• The KillerFrogs

Schlossnagle...

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyfishingfrog

They don’t have to buy the tickets but I highly doubt they are “free”. I’ve sat on far too many student fee committee meetings in my life to think that those tickets are free.
we have student fees for sure that cover a lot of "free" things - so yes that would be a good point on if athletics is credited for some of those fees and then are they allocated to individual sports based on attendance or just kept at the AD level

Lots of room for creative accounting inside the university

flyfishingfrog

So many of you act like we have nickled and dimed this baseball program. From what I gather, our coaches make close to the top in salaries. We fly the team most everywhere. We have sent them to both coasts for OOC games regularly. Yes, we do need to redo the seating area, but after the losses that occurred during the Covid thing, it may take longer to do than we would like. So no, we have not been cheap. You just have to wonder if personal problems had happened if we would even be having this conversation.
The failure to upgrade Lupton has been going on for a lot longer than COVID - it spans back to end years for CDC where he made promises that were not delivered because of other priorities. I get baseball isn't the most important but if you are going to commit to having a top tier program, then you need to deliver. If not, then be honest and say its not a priority like we do with many sports and adjust expectations.

Pharm Frog

we have student fees for sure that cover a lot of "free" things - so yes that would be a good point on if athletics is credited for some of those fees and then are they allocated to individual sports based on attendance or just kept at the AD level

Lots of room for creative accounting inside the university

Creative is a gracious euphemism for some of the shenanigans

flyfishingfrog

so just for the record - I don't feel like this Schloss to Aggy is as done as deal as is being reported.

Not saying it won't happen - but from what i can tell it is not anywhere near "done" or too late for TCU.

There is a pretty reasonable explanation for a lot of the things being perceived as indicators he is gone - like needing to meet with our AD because a planned meeting got interrupted by us having to play baseball or having to be a father and fulfilling commitments he had to made to his children who attend TCU, etc.

I still stand by the statement that Schloss was not and is not looking to leave TCU - but that does not mean he won't if our University can't make the commitment needed to stay a top tier program.

Punter1

so just for the record - I don't feel like this Schloss to Aggy is as done as deal as is being reported.

Not saying it won't happen - but from what i can tell it is not anywhere near "done" or too late for TCU.

There is a pretty reasonable explanation for a lot of the things being perceived as indicators he is gone - like needing to meet with our AD because a planned meeting got interrupted by us having to play baseball or having to be a father and fulfilling commitments he had to made to his children who attend TCU, etc.

I still stand by the statement that Schloss was not and is not looking to leave TCU - but that does not mean he won't if our University can't make the commitment needed to stay a top tier program.

I think the Aggjes might be getting cold feet on Schloss. I would.

I know Schloss is a big-name that will please alumni and is a safe hire for the AD...but maybe the fact we aren't (my speculation) trying to keep him might scare Aggie off. Add that to lackluster finishes and weird coaching moves lately....If I were Aggie AD I'd look a different direction.

LisaLT

Heefner isnt leaving DBU from what I have been told by people close to him - he is strongly religious and believes in the schools continued adherence to those beliefs overall.

Not interested in schools that do not - and neither A&M or TCU do anymore...

students at DBU still go to chapel twice a week as a requirement for example.
are there only baptists that attend school there? yikes

flyfishingfrog

I think the Aggjes might be getting cold feet on Schloss. I would.

I know Schloss is a big-name that will please alumni and is a safe hire for the AD...but maybe the fact we aren't (my speculation) trying to keep him might scare Aggie off. Add that to lackluster finishes and weird coaching moves lately....If I were Aggie AD I'd look a different direction.
Maybe

But I also don't think he wants to leave - this boards perception of his life and his personal situation in FtW is not reality

Personally I think their AD is laughing at ours

LisaLT

First Tee Frog

flyfishingfrog

I’ve got faith and am a preachers kid and elder in my church. No chance I’m going to chapel there. It’s a very narrow view of faith.
yes but it is the choice of kids that do go there - and lots of other options for those that don't agree.

I guess my point was it should not seem odd that a school would still have a chapel requirement given that there are literally hundreds of schools in the country to chose from if you don't want it.

steelfrog

Tier 1
including scholarship "costs" into any analysis on a sport is just a tool for people who want to argue against athletic spending anyway - those costs are fixed if you have a program and only go away if you cancel it. We won't be a partially funded school for a sport we participate in - so when determining what level of investment you are wiling to make, they are irrelevant.
Well, Coach Schloss disagrees with you.

In fact, every coach would disagree with you. At public schools, for example, coaches routinely and predictably go to great lengths to get out of state athletes on their team qualified for in-state tuition, to lessen the budget hit.

flyfishingfrog

Well, Coach Schloss disagrees with you.

In fact, every coach would disagree with you. At public schools, for example, coaches routinely and predictably go to great lengths to get out of state athletes on their team qualified for in-state tuition, to lessen the budget hit.
your rambling actually reinforced my point....so thanks....And Schloss agrees with me that our schools investment level to succeed in baseball should not be lower because our tuition costs are higher, the investment money it takes to be successful is the same here as it is at Texas or Miss St. - so not sure why you think otherwise.

I was pointing out that the "investment" a school makes and the ROI on that investment should not be required to cover fake costs of scholarships since the actual cost of having an athlete at TCU is not anywhere close to the tuition a full-pay student incurs....

And the fact that state schools make exceptions for out of state athletes demonstrates how much BS there is to the idea....because we all know a kid from California costs more to educate than one from East Texas

tcumaniac

This is real bad news if it’s really the mindset of the powers that be at the university. Back to irrelevance we go. Seems as if the whole place has been taken over by SJWs with better things to do than root for icky sports.
Go look at our new dean of admission's twitter account. It's absolutely vomit inducing how proudly woke and leftist he is.

I don't know anything about our current provost Teresa Abi-Nader Dahlberg as she's new since I was there, but a lot of her background and resume seems to be focused on diversity, which is often code for being a SJW.

Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs, Kathy Cavins Tull is a super wokey... I know her personally.

We know where the faculty stands.

Would be curious how the makeup of the board has changed over the years....

Circling back to baseball, there's no way in heck Dan Heefner considers TCU. As flyfishingfrog stated, his faith and convictions are super important to him... from everything I've ever heard, he's extremely unlikely to associate himself with a university that prioritizes wokeness and leftist virtue signally over logic and truth.

PurpleBlood87

I'm sure some enterprising journalist will hear about the Christian based experience at DBU and do a hit piece on the school in the vein of the attacks on ORU during March Madness.

steelfrog

Tier 1
your rambling actually reinforced my point....so thanks....And Schloss agrees with me that our schools investment level to succeed in baseball should not be lower because our tuition costs are higher, the investment money it takes to be successful is the same here as it is at Texas or Miss St. - so not sure why you think otherwise.

I was pointing out that the "investment" a school makes and the ROI on that investment should not be required to cover fake costs of scholarships since the actual cost of having an athlete at TCU is not anywhere close to the tuition a full-pay student incurs....

And the fact that state schools make exceptions for out of state athletes demonstrates how much BS there is to the idea....because we all know a kid from California costs more to educate than one from East Texas
That's from your perspective, which seems like a purely economic one.

From THEIR perspective, they are judged by holding costs down, bringing money in, etc. This includes travel and equipment and facilities and a lot of other stuff in addition to the inflated tuition that goes into the budget as real dollars along with everything else that you would consider real dollars, though you apparently don't consider the tuition real dollars.

Steel has talked to college coaches about this, including Schloss; have YOU talked to anyone about this or are you just pulling things out of your dogbutt?

And certain of the powers that be also consider lost opportunity costs

Status
Not open for further replies.