exactly right. The people making these decisions haven't stopped to think about the ramifications.

College fans are different than NFL fans. College fans watch all sorts of college games with great interest when their school is one of the programs competing. Take 70% of the schools out of it and they don't start following other teams, they simply lose interest and stop following any of it. These clowns talking about these 'superleagues' haven't stopped to think about what happens when suddenly all these college fans no longer have a school in that league.

bwnorx

We have one hope and one how only IMO- the draw of DFW being the contact point in Texas. Of the PAC does take a Texas team, do they really ONLY want Tech and Lubbock? Same with Stillwater. Hell no IMO but who knows. Package deal with Tech, OSU and another is our best chance with DFW being their central hub to Texas/the south

I give us 25% odds of the PAC and that’s only if they take anyone from the big12

OmniscienceFrog

Did I say that? No. I said it doesn't look as strong without Stanford, and it doesn't.
Yeah, you did say it.

MagicFrog, Yesterday at 7:13 PM

Add Arizona, ASU, Utah, Cal, Colorado, and Stanford to our 8, and you have a pretty good conference.
That would make a strikingly good conference considering the situation we're in now. I'm just not sure Stanford would want any part of it, and without them I'm not sure it's a Power 5 league.

Last edited:

Eight

The bulk of the endowment is from the state land trust

the athletics program can’t fund the entire school - and can’t operate on their own without the schools approval

yes, but the athletic department can fund the athletic department and does the legislature really want to go down the road of cutting off the ut system after allowing the ags to leave the big 12?

don't think the horns would have to look very far to find a lawyer willing to take that case