• The KillerFrogs

OT- More Stupidity From TCU

Wexahu

Unrelated, but more stupidity:

TCU and our dean of admissions, Heath Einstein, hosted a video seminar last night for prospective students providing them advice for the application process. All of the TCU staff had their "preferred pronouns" next to their names.

Dozens of questions were being asked, and I sarcastically trolled them by asking "Should I make sure to include my pronouns in my application essay?" and Heath acted as if he couldn't have been more thrilled by my question and literally chose it as the first question that was addressed. We are living in a clown world. Sadly finding myself less proud to be a Frog all the time.

209886124_10218979581909884_9092077365630938544_n.jpg

I honestly don't even know what the she/her/hers stuff even means, other than the people who use that are some of the weirdest people on the planet. And I don't care to look it up because the answer either won't make any sense to me or will just piss me off.

We are living in a clown world.

RufeBruton

So, Maniac’s World of Perceived Insults hits a time traveling wrinkle in the space/time continuum and hurls him back to 1969 when TCU dorms had different rules for each gender. In this scenario, Maniac returns with a XX chromosomal signature and is assigned to one of the women’s dorms. A dream come true until he finds out that he/she must adhere to TCU’s rules on being locked inside the dorm at midnight (weekdays) and 2AM on weekends. Ohhhhhh the calamity !!! He might burn his bra, march for women’s rights, a vote for democrats.

Eight

Wife is a prof at a state U and it is a huge thing now. She has had several students this past year who identify as "they." It took her a while but eventually was able use the pronoun consistently. I told her to use the persons name as much as possible until she got it down.

Not sure why anyone has an issue with this.

i use the person's name whenever possible and then use an indefinite pronoun such as you or they if using their name just isn't an option

my experience has been that if you are respectful and honest in your attempts most people are willing to get along, but i will say i don't make my living dealing with teenagers and young adults

Endless Purple

I only read the thread title and I knew who posted it. I do agree with the point though. It is silly and the wedding pic should have been run. I check the donation box and add the extra amount for TCU magazine every year on my alumni dues, but I think I need to reconsider, even if the decision was above their level.

jake102

She has had several students this past year who identify as "they." It took her a while but eventually was able use the pronoun consistently. I told her to use the persons name as much as possible until she got it down.

Are you kidding? You don't see an issue with having to remember someone's name and "pronoun"? "until she got it down"? Who gives a [ Finebaum ]

Wife is a prof at a state U and it is a huge thing now. She has had several students this past year who identify as "they." It took her a while but eventually was able use the pronoun consistently. I told her to use the persons name as much as possible until she got it down.

Because they refers to more than one person. An individual student is one person. Words mean things -- or at least they used to. Sorry not sorry.

You can call me whatever pronoun you chose. I will answer if I chose. If I dress in such a way that it is not obvious what gender I am (or am trying to be) or have an androgynous, name, and you mis-pronoun me, then that is my fault not yours. I expect the same from others.

pat.jpg

Endless Purple

The pronoun thing was all over the online classes I have been taking the past year. Almost all the students online add it in to the zoom meeting names. I will not add it to mine. I also will not be offended if I get called by the wrong pronoun. Someone accidently says her instead of him, and I might not even notice enough to slow the conversation.

My cat is another story, I correct people that call him a her.

Agree with Eight, just call people by their name, be respectful and try to get it correct. I do deal with a lot of people that are younger as I teach college level. Also teach in the arts where the art stereotypes do hold up for some students, so I get to see all perspectives and work with different viewpoints..

CryptoMiner

Are you kidding? You don't see an issue with having to remember someone's name and "pronoun"? "until she got it down"? Who gives a [ #2020 ]

I don't see the issue. It was her first experience with such a person. Yes it took a little time but there is a level of respect that seems to be lacking in many. People go through a lot of hardships, especially young adults so why not take a little effort?

tcumaniac

not sure why anyone would want to even watch that if they didn't have a child involved in the process

too many other options such as rewatching good omens or clarkson's farm
Someone sent me a screen shot of it happening. It was on facebook live and I went to go watch. Didn't spend more than 5 minutes total.

CryptoMiner

Because they refers to more than one person. An individual student is one person. Words mean things -- or at least they used to. Sorry not sorry.

They has always referred to a person of an unspecified gender:

"Why don't you ask someone if they could go with you"

"They" does not refer to more than one person in this instance.

You learned something here today.

jake102

I don't see the issue. It was her first experience with such a person. Yes it took a little time but there is a level of respect that seems to be lacking in many. People go through a lot of hardships, especially young adults so why not take a little effort?

Certainly don't disagree with the sentiment. The one time I've needed to do it I figured it out for the sake of that person. But I think it was a courtesy on my part, not something that should have been expected of me. My issue begins when/if it becomes something that is expected of others to learn and remember.

tcudoc

Unrelated, but more stupidity:

TCU and our dean of admissions, Heath Einstein, hosted a video seminar last night for prospective students providing them advice for the application process. All of the TCU staff had their "preferred pronouns" next to their names.

Dozens of questions were being asked, and I sarcastically trolled them by asking "Should I make sure to include my pronouns in my application essay?" and Heath acted as if he couldn't have been more thrilled by my question and literally chose it as the first question that was addressed. We are living in a clown world. Sadly finding myself less proud to be a Frog all the time.

209886124_10218979581909884_9092077365630938544_n.jpg
Nice job, Einstein...

froglash88

I'm sure many of y'all will find this petty and not worth posting about, but I personally found it so ridiculously stupid that TCU deserves to be called out publicly.

For as long as I can remember, it's been a fun tradition to get your wedding picture published in TCU Magazine with all of your TCU friends doing the "go frogs" hand sign, especially if you marry a fellow Horned Frog. I know my wife and I had our picture published with all the TCU alumni that attended our wedding, and we still have a copy of that magazine at our house.

My friend from TCU got married this past year and has a really cool picture with her, her husband, their tcu wedding guests, and super frog who made an appearance.

HOWEVER, TCU Magazine refuses to publish the picture because the wedding "coincided with the pandemic." How scheissing stupid is that? Just mind numbing. Shame on you TCU Magazine and all those involved with your idiocy.
I agree. Just doesn’t make any sense.

But I’m more upset with Block T. I want my TCU Lettermen’s Association back!!!!!

froglash88

I’m probably going to teach for the last time this school year (Year 30 - Gee I’m a Tree). It’s just time to get out. I’m sure we are headed for the pronoun thing and may not be allowed to say he or she in the classroom in the near future.