• ACC

Votes: 15 6.5%
  • AAC/Mountain West/Conference USA

Votes: 64 27.7%
  • Independent

Votes: 1 0.4%

• Total voters

LisaLT

TCU should be doing a media blitz about our famous billionaire alumni, Mark Bezos, who just went into space with brother Jeff. PAC is all about celebrity. And rich alumni.

I don’t think most people are even aware Mark Bezos is a TCU alumni.

Last edited:

LVH

It's the Pac or bust. The ACC doesn't want us.

From the story on espn.com......

If the Big 12 potentially falls apart, many have speculated that four, 16-team super conferences would form as a result, leaving the Big Ten, ACC, Pac-12 and SEC as the powers in college athletics. One ACC AD said he saw little value to be gained by adding any of the remaining Big 12 members.

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...homa-move-sec-hurdles-domino-effects-know-far

The ACC wants to cut, not expand

They want to get rid of teams like Wake Forest, Pitt, and Boston College

That's where all this is heading. Not 4 16 team leagues. More like 2 16 team leagues

ECM

Speaking for myself, IF the Big XII is a life raft I'd be thrilled to have SMU in it. I want all the Texas schools in the league we can get. I'm not a marketing bod whose job is to talk crap about 'eyeballs' and 'footprints' and blah, blah, blah. I'm a fan. I want TCU to play our rivals in games that matter.
I’m obviously biased but I think a watered-down Big 12 would be smart to have as big of a Texas footprint as possible. People from all over are moving here in droves and DFW is arguably the most fertile recruiting ground in the nation.

With that said, I think you guys have more than a puncher’s chance at the PAC-12. They will never, ever take Baylor but they need games in the central time zone for TV purposes. If they can get over their religious bias and if the money makes sense (big if) TCU checks all the other boxes

ECM

the networks were thrilled back in the 90's with the ratings for a highly regionalized conference comprised purely of texas schools and the conference was basically able to build a wall around the state in recruiting because no kid in the state ever saw what a team say in miami of florida or florida state were doing each week because they were too captivated by the swc
Yep. As Bob Dylan said, “times they are a-changing’”

Frozen Frog

Rumors seem to be swirling that KU and ISU are in talks with the Big Ten. I am still not counting Mizzou out of that conversation, with the one left out of the Big Ten being in the SEC. ISU is a lot more attractive than people think. WVU might be in the best position with its location and the ACC being at 15 teams if you include ND.

It comes down to 5 for the Pac12 for likely 4 spots. Obviously the Pac could choose schools outside of the Big 12, but they are going to be selective. The 3 big state schools are likely in the Pac. My guess is that it comes down to TCU or Baylor. TCU is already playing Pac teams regularly. They also sponsor significantly more sports that the Pac wants and maybe one the Pac 12 needs (Beach Volleyball). Olympic sports matter to the Pac. Football drives the bus, but the Olympic sports own the parking lot.

If the Pac does expand to include the teams in the Central Time Zone then it likely also means some odd schedule times. The Pac wants early games so they can be featured as the noon kickoff. It's a lot easier to have CST teams host those games than those on the coast. It also means they can likely show 2 and maybe 3 games a night for basketball and volleyball. I am starting to convince myself the Pac does absorb part of the leftovers of the Big 12. It is going to come down to Baylor or TCU, and Baylor will not get out of its own way!

As for the schools that don't make it to the final 64 I would have to think dropping to FCS might make a ton of sense. There is no reason to try to keep up with the arms race in college football if you aren't going to get invited to the party! Drop to the lower division and focus on strong regional ties. Cut the travel down tremendously and insulate. With streaming and other services people will still watch your games. Focus on your mission of academics over athletics.

Flying T

Tier 1
I agree with your post. PAC 12 already has their Lubbocks (Pullman and Corvallis). The Dallas/ Fort Worth market is where eyeballs and recruits are located. Also it is a easy location for teams and school admin to travel to for events which is a key factor for the existing PAC 12.

If the PAC 12 wants to add Okie Lite and TT, I understand for rivalries and travel partners but what does TT and Okie Lite bring over us?

I would assume with the mass migration of left coasters into Texas that DFW has a fair amount of Californians and Pac Alumni. Plus, its just self evident that traveling to DFW from the west coast is a much more enjoyable destination for fans and would easier financially and logistically on the Pac schools than traveling to Lubbock or Waco etc.

tcufootballjh98

Joining the Pac-12 is the best option, not just from a financial standpoint.

If the remaining members actually stay together and try to add 2-4 schools, it would likely mean adding UH and SMU. While it sounds cool to revive SWC rivalries, it would really hurt our recruiting efforts in DFW and Houston. That's my main concern. That said, I really doubt that all 8 members stay put.

I think the ACC takes West Virginia, and the Big 10 poaches Iowa State, Kansas, and OSU. Pac-12 ends up taking TCU and Tech. Baylor and K-State get left out. Baylor gets denied by Pac-12 for the same reasons as BYU, and I'm pretty sure K-State won't qualify academically for the Big 10.

Last resort to the AAC wouldn't be the end of the world, especially if they were to add BYU and Boise. I'm not sure if they could trim the fat and get rid of ECU and Temple, but that would be ideal in that scenario.

Rabidfrog

Quite frankly, I don't care where TCU ends up.

UT and OU will have to get used to 4 losses a year - just like TAM.
So its a money $$$$$$ grab. Big scheissing deal. With the TV rights and new contracts TCU isn't going to lose any sports money revenue.

PAC 12 or ACC would be better than staying in Big 12 and trying to bring in some also rans.
In lesser conferences (like the past and ACC and Pac12 are lesser than SEC) - TCU has a chance to win some titles, get into some playoffs and see where the upsets may arise (***See Wisconsin and the Rose Bowl) against what would be 6 SEC teams in a 12 team format.

Here's why. Its selfish, but honest.

Back in the day before the Big 12, we would go to 2 away games a year.
At one point TCU was 21-0 in away games we went too (TT Lubbock scheissed that winning streak up).
San Diego, Utah, San Francisco, Albuquerque, Chicago, Charlottesville, Louisville, New Orleans, Pasadena, etc., etc.....

Now we can go to Lubbock....... what a [ #2020 ] hole.
Waco........what a [ #2020 ] hole..........
Oklahoma City............. What a [ #2020 ] hole........
Manhattan KS.......eeehhhhhhhh
Ames, Iowa.........BIG eeeehhhhh
Austin.......... Liberal [ #2020 ] hole deluxe

If I have to go to a lib city for a game, I'll take Stanford or Washington over Austin.

At least the away games would be way more of a fun 3 day getaway than driving to Stillwater, OK
what does "lib" have to do with anything?

froginmn

TCU should be doing a media blitz about our famous billionaire alumni, Mark Bezos, who just went into space with brother Jeff. PAC is all about celebrity. And rich alumni.

I don’t think most people are even aware Mark Bezos is a TCU alumni.
Was friends with him in college and still connected on social media.

HG73

If the remaining members actually stay together and try to add 2-4 schools, it would likely mean adding UH and SMU. While it sounds cool to revive SWC rivalries, it would really hurt our recruiting efforts in DFW and Houston. That's my main concern. That said, I really doubt that all 8 members stay put.

I think the ACC takes West Virginia, and the Big 10 poaches Iowa State, Kansas, and OSU. Pac-12 ends up taking TCU and Tech. Baylor and K-State get left out. Baylor gets denied by Pac-12 for the same reasons as BYU, and I'm pretty sure K-State won't qualify academically for the Big 10.

Last resort to the AAC wouldn't be the end of the world, especially if they were to add BYU and Boise. I'm not sure if they could trim the fat and get rid of ECU and Temple, but that would be ideal in that scenario.
I don't think any of the Leftover 8 gets invited to any P4 conference. Academically WV, KSU, OSU and TT don't excite the blue blood ACC, PAC and B1G. This is very important to them. Baylor and Kansas are going on probation. Baylor is a cult and Kansas drew 19000 fans per game in 2019. No on both. ISU is AAU and draws 60000/game, but B1G already has Iowa. We have good academics, facilities, recruiting, location and football pedigree. But I don't see the PAC inviting TCU and ISU. PAC needs to be in the CTZ, but don't really need to expand.
The Late 8 probably aren't going anywhere. But they did average more attendance than either the PAC or ACC. This league, if they stay together, will get a pretty good TV deal and can form their own network. Not SEC or B1G by any means, but close to the ACC and PAC. Certainly better than the AAC.
I would add one more to get to 9 for a balanced 4 home and 4 away. Maybe AFA or Army. No BYU.

Flying T

Tier 1

If I was the BIG I would try and lure Aggie away from the SEC and then pick up some combination of KU, Okie Lite, TCU, Tech to join them.

I don't think any of the Leftover 8 gets invited to any P4 conference. Academically WV, KSU, OSU and TT don't excite the blue blood ACC, PAC and B1G. This is very important to them. Baylor and Kansas are going on probation. Baylor is a cult and Kansas drew 19000 fans per game in 2019. No on both. ISU is AAU and draws 60000/game, but B1G already has Iowa. We have good academics, facilities, recruiting, location and football pedigree. But I don't see the PAC inviting TCU and ISU. PAC needs to be in the CTZ, but don't really need to expand.
The Late 8 probably aren't going anywhere. But they did average more attendance than either the PAC or ACC. This league, if they stay together, will get a pretty good TV deal and can form their own network. Not SEC or B1G by any means, but close to the ACC and PAC. Certainly better than the AAC.
I would add one more to get to 9 for a balanced 4 home and 4 away. Maybe AFA or Army. No BYU.

I will never understand those on this board who always bring up military academies, Tulane and New Mexico in conference realignment.

Nick Danger

Well It seems like we've made a good impression on a faction at CBS Sports! They see us as a good fit in the new, improved PAC14/16/18! Although their stated rationale is kinda weak (we apparently know where the Oregon Trail is). It would have been more persuasive if they had focused on our history with Utah back then and our historical non-conference scheduling of numerous other PAC-12 teams. Us and Oklahoma State are the only two Big-12 teams CBS Sports has slotted for the PAC-12/14!

Additionally, you'll see from the Comments to the article that schools are still trying to prop up their anti-TCU argument with the old vague and nebulous "toxic religious school" chestnut! Luckily, the conference officials and decision makers in the PAC -12 know this isn't true, even if run-of-the-mill fans from other Big-12 schools don't. There is no TCU version of the Spanish Inquisition!

I always want to ask these guys if they can cite any specific examples of TCU religion-based school policies that they find "problematic"? TCU certainly doesn't ban alcohol or hoochie-choochie dancin' on its' campus, doesn't mandate attending chapel services on a daily basis, isn't against gay marriage or other gay rights, doesn't prohibit
premarital sex, "immodest dress" or even the drinking of coffee and soft drinks, and fully participates in International multiculturalism projects (including environmental restoration projects). So, it can't be that! TCU will (and has) played sports almost 24/7, year round. So, it can't be that! So, exactly what onerous TCU religious policies do you find so toxic? Mandating/abetting the imposition of Sharia Law?

Anyhoo! Here's the TCU blurb, with a link to the entire article below!

10493816.jpg

TCU: PAC-12
The Horned Frogs playing in the Pac-12 seems logical. They previously played in the Mountain West, so going west is not out of the question for the program. TCU does have a good enough brand to entice the Pac-12, so expanding to include some Texas or midwest markets makes sense at this point. TCU going to the ACC seems out of place, going back to the Mountain West would appear to be some kind of demotion, leaving the AAC as the only other conference that would make any kind of sense. The AAC is at least building upon the moniker of the best Group of Five conference and could very well get teams in the playoff at this point when it expands to 12 teams.

https://247sports.com/college/kansa...te-Kansas-Texas-Oklahoma-leave-SEC-168208161/

Last edited:

Frog-O-Rama

Let's start a conference of all Purple schools. Play all of our games on Nickelodian with all those cool effects.

TCU Horned Frogs
Minnesota State Mavericks
Furman Paladins
ECU Pirates
Kansas State Wildcats
Prairie View A&M Panthers
Western Carolina Catamounts
Stephen F. Austin Lumberjacks
James Madison Dukes
Western Illinois Leathernecks

A hard no to Tarelton State and Grand Canyon U (if they ever add football).
Weber State? Northwestern.

T-Ray

SEC

When Texas realizes they'll be unimportant chum in the conference, and backs out.
I was thinking the exact same thing. I remember when it seemed like a pipe dream to be in the Big XII. Admittedly the the Big XII was a bit more desperate. If I were OSU and Tech I would be working on the same crazy stunt.