• The KillerFrogs

CBS Sports: Realignment Fallout, What's Next

Seems like the PAC should move first to mitigate most all risk of SEC or Big10 thinking about USC, Oregon, etc.

I believe the media/fans are thinking about this far more than the BIG is, to be honest. They are comfortable being a "close second" to the SEC in terms of $$ and are going to get a huge contract from FOX with their existing members. You have to balance money, competition, egos, etc. etc. and the BIG is in a pretty good spot overall at this point.

Froggish

I believe the media/fans are thinking about this far more than the BIG is, to be honest. They are comfortable being a "close second" to the SEC in terms of $$ and are going to get a huge contract from FOX with their existing members. You have to balance money, competition, egos, etc. etc. and the BIG is in a pretty good spot overall at this point.

PAC and ACC are far more vulnerable than the BIG. Those schools have long reasonably happy relationships and is still getting paid a lot of money. Seems to me that IF the PAC wants to expand aggressively, they would be doing so putting the PAC Network on the auction block

MagicFrog

If the Pac12 and/or whoever is actually going to be paying for all of this were smart they reach out to KU if the BIG is indecisive about them and add KU, Okie Lite, TCU, and Texas Tech. That would be an amazing basketball package to pit against Arizona and UCLA etc, it is a formidable football group sans KU in 3 different central timezone states with a heavy presence in DFW, and as a bonus 3 of the schools have elite baseball.

You're talking about basketball and leaving out the defending national champion?. If they care about basketball one of these four doesn't belong, and it ain't one of the state schools.

I think that all this conference shake up talk will soon hit a wall of resistance from fans and schools. It is one thing to speculate about dram conferences of size and weight but it is an entirely different thing to face the reality of what this can do to your favorite school. I think school administrative folks will pull in the reins next and the process will slow considerably. Also the Texas government will have its say like it or not. They may not prevent Texas from leaving the B12 but there will be some real push back anyway. Finally the real season will be upon us and this will also lead to a slowing of interest. All this will be a good thing in my opinion. Super conferences all have huge issues to over come and unity within them will be hard to find and maintain. Imagine what happens in the SEC the first time Texas gets its nose tweaked. Horns Down is not just a sign, it is a statement.
All I know is that, for more than 100 years, millions of people have gathered at football stadiums each fall to watch the TCUs, Washington States, Purdues, Iowa States, Oklahoma States, Baylors, etc. of the world. This is a unique part of our culture.

What's happening right now threatens the future of that being any kind of meaningful experience going forward. It seems to me that collectively, we have the power to do something about that and not have this end up being a caste system where only 32 or so teams matter any more.

Revolt!

Dogfrog

All I know is that, for more than 100 years, millions of people have gathered at football stadiums each fall to watch the TCUs, Washington States, Purdues, Iowa States, Oklahoma States, Baylors, etc. of the world. This is a unique part of our culture.

What's happening right now threatens the future of that being any kind of meaningful experience going forward. It seems to me that collectively, we have the power to do something about that and not have this end up being a caste system where only 32 or so teams matter any more.

Revolt!

Amen!

MagicFrog

Add Arizona, ASU, Utah, Cal, Colorado, and Stanford to our 8, and you have a pretty good conference.

That would make a strikingly good conference considering the situation we're in now. I'm just not sure Stanford would want any part of it, and without them I'm not sure it's a Power 5 league.

I think that all this conference shake up talk will soon hit a wall of resistance from fans and schools. It is one thing to speculate about dram conferences of size and weight but it is an entirely different thing to face the reality of what this can do to your favorite school. I think school administrative folks will pull in the reins next and the process will slow considerably. Also the Texas government will have its say like it or not. They may not prevent Texas from leaving the B12 but there will be some real push back anyway. Finally the real season will be upon us and this will also lead to a slowing of interest. All this will be a good thing in my opinion. Super conferences all have huge issues to over come and unity within them will be hard to find and maintain. Imagine what happens in the SEC the first time Texas gets its nose tweaked. Horns Down is not just a sign, it is a statement.

I just wanted to include this so I could say your screen name is SO appropriate right now.

MagicFrog

Yes, y'all are going to have to find a way or the Yankees will be at every Friday Night football game from Longview to Coronado. I don't want them here. The expanded AAC and B12 would be wildly entertaining.

In all honestly, you of all people coming from a schitt hole like Aledo ought to understand that arrogance is not a good look in a situation like this.

You're coming here to passive aggressively talk schitt when your school is responsible to creating a catastrophic problem for 8 other schools. And I'm sure your justification for it is UT is tired of carrying these 8 other schools financially. But the only reason UT is in this position is because of all the free money it gets from the PUF -- money that comes from the oil wells in West Texas, not from anyone at UT doing anything to earn it.

So your arrogant gloating is really no different than some moron who just won the lottery gloating to his $40k / year coworkers that they could be rich like him if they would just work a little harder. Fhuk off and die.

vicarfrog

Revolt!

Well said!

Wexahu

Revolt!

I don’t think people are thinking about the ramifications of this. I may be wrong, but I think they are going to lose so many formerly rabid fans (me being one) that it’s gotta hurt the game in the long run. Even fans of the “surviving” schools that are still in the major leagues but now know it’s only a matter of time before they are left in the dust, they’ll lose them too.

We have pro football, it’s called the NFL. We don’t need this. The NIL and transfer rules already eliminates any chance that non blue-blood programs have a punchers chance, all the realignment and consolidation just throws dirt on the coffin.

I’m having a really hard time even looking forward to this season. It’s gonna suck to be honest. Not to be a drama queen but I’m just not sure I’m gonna care anymore, and I know I’m not alone.

YA

So what I am gathering from Gary’s S Revenge we are not getting into any conference except a hybrid of leftovers. Hello Houston, Boise, K State, Baylor, BYU, Memphis, etc. with a tv payout of $10 million a year.

How depressing

CountryFrog

So what I am gathering from Gary’s S Revenge we are not getting into any conference except a hybrid of leftovers. Hello Houston, Boise, K State, Baylor, BYU, Memphis, etc. with a tv payout of $10 million a year.

How depressing
From a pure football perspective it's actually not that bad. We lose OU which is obviously a big deal but losing Texas isn't something that actually changes the overall quality of the conference on the field.